Windows 10: Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options

Discus and support Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My PC came with a W8 system image. I generally do a restore to factory settings every few months to keep the PC running clean. Will I be able to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ac75, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ac75 Win User

Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options

My PC came with a W8 system image. I generally do a restore to factory settings every few months to keep the PC running clean. Will I be able to do something similar with W10 once I complete the upgrade?

If I wish to do that and maintain activation, will I only be able to do the upgrade from W8 to W10 rather than a complete clean install of W10? To do a clean install of W10 I'd need an activation serial number, right?

I assume that when I complete the upgrade to W10 my factory image will be overwritten?

Thanks for any advice.

:)

2. Boot after Windows 10 Upgrade shows 2 operating systems

I have finished a Windows 10 free upgrade. When the system is booted up, I am presented with a screen "Choose Operating System". Windows 10 and Windows 7 are the options offered.

When I choose W10 the system comes up and passes activation.

If I choose W7 the system eventually returns to the "Choose Operating System" screen.

Two questions:

1) Is there any way for me to prevent this screen from being presented?

2) May I now perform a clean install? Will activation pass?

My first attempt to upgrade failed. I ended up formatting the boot partition and updating to W10 via the MS Media Creation

tool. The installation went well, but the activation failed. I chatted with MS and was told I had to buy Retail W10 at

that point. Instead I just restored the system to W7, went through the W10 upgrade, and now want to use the USB I made

with the Media Creation Tool for a true install vs upgrade. Will W10 activate if I do this?

HelpingwithW8, Sep 12, 2015
  3. LWDodd Win User
    Cannot Open IE in Windows 10

I'm not a tech savvy person. Not even sure what a mhtml file. I don't have any files now unless it came with Windows 10 except a few "one note" pages (only because they were letters I wrote and didn't delete and some notes I'd made and a riddle I had left
    as an icon on my Windows 7 desktop. W10 wiped out everything else I had and I cannot even get a restore point before W10.

The method I used to get rid of the flashing blue screen (as turn PC on hold ESC and tap F11 repeatedly) was a restore method HP had me use w/Vista problem before upgrade to W 7. I tried that out of sheer desperation to get rid of the non-responsive, irritating
    flashing W10 screen.. No real "restore" option other than try to upgrade with W10 again.

Any subsequent "advice" to restore was just me seeing the word with files in W10 list of stuff removed so I, mistakenly it seems, thought it was an option -- but it doesn't work for me -- doesn't help me: I have no restore point option dates prior to
    W10 even though my recovery hard drive is almost full so the info is still there. Others may, though, especially if they didn't have to try the upgrade the second time.

LWDodd, Sep 12, 2015
  4. KACI Win User

There are a number of 3rd party programs that will allow you to make a system image that you could restore from.

Once you've upgraded to 10 and its activated you can do all the clean installs you want. Just make sure you upgrade and its activated first.

5. ac75 Win User
    I may be missing something but to do a clean install and then activate it, I'd need an activation serial, right? Which MS doesn't provide unless you buy retail? I'm just using the free download version.

6. KACI Win User
    Once you upgrade and its activated the MS servers maintains that record. There will no longer be a key that you keep. Once activated always activated for the life of that machine. If you do a clean install all you'll have to do is skip if it ask for a key and when it's done it will automatically be activated. The key is to make sure you upgrade first and get it activated.

7. ac75 Win User
    Oh yeah! Didn't think about that at all but it makes everything so much easier.

Thanks!

ac75, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options - Similar Threads - Upgrading W10 System

2. System restore after Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore after Pro upgrade: I bought a laptop with Windows Home. Wanted to run Hyper-V so I upgraded that to Windows Pro through Microsoft Store. Got that working but it leaves me wondering... If I had to reset to factory install, would I loose the Windows Pro upgrade, and have to pay $99 again, or...
  3. system restore option-

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore option-: Hello, I have done system restore from current image several times & while it seems to be running better now, it's definetly not at optimal use. Every time you restore to a previous state via system restore, trace amounts of previous updates are still deep in the system...
  4. restore the system to a point previous to the default options.

restore the system to a point previous to the default options.: Hi community, I want to restore the system to a point previous to the default options, which only go back a couple of months. How do I do that?...
  5. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?: Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file. I added a desktop shortcut to a web page a couple of days ago and this morning carried out a system restore to restore my desktop PC configuration...
  6. How to get more system restore option?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get more system restore option?: I mentioned yesterday regarding an issue im having with audio after windows 10 2004 version update posted here https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6aq0q/windows_10_update_version_2004_caused_volume_to/ so i decided to try and system restore to undo that update. but...
  7. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?: Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file. I added a desktop shortcut to a web page a couple of days ago and this morning carried out a system restore to restore my desktop PC configuration...
  8. System Restore is a totally BROKEN option

System Restore is a totally BROKEN option: Hi, after my notebook automatically gave me this month's disastrous updates and everything got messed up i decided to use the 'System Restore' point that was created just before the update. (the option to return to previous version of win10 had already passed after 12h, or...
  9. Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image

Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image: I created an image of my tower a week or two ago. I decided to restore to said image, but cancelled it. I went to boot it up later, and I received an error that there was no OS. I reasoned that it would be fine to reinstall and then restore. I got W10 through the free upgrade...
  10. Is there a system restore feature in W10?

Is there a system restore feature in W10?: Today I somehow deleted an important folder from my desktop, and I am desperate to get it back? So is there a system restore feature in W10, if so where is it found, and would it restore my folder?*cry 104376

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade to w10 system restore