Windows 10: Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; So, basically if we don't have a UEFI BIOS, then we can't get Windows 10? Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

So, basically if we don't have a UEFI BIOS, then we can't get Windows 10?

Jesse Williams, Mar 19, 2015

2. According to this story, the free upgrade for pirated copies may be a little confusing, apparently if the version of windows is non-genuine then it will still be classed as non-genuine after the upgrade...

The Windows 10 free upgrade for pirates: More confusing than it seems | Ars Technica

JDobbsy1987, Mar 19, 2015
  3. chrisa Win User
    There always has to be the 'Grass Is Greener Over There WAAAAHHHH!!' folks. You're getting Windows 10 for free, OK? No reason to moan about someone else's cabbage patch and look to scam a refund to boot through the manufacture of a false equivalency.

Just enjoy you're getting Windows 10 for FREE.

chrisa, Mar 19, 2015
  4. groze Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

*Ditto

Then that means there won't be 32 bit windows 10 even though Microsoft provided it with the windows 10 previews. I am not upgrading if I have to use UEFI. I have UEFI but I also multiple boot with other operating systems some are UEFI and some are not. I don't want to have to re-install my other operating system. I also read people have problems with Macrium Reflect if UEFI enabled.

groze, Mar 19, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    I've not experienced anything like that personally.

Boozad, Mar 19, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .sorry there Groze. . .but do you really think people care what you do. . .*Smile

7. BillyBob Win User
    When People were paying $100 to upgrade Windows they were complaining, when they were paying $39 they were complaining, when they were paying $20 they were complaining, now it's free they're complaining. I'm willing to bet when Microsoft gives everybody $50 to use Windows they'll still be complaining.

Apple screws everybody over and everyone's happy, Microsoft on the other hand can't do a thing right no matter what they do.

BillyBob, Mar 19, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

What if you have a motherboard or HDD/SDD failure?? You would have to reinstall the OS.. the key to making this easy is having copies of the software you install ready so you don't have to re-download everything and the process goes faster. IMO

BunnyJ, Mar 19, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The whole UEFI thing is Pie in the sky -- there's almost BILLIONS of perfectly serviceable non UEFI computers out there which are quite capable of running Windows.

If you use an SSD in any case there's usually not much value into turning that into a GPT drive. Other GPT drives can be perfectly read and written to by non UEFI computers.

On my laptop I've installed an SSD drive. I installed the normal version of Windows even though the laptop has UEFI capability.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 19, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    If you had a motherboard or SSD failure you'd have to replace the broken hardware. You don't have to download anything - you get your new hardware and restore your backup.

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I was just pointing out that if you did have a motherboard failure that you would have to re-install the OS and having the software ready to install would be nice and make the process faster.

BunnyJ, Mar 19, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    What makes you think that? You might have to re-authenticate your Windows activation (by phone, I did it today) but you certainly don't have to re-install.

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

I've both read that somewhere and I've had to do that when one of mine died years ago.. but it might not be the same today.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-cpu-swap.html

BunnyJ, Mar 19, 2015
  14. groze Win User
    I guess that a yes according to beta news. Just like here, people in the comments disagree. Dual booting could be a problem, I think WHS dual boots as well.

A close look at the Windows 10 system requirements for smartphones, tablets and PCs

One thing I am confused on in the comments, Is it really true it won't even allow a cd/dvd/usb drive with another operating system to boot up? If so that is actually scary. The reason it is scary, it because sometimes you to need to use a disks that works outside of windows, to fix issues. I see trouble with mini-wizard partition boot cd.

groze, Mar 19, 2015
  15. adamf Win User
    No. If you read the article MS made it a condition that Secure Boot could be turned off years ago.

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths - Similar Threads - Upgrading Here are

2. upgrade path is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade path is not supported: this is the message i get when upgrading upgrade path is not supported close setup and re launce from the root of the media or go back and pick a differencvt installation choice what does that mean my machine is running win 11 but it says that i cant run windows how to fix i...
  3. upgrade path is not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade path is not supported: this is the message i get when upgrading upgrade path is not supported close setup and re launce from the root of the media or go back and pick a differencvt installation choice what does that mean my machine is running win 11 but it says that i cant run windows how to fix i...
  4. This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 News
    This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error: [ATTACH]When you try to upgrade to Windows 11 or to the latest version/build of Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.1/10, you may receive the error message This upgrade path is not supported preventing you from proceeding and completing the upgrade operation on your device. This post...
  5. upgrade 10 pro path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  6. upgrade 10 pro path

upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  7. Upgrade path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  8. Upgrade path

Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  9. Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path: Hello, after a long research, i didn´t found answers regarding two questions. 1. How is the Upgrade-Path for Windows 10 1809 Enterprise? Is the transformation from 1809 directly to 20H2 technical supported. I can´t find any technical whitepaper for this path. 2. The...
  10. Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10: Microsoft is building support for the Linux Bash utilities into Windows 10 with a little help from Canonical. Here's what's happening under the covers to enable this. The rumors before the start of Microsoft's Build 2016 developer conference were true: Microsoft is going...