Windows 10: Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

Discus and support Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; If I upgrade to a new motherboard, would it be fine if I just connect my old ssd to it and boot windows from there or would there be complications?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Rocketmanjoey, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

If I upgrade to a new motherboard, would it be fine if I just connect my old ssd to it and boot windows from there or would there be complications?

submitted by /u/Rocketmanjoey
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Rocketmanjoey, Feb 10, 2020
  2. MTC147 Win User

Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I logged into the Windows (it is win10 pro, offer from win7 free upgrade). The activation of windows became
    invalid and keep informing me to re-activate. Then I used the troubleshooting tools provided, it does show my old PC but not the new one. Therefore, I couldn't finish the activation with the new hardware. Is there any other method for me to re-activate?
    Thanks

MTC147, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Jguo65 Win User

Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need
    to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license
    on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

1. Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd - Similar Threads - Upgrading motherboard already

2. Removing old SSD with windows home, upgrading new SSD with windows pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing old SSD with windows home, upgrading new SSD with windows pro: So, I have 3 drives on my PC a really old SSD 8-10years that only houses windows, a newer SSD 3 years old that has active files and software that require licenses such as Photoshop and bluebeam, then an HDD that stores all inactive files.I am looking to upgrade both SSDs that...
  3. Removing old SSD with windows home, upgrading new SSD with windows pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing old SSD with windows home, upgrading new SSD with windows pro: So, I have 3 drives on my PC a really old SSD 8-10years that only houses windows, a newer SSD 3 years old that has active files and software that require licenses such as Photoshop and bluebeam, then an HDD that stores all inactive files.I am looking to upgrade both SSDs that...
  4. Removing old SSD with windows home, upgrading new SSD with windows pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  6. New Motherboard, old User

New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  7. windows 11 NOT working after upgraded motherboard dont have old motherboard and the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 NOT working after upgraded motherboard dont have old motherboard and the...: Windows 11 pro is NOT working after I upgraded my motherboard and the ORIGINAL authentic key doesn't work anymore i contacted best buy because thats where i bought my pc and they said i need to contact microsoft support. please help; Troubleshooting does nothing and it keeps...
  8. windows 11 NOT working after upgraded motherboard dont have old motherboard and the...

windows 11 NOT working after upgraded motherboard dont have old motherboard and the...: Windows 11 pro is NOT working after I upgraded my motherboard and the ORIGINAL authentic key doesn't work anymore i contacted best buy because thats where i bought my pc and they said i need to contact microsoft support. please help; Troubleshooting does nothing and it keeps...
  9. Reinstalling Windows onto a new motherboard with an ssd that has windows on it already

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows onto a new motherboard with an ssd that has windows on it already: I had windows installed on an ssd and i exchanged the motherboard for another one. i rebuilt my pc with the new mobo and it wouldn’t load past bios despite not wiping my ssd. i put my usb key with windows on it to reinstall it and it asked me which partition to install it...
  10. Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD: HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I logged into the Windows (it is win10 pro, offer from win7 free upgrade). The activation of windows became invalid and keep...