Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; At the WinHEC conference in China, Microsoft has announced several new details about the release of Windows 10, including that all pirated copies of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Read more: Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

Brink, Mar 17, 2015
  2. Vladimir Win User

What's Win8.1 S14 ??????????

:)

Vladimir, Mar 17, 2015
  3. Upgrading Win User
    My Nokia C3 is not supporting softwares

I have tried so many ways to download softwares, but to my efforts are all fruitless. When i go to other sites to download and install softwares, the place to download the software will not even be active and when i download from ovi store it is not supported.
    What should i do to end this problem?

Upgrading, Mar 17, 2015
  4. Sumit Dhiman2 Win User

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 17, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Windows 8.1 with Spring 2014 update version. *Smile

Brink, Mar 17, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    s14 is 8.1 update (you could have googled it you know *Wink )

The presentation this is article is based on is from here and is terribly badly written. They have slides asserting BIOS installation is not supported which is obviously not true. Poor guy - everyone jumping on him.

adamf, Mar 17, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Now this is great news!! A clean instillation of Win10!! YES!! *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Mar 17, 2015
  8. chrisa Win User

Hopefully for a small fee(think it was like $5 or $10) they'll send you the DVD like they did with Windows 8 :>.

Whats cool is I have 7 Home Premium which I originally bought with a license. I got full 8 Pro via their $20 update which has its own license key, even though it was an upgrade. And then I got a Surface Pro 3 with its own license. All 3 of those should be kicking up to Windows 10.

But I always make sure to get that original disk :>.

chrisa, Mar 18, 2015
  9. Mark Phelps Win User
    I, too, would LIKE to believe that not supporting legacy BIOS for Win10 released version is "not true". It's not likely all the Win7 folks that MS wants to do the Win10 "upgrade" are going to trash their desktops and go out and buy new machines, just to get the UEFI that Win10 supports. I have a "legacy" BIOS machine that is running win 8.1 64-bit and Win10 TP both just fine. I'm not going to scrap hundreds of dollars of working hardware just to embrace UEFI for Win10.

Some folks have said these same slides are intended ONLY for New Hardware -- which is most likely the case.

Problem is, I've yet to read anything about MS coming out with that "clarification".

So, until they do, all we can do is hope ...

Mark Phelps, Mar 18, 2015
  10. Slartybart Win User
    How about dis-engaging millions of users all around the world who PAID for their versions of Windows?

I'll take my refund when the Pirates get their OS for free!
    OEM incorporated Windows license X 6 machines = almost $700.00!
    Plus a few upgrades = almost $300.00

I guess MS figures that 100s of millions of pirate users are worth coddling so they can sell services. What's wrong with ta picture? You think people pirate SW because they're bad people? Most aren't - they simply cannot afford the cost of the OS if they also want to eat for the year.

Slartybart, Mar 18, 2015
  11. adamf Win User
    Interestingly when you upgrade a BIOS based TP to 10041 a new folder C:\EFI is created. I've no idea what if anything it is for.

adamf, Mar 18, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This is a bit dangerous of Ms offering FREE ISO's for PIRATED copies of Windows -- seems all one would have to do to get a FREE ISO is to download a PIRATE Windows 7 edition and then you'll qualify for a FREE OS -- assuming you don't have Windows 7 already on a disc somewhere.

However this should KILL a lot of Pirate activity regarding Windows -- perhaps Ms have seen the sense --offer a product at sensible prices without regional restrictions and you solve (mostly) the problem.

If you DO go this route though and Ms checks the OS before allowing the ISO download - install to a VM !!!. Pirating TV shows *might* be one thing - especially if those shows will never be shown in your region - but would you even THINK of running a Pirate OS - with goodness knows what added into it as your main OS. !!!

Rewarding Pirates though IMO is a bad precedent - especially to the folks who paid for their LEGIT Windows 7 systems -- perhaps Ms should give a small REFUND to all those who can show they have a LEGITIMATE copy of Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 18, 2015
  13. TairikuOkami Win User

Well MS offers downloads of Windows 7 SP1 ISOs by DigitalRiver.
    And 30 days trial is more than enough to upgrade to Windows 10.

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2015
  14. Slartybart Win User
    No longer - MS has been moving off DR over the past couple of years. First they moved everything to one or two servers, then they moved everything to their own servers. You can still download Win7 ISO, but you need a license to pull it down.

Microsoft Software Recovery

You can pull down a Windows 8 ISO without a key, but you need the key to install (unless it's an OEM machine with the key in BIOS)

One way or another, you need a license key.

Slartybart, Mar 18, 2015
  15. Boozad Win User
    I certainly hope that's how this upgrade goes, I'd love to claim a copy of W10 and keep my four W7 and one W8 licenses available. I wonder if they're OEM licenses they provide or retail, I'm presuming OEM.

Boozad, Mar 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths - Similar Threads - Upgrading Here are

2. Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network: One of the Windows 10 computers on my home network is not accessing other computers on the network even though I have checked no password required in advanced settings. Can anyone help me?...
  3. STEELSERIES Siberia 150 Wont work with the xbox app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STEELSERIES Siberia 150 Wont work with the xbox app on Windows 10: Hi everyone i just bought this USB headseat from steelseries and it works really well with anything and what i mean by that is i use it on Discord, Skype and in game chats but when it comes to the xbox app i get this: The sampling rate for your microphone is not supported...
  4. Windows 10 Photos

Windows 10 Photos: windows 10 photos stop working, Reset & Repair dose not respond on it … cant uninstall app and cant reinstalls it … how can I fix this ridicules problem on WINDOWS 10 !! I need to see my photos somehow dear Microsoft …. if its a application why you don't put the app...
  5. Windows 10 is glacial in performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is glacial in performance: My laptop is really running slowly at the moment. I sorted it out when it happened the other day when it first happened by doing a windows 10 update trouble shoot, but this time it didn't make any difference when I did it again. All programs run slow and performance manager...
  6. Microsoft’s Movies and TV app for Windows 10 gets Timeline support on Insider Rings

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Movies and TV app for Windows 10 gets Timeline support on Insider Rings: Movies and TV (also known as Films and TV in some regions) is getting a new update with major improvements. The latest update for Movies and TV app advances it to version Movies and TV app for Windows 10 is picking up an update on Fast Ring with a couple of new features. To...
  7. Windows 10 Edge

Windows 10 Edge: After an update, browser pages are opening in Internet explorer, not Edge. How can I correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-10-edge/59845d31-ccf8-4a95-b032-e63365187347
  8. WiFi dropping in Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Customization
    WiFi dropping in Windows 10...: My issue is with Windows 10 and my WiFi continually dropping...I'll be in the middle of working on a website (for a client or myself), and "you're not online" pops up...then, I have to stop & MANUALLY re-start the WiFi...AGAIN...several times!!! It's so fracking frustrating!!...
  9. Windows 10 built in apps not working after an update

Windows 10 built in apps not working after an update: Hi Don't know which update screwed this up but I now no longer have access to Win 10 built in apps such as calculator, photos, etc. I tried a app reset on calculator, but that didn't work and is now not showing at all. I have tried the following: Get-AppXPackage |...
  10. windows menu and emails not opening

windows menu and emails not opening: Hi there my windows menu will not open even if i click the windows key, my emails and windows store are also not opening... i have ran powershell but nothing seemed to be wrong...