Windows 10: Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

Discus and support Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Currently I have Windows 10 (up to date) and Windows 7 (up to date) both x64 Pro on a booting SSD. When I boot the PC, it shows me which one I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JuliusBT, Dec 11, 2019.

1. JuliusBT Win User

Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

Currently I have Windows 10 (up to date) and Windows 7 (up to date) both x64 Pro on a booting SSD.

When I boot the PC, it shows me which one I would like to boot with. Once installed that way using Windows 10,

so the boot option is a Windows 10 style menu, not the old-school Windows 7 dual boot screen.

Now, after working most of my time in Win 10, and having been able to upgrade all drivers and software

that didn't work in Windows 10 yet, that did work in Windows 7, I would finally like to drop Windows 7 entirely.

And since I'm upgrading to a faster nvme m.2 ssd, I would like to do the two steps in one go, if at all possible.

(But I would still like to have good recovery options. I've often been able to use the Win 7 boot option to fix

stuff for the Win 10 partition etc.)

What's the best way to go about this?

I'm experienced using Macrium Reflect to clone disks and boot drives,

but I'm not sure which partitions I should then copy, or if I need to re-install Win 10 on the new drive alone

and use some sort of Microsoft account profile to start anew with the new M.2 ssd taking as much as I can

through the MS account into the new install.

What would you recommend me doing? If I do need to perform a fresh install, does the license still work, and if so, how to handle that?

Is it for example possible to install windows 10 cleanly on that new ssd,

and then use macrium reflect to overwrite only the Win10 partition from the older ssd,

so everything is still there and I don't need to re-install all 3rd party software/drivers etc. ?

TIA

:)

JuliusBT, Dec 11, 2019
  2. Js3199 Win User

Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Dec 11, 2019
  3. 24C
    24c Win User
    M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

@essenbe - thanks for the video - it was pretty much the same instructions I had - with the addition of the d/l folder - I installed the drivers as suggested - ended up with the below pic - Drive 2 - unallocated space is the RAID drvie - out of frustration I decided to format the drive and when it finished the "can't install" deal was still there - again out of frustration - I hit NEXT and Windows installed to the drive <- Good News/Bad News -> Windows will not boot and the drive is not listed under boot options - BUT - progress is being made -break time - *Confused

Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option [​IMG]

4. Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

1. Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option - Similar Threads - Upgrading NVMe SSD

2. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  3. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  4. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  5. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  6. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  7. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Support
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  8. NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...
  9. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  10. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...