Windows 10: Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

Discus and support Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the right sub for this but, I currently have an OMEN b HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop w/ 144Hz Anti-Glare G-Sync Display, with GTX 1060.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/trifton1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

Not sure if this is the right sub for this but, I currently have an OMEN b HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop w/ 144Hz Anti-Glare G-Sync Display, with GTX 1060. Series number: 17-an120nr

It came installed with a 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive + 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive. I have already replaced the Hard drive with a SSD, but was wanting to upgrade my M.2 SSD to a 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2. However Windows 10 is installed on my m.2 SSD. Is there a way I can easily transfer windows to a Flash drive, or my other currently installed SSD, upgrade my M.2, and transfer back to the new M.2 SSD? The laptop came pre-installed with windows so I dont believe i have a windows key. Windows takes up most of my M.2 SSD and would like to have some games on it. I dont necessarily want to mess with a partition master if i dont have to. Thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/trifton1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/trifton1, Oct 18, 2020

2. transfering windows 10 from sata ssd to m.2 ssd

Yes, here are your options:

Option 1: Cloning:

How to Clone or Move Your Windows 10 Installation to a Larger Hard Disk or SSD

Option 2: download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install then reinstall your apps. There is no deactivation involved.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: Install the new SSD

Step 3:

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Lagged Win User
    M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Jefrison Win User

Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

M.2 SSD Drive With Windows 10 Listed as Disk 1 in Disk Management,

Hi, In my pc M.2 SSD with Windows 10 OS is listed as Disk 1 and not as Disk 0 in Disk Management. Also, the same drive is listed as Removable devices which is actually internal SSD.

Can anybody help me resolve this, please?

Jefrison, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

1. Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows - Similar Threads - Upgrading Larger SSD

2. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  3. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  4. M.2 ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 ssd upgrade: Hi, Im new to the world of ssd and pc upgrades today im going to install an m.2 nvme ssd to my laptop and keep my old hard drive so my question is if i unplug the hard drive put in the m.2 nvme ssd install windows on it and then plug the hard drive again do i lose any data of...
  5. M.2 ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 ssd upgrade: Hi, Im new to the world of ssd and pc upgrades today im going to install an m.2 nvme ssd to my laptop and keep my old hard drive so my question is if i unplug the hard drive put in the m.2 nvme ssd install windows on it and then plug the hard drive again do i lose any data of...
  6. M.2 ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  8. ?M.2 or ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  9. Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD

Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD: I got a new m.2 drive for Christmas and ive been trying to set it up so that my new SSD drive will replace my old hdd. I partitioned and cloned the new drive and it works well with HDD. However when I take the hdd drive out and turn my computer back on it brings up support...
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...