Windows 10: Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :

Discus and support Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home : in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I must share my weird experience I had today, and I hope somebody here can shed some light on it: I have just recently March bought my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mr.Alakapaka, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :

Hi all,

I must share my weird experience I had today, and I hope somebody here can shed some light on it:

I have just recently March bought my computer Thinkpad X1 carbon, with a windows 10 pro edition included.
    Installed windows by myself from the BIOS on the first boot and since then I've been enjoying a win 10 pro as promised by the shop that i bought it from.

I decided to give a go to the new WSL 2 featured on the last 19041 build release, and so i began with the updating process.

Finished the process and then - SURPRISE! my OS is no longer pro.

I've contacted the Microsoft support and even got them on the phone, they were very helpful and gave me this info:

1. The original product key i own is actually a win 10 home edition.

2. The product key was activated on September 2019, while i bought and installed windows on March.

I checked a bit further, and after running slmgr.vbs -dli saw that the channel it is using is OEM_DEM.

my questions are:

Could it be that the seller somehow rigged the install to appear as pro while it`s not? Is it even possible to do?

Is it true that OEM_DEM installations don't come as pro edition in advance?

And if it's true, does having an OEM_DEM presented as pro edition is my "smoking gun" for fraud?

Did the store scammed me? And if they did, can and should I inform Microsoft somehow?

Many thanks in advance for all helpers!

:)

Mr.Alakapaka, Jun 11, 2020
  2. Mr. Low Win User

Can I still upgrade Win 7 (Pro) to Win 10 Pro for free in 2020?

Hi,

The last time Microsoft offer a free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 was many years ago.

Now in 2020, If P buy a refurbish PC with Win 7 (Pro), can I still upgrade it to Win 10 (Pro) online for free ?

MS is no more supporting Win 7 starting from Jan 2020.

Thanks

Mr. Low, Jun 11, 2020
  3. DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

I refer to the following Microsoft Community Team’s query:

“……Remember that question you asked on
    Microsoft Community
    a few days ago?

Title:
    DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.

The issue “DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO” is unanswered. The suggestion to refer to the link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
    does not answer my query as well. I knew the prerequisites of upgrading to Win 10 from either Win 7 Ultimate or Win 8.1 Home as I have read the min. requirements/machine
    specifications to upgrade directly either from the aforesaid OSes beforehand. The issue is whether from Win 8.1 Home downgrade to Win 7 Ultimate and from thereafter upgrade to Win 10 Pro possible without technicality issues. Nevertheless, since I cannot wait
    for either a reply to the abovementioned issue (or my reservation to upgrade from Win 8.1 Home), I then gathered/downloaded bits and pieces of probable drivers for my machine, formatted my HDD (1TB) for more than 18 hours, clean install Win 7 Ultimate SP1,
    activated using my previously purchased license and ran Windows afterwards, ran updates until repetitive error (around 25 KB updates failed to install many times) popped up during tiresome cyclic updates process. Fed-up with the errors after failed tries to
    source answers from Microsoft Community, I tried my luck by upgrading to Win 10 Pro. After couple of days, viola, I have upgraded to Win 10 Pro finally, whew! Now I am running this machine with Win 10 Pro for a couple of days now, being up to date and running
    very well. Hopefully no problem/s will arise.

Thank to those suggestions though.

TheGragasins, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :

win 10 downgrade to win 7

Hi,

You can downgrade it, BUT:

As it is an OEM preinstalled operating system Windows 10 Pro, you will have to contact Lenovo and discuss this with them.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software
    To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows downgrade rights ]

To use prior versions of Windows software on PCs installed with newer versions, it is possible for consumers to obtain a license for downgrade rights. These downgrade rights will vary depending on whether the software was acquired via Volume Licensing,
    OEM, or FPP. To learn more about these rights, review the
    downgrade rights licensing brief
    . Prior versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm.
    For more information, please see the Microsoft Lifecycle FAQ. A device may not be able to run prior versions of Windows if the
    device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside of the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) support period.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :

1. Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home : - Similar Threads - Upgrading May 2020

2. how to downgrade win 10 from pro to home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to downgrade win 10 from pro to home: My win 10 pro installation will no longer activate. After any Win Update, my PC detects my original Win 10 Home license, but not my Win 10 Pro organizational license. I no longer have my Win 10 Home media. For years I've functioned without having Win 10 Pro "activated", but...
  3. Upgrading and downgrading windows 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading and downgrading windows 10 home to pro: I am having oem windows 10 home laptopsoftware pre installed by the laptop manufacturer, I am thinking to upgrade to windows 10 Pro, in feature I think to downgrade to old ome windows 10 home can I use old oem product keyproduct key pre activated by my laptop manufacturer....
  4. Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :

Upgrading to the new May 2020 version causes downgrading mystery! win 10 pro => home :: Hi all, I must share my weird experience I had today, and I hope somebody here can shed some light on it: I have just recently March bought my computer Thinkpad X1 carbon, with a windows 10 pro edition included. Installed windows by myself from the BIOS on the first boot...
  5. Downgrade from Win 10 Pro to Home

Downgrade from Win 10 Pro to Home: I Recently brought a new laptop which had genuine Win 10 Home installed but i prefer Pro so i installed it but there was an activation error which said that "the digital license was registered for Win 10 Home Single Language user and not for Pro" so I want to know the proper...
  6. Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade

Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade: I am under the impression that I can use my Win 7 Pro product key to upgrade my Win 10 Home to Pro … is that true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-home-to-pro-upgrade/f9099c66-ec7c-4164-9c1d-6c13c9e11463
  7. Upgrading Win 10 home to pro

Upgrading Win 10 home to pro: I have Windows 10 home version on my laptop. I have purchased the pro version of Windows 10 and would like to upgrade. Is it possible to enter the pro version's serial number into the home version and have it update or do I need to wipe the drive and start fresh with the...
  8. Win 10 Upgrade Home to Pro

Win 10 Upgrade Home to Pro: I have an ASUS laptop which came with Win 10 Home. It has been activated and working fine for more than a year. I need the remote Desktop, so I went to the MS Store and paid my $99 for an upgrade to Pro. Now Win won't activate, saying I don't have a valid license. Also it...
  9. Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.

Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.: New Laptop arriving today - was only available at short notice with Windows 10 Home. I only use Windows Pro versions. Without spending an arm and a leg on a complete Pro package what is the best way forward. I will not be activating the Home version but will obviously need a...
  10. Win 10 Home to Pro upgrade

Win 10 Home to Pro upgrade: How do I upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with a digital Licence. The in structions say If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select Go to Microsoft Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to...