Windows 10: Upgrading to 10 soon, few questions

Discus and support Upgrading to 10 soon, few questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'll be upgrading to Windows 10, from 8.1, tomorrow. But before I do it i'll backup everything I can to avoid losing anything important, and ask a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xehanort, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Xehanort Win User

Upgrading to 10 soon, few questions

I'll be upgrading to Windows 10, from 8.1, tomorrow. But before I do it i'll backup everything I can to avoid losing anything important, and ask a few questions to you gusy who understand the matter way better than me:

.I'm planning on using a bootable USB to perform a clean install, after the upgrade is successful. I used the media creation tool to create a 10 Home Single Language, both x86 and x64 bootable USB, but the media creation tool did not ask me about UEFI or Legacy. I have no ideia what either of those are, so I was wondering if anyone could clarify it for me and if I should be careful.

.I see many people are facing issues with the installation not being successful, stoping at different percentages. My question is, what can I do if it happens to me?

That's it for now, if I could get answers for these i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time *Smile

:)

Xehanort, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Jeff51_a Win User

A few questions about upgrading to Windows 10

somebody please reply

Jeff51_a, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Jeff51_a Win User
    A few questions about upgrading to Windows 10

bump again

Jeff51_a, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Hopefully the MCT creates the right kind of flash drive automatically, UEFI/GPT or BIOS/MBR. You can search Google for what those are.

If you have problems post here and we'll see if we can help. A lot of people have been helped but many have not found a resolution yet so are waiting for Microsoft or a device manufacturer to fix their specific problem. No way we can tell you what to do at this point.

I'd strongly urge you to do a image backup to an external hard drive using software like Macrium Reflect Free
    A good tutorial here: Imaging with free Macrium
    Says it's for Windows 7 but applies to Windows 8 as well.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Xehanort Win User
    Thank you for your reply *Smile
    I've done some research, but I'm having trouble understanding what it really is. From what I can gather they're different ways of partitioning drives, and UEFI/GPT is the new standard so I assume I should go for UEFI/GPT since my laptop is new and a powerhouse (ASUS G751JY)

But even so, is there any way I can check if my bootable USB is UEFI/GPT or if my laptop is compatible? And before the clean install, I should probably delete all partitions on the drive where i'm installing 10 and leave it as unnalocated space right?

...damn, this is confusing *Confused
    Yeah I probably should, have to find a drive big enough for a image backup though.

Xehanort, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Easiest way to test the flash drive is to try to booty it. There should be a Fn key you can press at boot time to bring up the boot menu where you can choose what device to boot from.

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

It's for 8 but holds fro 10 as well. Boot it far enough to be sure it works then cancel out until your actually ready to do it.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading to 10 soon, few questions - Similar Threads - Upgrading soon few

2. Upgrade Soon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Soon: Windows TypeTaskbarLeftsideRightSideWidgetSettingScreenWin 10Simple Option For Change BehaviourCan Add Left Side For Use App use in season or zone or peopleadd one popup in right for add new thingsWidget Must Added Use Data Must not only in admin tools can change thatsetting...
  3. Upgrade Soon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Soon: Windows TypeTaskbarLeftsideRightSideWidgetSettingScreenWin 10Simple Option For Change BehaviourCan Add Left Side For Use App use in season or zone or peopleadd one popup in right for add new thingsWidget Must Added Use Data Must not only in admin tools can change thatsetting...
  4. A FEW QUESTIONS REGRADING WINDOWS 11 UPGRADE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A FEW QUESTIONS REGRADING WINDOWS 11 UPGRADE: I have a few questions about a Windows 11 upgrade. I currently have the following system:Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎10/‎15/‎2020 OS build 19043.1586 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 on the following HP Laptop 171-by-1xxx...
  5. A FEW QUESTIONS REGRADING WINDOWS 11 UPGRADE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A FEW QUESTIONS REGRADING WINDOWS 11 UPGRADE: I have a few questions about a Windows 11 upgrade. I currently have the following system:Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎10/‎15/‎2020 OS build 19043.1586 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 on the following HP Laptop 171-by-1xxx...
  6. A few Noobish questions about Upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A few Noobish questions about Upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10: **Preamble, you can skip this if you like** So I never upgraded when everyone else did. For whatever reason, my corner of the internet was preaching that win10 was the devil, it'll steal your information, it'll update itself whenever it wants and kill whatever you were...
  7. a few Windows 10 questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    a few Windows 10 questions: Hi, I bought a Mini PC AWOW Desktop Computer Intel Celeron N3450 Windows 10 last weak to do Windows things on after only owning Macs since 2012. Really liking it so far, but did have a couple questions was hoping you guys could help me out with. The first was trying to...
  8. A few questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A few questions: Hi there! I am a 19-year old student studying Level 3 Print Media & Journalism in the UK, a Creative Media course. I recently purchased a HP Stream 11 laptop, which arrived yesterday. I bought it to do my college work during this period of all schools + colleges being...
  9. A few questions for decision to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A few questions for decision to upgrade: Currently, Win7 Pro on new laptop- I purchased a refurbished Lenovo T530 (replacing a limping 6-7 year old T61), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM built 2012, Nvidia card, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) NO TOUCH, Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz). The machine config I wanted is not being produced yet...
  10. A few upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A few upgrade questions: I will be upgrading from 64-bit W8.1 Pro to 64-bit W10 Pro in the near future. A few questions:- 1) I run 64-bit W8.1 Pro on a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard. I dont have a graphics nor sound card since I use the on-board graphics and audio functions on the board....