Windows 10: Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase

Discus and support Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought an HP Omen laptop. The laptop came with Windows Home. I also bought a copy of Windows Pro. I tried doing a clean install, but evidently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CharlesBillow, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase

I bought an HP Omen laptop. The laptop came with Windows Home. I also bought a copy of Windows Pro.

I tried doing a clean install, but evidently there were drivers that were part of the store install that were not available in Windows 10 Pro. The result as that my Omen key had/has no driver and therefore doesn't work. I then tried just restoring the store's install (I had imaged this the moment I got the laptop) and of course, the key/ drivers were there and the key worked.

So how do I upgrade to W-10 Pro without losing the driver? If I do an "Upgrade install" will the driver still be there and work? But then, how can I do a clean install? What if the system crashes? Will I need to always install Home first and then upgrade? Isn't there a way to find the driver for that key and "add" it to my Windows 10 Pro install?

:)

CharlesBillow, Jun 14, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase - Similar Threads - Upgrading Pro effect

2. Purchased Windows 11 Pro upgrade but cannot find it to install it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased Windows 11 Pro upgrade but cannot find it to install it.: I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 11 Home. I purchased Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft Store and it downloaded ok. Now I don't know how to install it and can't seem to find it anywhere. Normally if you have purchased an app through the store you can...
  3. Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store, but Windows installed...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store, but Windows installed...: Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store, but I believe Windows installed a deactivated enterprise. The installation failed during installation process and I received the following errors 0x80072EE7 and 0x80070005. Under Activation, it shows Windows 10...
  4. Purchased Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - It will not install from Windows Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Purchased Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - It will not install from Windows Store: I just spent over $100 to upgrade from Home to Pro. When I try to run the upgrade it says, "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade". This happens both in my user account is admin and the built in Administrator account. When I try inputting the license key...
  5. Windows Pro upgrade & Windows Driver Installation

Windows Pro upgrade & Windows Driver Installation: Hello, I was wondering If the windows 10 PRO upgrade from windows app store is Legit and Legal, since it's 100 euros less than the website version of it, What's the catch? Will I be able to activate this license on another pc when I change my device?...
  6. After purchase Windows 10 pro upgrade....

After purchase Windows 10 pro upgrade....: Hi I purchase a couple days ago a licence to upgrade Windows home to Windows 10 pro and I change my current PC, delete the device from the list of devices and still can't get my windows go. I keeping pop up that I need to buy it again. Why????...
  7. Purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro but is not activating

Purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro but is not activating: Hello, I upgraded a new computer to Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft website, but it's not activating. The edition shows "Windows 10 Enterprise" and Activation "Windows is not activated" with error message below "Windows reported that no product key was found on your...
  8. Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade on laptop, it installed WIndows 10 Enterprise

Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade on laptop, it installed WIndows 10 Enterprise: Recently I had purchased a Windows 10 Pro upgrade for my laptop, but after it did the upgrade in place, it was no longer activated and showing as a Windows 10 Enterprise. This is with the current 1903 (OS Build 18362.116). Is there any reason for this?...
  9. Purchased and Installed Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - but, is now showing Enterprise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Purchased and Installed Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - but, is now showing Enterprise: I have a new laptop that came with Windows 10 Home installed. I purchased the $99 Windows Pro Upgrade and installed it. It is now showing the version is Windows 10 Enterprise. I checked my receipt and it's Windows 10 Pro (not Enterprise). Now, Windows is saying that I...
  10. Windows 10 Pro upgrade purchase, key?

Windows 10 Pro upgrade purchase, key?: How do I receive the product key for my purchase of Windows 10 Pro upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-upgrade-purchase-key/6191ba71-d8c0-42ef-931f-a3ecc790c437"