Windows 10: Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

Discus and support Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the title implies I am currently trying to upgrade my Window Home to Window Pro, but it won't allow me to upgrade since it is an unactivated version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nah Ornitier, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

As the title implies I am currently trying to upgrade my Window Home to Window Pro, but it won't allow me to upgrade since it is an unactivated version of home or at least that's what I think the problem is. Is there something I am missing?

:)

Nah Ornitier, Dec 31, 2018

2. Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

As the title implies I am currently trying to upgrade my Window Home to Window Pro, but it won't allow me to upgrade since it is an unactivated version of home or at least that's what I think the problem is. Is there something I am missing?

Nah Ornitier, Jan 10, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Unactivated Windows 10 Home upgrade to Wndows 10 Pro

Why don't you just try it? One of three outcomes will occur:

1. It will reject the key and your back where you started, using an unactivated version of Windows 10 Home which violates the end user license agreement (EULA).

2. It upgrades to Pro but does not activate. Not much change in your situation. Now instead of using an unactivated Windows 10 Home you are using an unactivated Windows 10 Pro which violates the user agreement (EULA).

3. It upgrades to Pro and does activate. Assuming that the same Windows 10 Pro product key is not currently being used on another computer, now you are in compliance with the EULA. If you are reusing the Pro product key to install and run more than 1 copy of Windows, now you are still not much better than situation 1 or 2 above.

In any case, you are going to spend about 2 minutes changing the product key and see what happens.

NavyLCDR, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

Windows 10 Pro digital license transfer

Hi Chg,

There isn't an exact clarity on this by Microsoft but I believe the Pro upgrade inherits the type of license from the base*, which is OEM. However, Microsoft once also stated that in OEMs there are exceptions and a license transfer may be possible.

The following approach is what I suggest.

• First of all, add the older device having Windows 10 Pro in your Microsoft account again.
    • On the new device, use the following generic key to upgrade to Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    • You would see Windows unactivated. Run the activation troubleshooter and select I recently changed hardware.
    • Select the older device and see if it activates.
    Remember: If my assumption * is true, you may be left in an unactivated OS. In that case, you might need a factory reset or call Microsoft to get a pass.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Sumit- Windows Insider MVP, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

1. Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS - Similar Threads - Upgrading pro unactivated

2. Upgrading an unactivated Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading an unactivated Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Pro: Hi,I will be building a PC for the first time in the coming week or so, but currently have a placeholder graphics card until I am able to afford a new one. This GPU R9 380 only has drivers for Windows 10 due to not being supported anymore, therefore I will have to install...
  3. Upgrading an unactivated Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading an unactivated Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Pro: Hi,I will be building a PC for the first time in the coming week or so, but currently have a placeholder graphics card until I am able to afford a new one. This GPU R9 380 only has drivers for Windows 10 due to not being supported anymore, therefore I will have to install...
  4. Upgrading an unactivated Windows 10 Home to Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade from unactivated windows 10 education to windows 10 home ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade from unactivated windows 10 education to windows 10 home ?: I got windows 10 education unactivated installed onto my newly built computer as I had access to the product key from Microsoft Azure a few days ago, but now it's not available ? or not showing up on my student account anymore. Of course, now that I don't have a product key...
  6. upgrading from windows 10 home unactivated to windows 10 pro

upgrading from windows 10 home unactivated to windows 10 pro: i have used my PC with an unactivated copy of Windows 10 home and now i wanted to activate it and switch to windows 10 Pro. i have bought a fresh key for windows 10 Pro and have tried to use it to upgrade/activate my version. since i cant activate my unactivated windows 10...
  7. Changing My Unactivated Version of Windows from Home to Pro

Changing My Unactivated Version of Windows from Home to Pro: Hey there. This morning some friends and I installed a new MoBo, CPU, and other hardware into a PC that I'd had for almost a year up until this point. In doing this, we were able to boot on the 2nd try. We kept the original HDD and installed a new SSD via SATA. When...
  8. Upgrade from unactivated windows 10 home to windows ten pro

Upgrade from unactivated windows 10 home to windows ten pro: Hi I currently have windows 10 home that is not yet activated, however I now realise I would need windows 10 pro and I need a licence. How do I go about this do I just enter a windows 10 pro product key? Many thanks :)...
  9. Unactivated Windows 10 Home upgrade to Wndows 10 Pro

Unactivated Windows 10 Home upgrade to Wndows 10 Pro: Hi all, Tonight I installed an unactivated version of Windows 10 Home on an external SSD using my Macbook Pro. My plan is to run windows off the external dive to play games using Steam, and such while on vacation, etc. but still be able to use OSx. Some of the games are PC...
  10. I cant upgrade unactivated windows 10 home to pro

I cant upgrade unactivated windows 10 home to pro: So i bought a key from a friend who had a spare one, and when i tried to activate it always came it with an error. He told me in order for the key to work, i need to upgrade to pro first. How do i do this? I've tried many methods and nothings worked....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Upgraded to an unactivated version