Windows 10: Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I don't think that requirement #6 is correct. How would users with Windows 7 computers be able to upgrade if they don't have a UEFI computer. I know my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Winuser Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

I don't think that requirement #6 is correct. How would users with Windows 7 computers be able to upgrade if they don't have a UEFI computer. I know my Windows 7 computers don't Have UEFI or secure boot.

Winuser, Mar 19, 2015
  2. adamf Win User

Agree - must be a typo (surely) and only be for new devices. Interestingly this directory turned up after a clean install though (and I have a BIOS install not EFI)

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    I noticed that directory on my computer too. I don't remember seeing it on previous builds.

Winuser, Mar 19, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

Dayam! That sure does tear it for us honest people out here! Makes me want to go test Ubuntu!

Wynona, Mar 19, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    Only if the OS is keyed to blow up the whole system if it detects another pirated copy of anything!

KABLOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Wynona, Mar 19, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    That would definitely cutback on Windows piracy.

Winuser, Mar 19, 2015
  7. gzt7d8 Win User
    Ditto

gzt7d8, Mar 19, 2015
  8. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

I read "the devices must support (at least) UEFI 2.3.1 and have secure boot enabled" to only refer to PC's with UEFI. IF your PC is UEFI it must be V 2.3.1 or better for it to work with Windows 10. If they were going to lock you into having to have a UEFI BIOS why release preview builds that work with legacy BIOS. And like you say, that would exclude a whole bunch of Windows 7 PC's from the upgrade. As usual though the wording leaves a lot to be desired and open to interpretation.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    Here is how they will get around that

Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows

groze, Mar 19, 2015
  10. Here is a question for those of us who use secure boot and the UEFI system. I have 3 motherboards with UEFI on them but are currently using legacy bios. 2 x Asus Sabertooth 990FX and a Asus M5A97R2.0 motherboards. The Sabertooths also dual boot with Windows 8.1. Is there a way to (for giggles) convert from legacy bios over to UEFI? Or is it a wipe reinstall etc. If I upgrade to 10 on these machine it maybe something to consider. What would be the benefits and issues?

Indianatone, Mar 20, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Here is some info I found

Converting Windows BIOS installation to UEFI - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

I thought of one as well. Mini-Partition wizard might allow you to do this as well without losing data. I think you have to make small fat 32 primary partition. I am not sure this idea of mine would work though.

groze, Mar 20, 2015
  12. There was an article I read very recently claiming that even though MS said they would upgrade "unsupported" (i.e., "pirated") machines to Win10, those machines would still remain "unsupported".

Why would they do that?

Anyone's guess ... but my guess is that is because those "unsupported" machines (especially the older Win7 machines) have been happily running for years with their "activation hacks" remaining intact and (most likely) getting Windows updates all the time. When MS upgrades these machines to Win10, don't be surprised if these old "activation hacks" don't work anymore and after an initial "trial period" (my guess would be no more than 30 days), these machines suddenly ALL lock up and don't work anymore -- until the owners cough up money to pay "unlock" fees. This would be a great way to get all of those "pirated" Win7 machines out of circulation.

Mark Phelps, Mar 20, 2015
  13. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

I have a BIOS without Secure Boot. How am I going to get it to a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot? I believe my computer does have a BIOS update. Shall I update the BIOS or wait on more information from Windows 10?

Jesse Williams, Mar 20, 2015
  14. Winuser Win User
    I wouldn't mess with the bios unless you have to. You could brick your computer if the update fails.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  15. rvbfan Win User
    Bad Bios flash = dead motherboard = bricked computer.

rvbfan, Mar 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths - Similar Threads - Upgrading Here are

2. upgrade path is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade path is not supported: this is the message i get when upgrading upgrade path is not supported close setup and re launce from the root of the media or go back and pick a differencvt installation choice what does that mean my machine is running win 11 but it says that i cant run windows how to fix i...
  3. upgrade path is not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade path is not supported: this is the message i get when upgrading upgrade path is not supported close setup and re launce from the root of the media or go back and pick a differencvt installation choice what does that mean my machine is running win 11 but it says that i cant run windows how to fix i...
  4. This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 News
    This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error: [ATTACH]When you try to upgrade to Windows 11 or to the latest version/build of Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.1/10, you may receive the error message This upgrade path is not supported preventing you from proceeding and completing the upgrade operation on your device. This post...
  5. upgrade 10 pro path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  6. upgrade 10 pro path

upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  7. Upgrade path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  8. Upgrade path

Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  9. Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path: Hello, after a long research, i didn´t found answers regarding two questions. 1. How is the Upgrade-Path for Windows 10 1809 Enterprise? Is the transformation from 1809 directly to 20H2 technical supported. I can´t find any technical whitepaper for this path. 2. The...
  10. Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10: Microsoft is building support for the Linux Bash utilities into Windows 10 with a little help from Canonical. Here's what's happening under the covers to enable this. The rumors before the start of Microsoft's Build 2016 developer conference were true: Microsoft is going...