Windows 10: Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible

Discus and support Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I would like to ask why is the installation of 20H2 enforced. It forcibly installed today and now it's trying to reboot to replace my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by L3vi4thanZG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible

Hello.

I would like to ask why is the installation of 20H2 enforced. It forcibly installed today and now it's trying to reboot to replace my currently running version. Is there a way to stop it?

The problem is that 20H1 and 20H2 are awfully unstable, for some reason, last time I installed 20H1, I got stopscreens non-stop. I did try to install 20H2 twice, first time it resulted in stop-screen and next time it was even more interesting. It wasn't stopscreening, it seemed like a memory corruption. SHA512 hash of a single 500mb file resulted in a different hash value every time and due to that it was even worse than a stop-screen, it resulted in corrupted files/data/processes. I would guess the file was cached and that memory cache was tainted/corrupted by something. BIOS, drivers and so on were up to date, newest available.

My current 1909 works flawlessly 24/7, only rebooting it for Windows Update. No bad-blocks, no faulty memory regions.

One more things to note is that it behaves the same with a clean install of 20H1/20H2, not just the in place upgrade.

I do not have any eccentric hardware.

- MSI X470 Gaming Plus

- Ryzen 1700X

- GeForce 1070Ti

Any hints or ideas what to do? At least to hard-stop the upgrade? Since it's a no-go, for me.

A side question, how long will 1909 receive critical security updates?

Kind regards,

Luke.

:)

L3vi4thanZG, Apr 21, 2021
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade

I doubt it is a glitch. I suspect it was designed that way.

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2021
  3. Aaron_511 Win User
    Option to upgrade to 20H2 is not present in 1903

Hi Daniela.

Thank you for the swift response in regards to my question, may I know what you meant by "Install the system updates prior to this latest version recently released to which you want to get"?

Right now I am just trying to install the 20H2 update so I am more curious if is possible to upgrade from 1903 straight towards 20H2 or if I am supposed to upgrade to another build (such as 1909, I have tested on another PC where it is using a 2004 build
    and that upgraded to 20H2 without any issues so I was wondering if this might be the case whereby there is a minimum build version requirement for upgrading to 20H2) before being able to upgrade towards 20H2.

Thank you.

Aaron_511, Apr 21, 2021
  4. Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible

Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible

1. Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible - Similar Threads - Upgrading 20H2 impossible

2. Windows 10 Impossible to update to ver 20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Impossible to update to ver 20H2: Hi everyone and thank you in advance for the time spent.I am currently unable to update to the most recent win10 version a computerthe update succesfully downloads and installs itself, but when the computer restarts itself to deploy and finalize the update it displays...
  3. Cant upgrade to 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant upgrade to 20H2: Hey guys! I tried for hours now to finally upgrade to 20H2 but the update keeps failing at some point. I dont know where exactly but after downloading 100% (and I think it also said installing) it tells me I have to restart my PC. After restarting I get a message that the...
  4. 20H2 upgrade issue

20H2 upgrade issue: after 20H2 upgrade the local accounts switch vanished from the starting page. I cannot step in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/20h2-upgrade-issue/dd0e0ab7-e163-4cc4-8da9-dfd428e73377
  5. 20H2 upgrade issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    20H2 upgrade issues: Is it normal for this update to allow ONLY a Hello PIN to log onto the computer? Before the update I was logging in with a password, now it's not even an option. I've tried the registry mod without any luck....
  6. Upgrade to 20H2 fails

Upgrade to 20H2 fails: When trying to upgrade to 20H2, I get this error. 0x8e5e0152 I have a 2 m. 2 to start another one for normal things, music, games, etc. I'm not sure if I put something where it shouldn't be and screwed up my intuitive experience. I will provide more information if...
  7. After Upgrade To 20H2 ...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After Upgrade To 20H2 ...: Yesterday, after upgrade to 20H2, the 'View Optional Updates' appeared. I cliked on it and this appeared : . [ATTACH] . I have the system configured to NOT update automatically and 'Notify' me when updates are available.. Also, notice that some of these are years old. I am...
  8. Upgrade to 20H2 failed

Upgrade to 20H2 failed: The laptop was offered the feature upgrade to Win 10 20H2. It is still running 1903. It had failed 1909, 2004 with this error 0x80004005 - 0x1000A,The installation failed in the DOWNLEVEL phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation. Since Microsoft does not like...
  9. Impossible to upgrade windows 10

Impossible to upgrade windows 10: Hi all, I need support because i am very tired and disappointed from this new model of upgrading windows, introduced with windows 10. The machine of interest is a Dell laptop, type of mobile workstation, Precision M6800. It is quite powerful i can say and in excellent...
  10. Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10

Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10: Yesterday i received a notification that my laptop was approved and confirmed ready to upgrade to Windows 10. So i launched the Windows 10 Upgrade popup and initiated the upgrade. It reached the screen where a round circle appears with the percentage status inside, and it...