Windows 10: "Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro

Discus and support "Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am looking at a co-worker's hand-me-down company laptop to see if I could add encryption which is now required for our business. (The boss got the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hershey4, Jul 22, 2021.

1. hershey4 Win User

"Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro

I am looking at a co-worker's hand-me-down company laptop to see if I could add encryption which is now required for our business. (The boss got the new laptop, the admin gets his old one!). First thing I see is that display has a permanent watermark "Need Windows Activation". Oh my! A little digging and I see that's not as bad as first thought. Some limitations, but it functions and updates just fine. Next thing I see is that it's Windows Home. Obviously, I need Windows Pro to setup Bitlocker. (let's ignore for the moment that it is potentially do-able in Windows Home. Not a good path under the circumstances!) So if the company purchases Windows Pro, I was looking at the ability to "upgrade" the O/S from Home to Pro. But the upgrade path inside Windows (as shown in the upgrade tutorial) is not available on this laptop due to "needs activation" getting in the way. So what is the path to purchase and install Windows Pro on this laptop? I suppose we have to lose everything on it? That may not be an issue. It's virtually "new" to her. I spent some time getting it prepped for her, but no biggie. If it were up to me, its a no-brainer to just get a brand new laptop, but they seem to be re$i$tant! p.s. this might turn out to be moot point. I am investigating if the laptop has TPM or not. It definitely is not enabled, but it might not even exist in BIOS. Dell claims it started shipping TPM 1.2 in 2015. This laptop was shipped 2014. According to dell drivers/downloads page with service tag, there is not an upgrade driver for TPM 2.0. That probably means no TPM available but I want to look in BIOS and see for myself. p.p.s. WIndows Version is V2004 (Build 19041.1110)

:)

hershey4, Jul 22, 2021
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 22, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 22, 2021
  4. "Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro

Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 22, 2021
Thema:

"Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro

1. "Upgrading" unlicensed (!) Windows Home to Windows Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrading unlicensed Home

2. upgrade windows home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade windows home to pro: I have bought windows pro from store. but didn't got any page to upgrade to 11 pro. Just got a mail for purchase confirmation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-home-to-pro/fd37c4d3-9398-44b9-ba92-4bc885781307
  3. upgrade windows home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade windows home to pro: I have bought windows pro from store. but didn't got any page to upgrade to 11 pro. Just got a mail for purchase confirmation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-home-to-pro/fd37c4d3-9398-44b9-ba92-4bc885781307
  4. Windows Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Home to Pro Upgrade: I have a computer that came with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, can I upgrade it to Pro using an OEM/OEI license I have a sealed one lying around? Is that legal, or would I need a GGK license?...
  5. Windows Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Home to Pro Upgrade: I have a computer that came with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, can I upgrade it to Pro using an OEM/OEI license I have a sealed one lying around? Is that legal, or would I need a GGK license?...
  6. Windows Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Upgrade Windows Home to Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Windows Home to Windows Pro: hai my system windows 10 home i want upgrade to pro how to get pro key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-home-to-windows-pro/6573dc9d-dcc3-4fef-970e-6973a02ddc32
  8. Switch from unlicensed Windows 10 Home to Licensed Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switch from unlicensed Windows 10 Home to Licensed Windows 10 Pro: I installed Windows 10 Home without a license to get my machine going, but have a Full windows 10 Pro product key to use not an upgrade and want to switch to that without having to reinstall Windows. I know you can go Home -> Pro without a reinstall, but can't figure this...
  9. Remove unlicensed Windows 10 pro and install licensed windows 10 home

Remove unlicensed Windows 10 pro and install licensed windows 10 home: I recently had my computer rebuilt by a friend of a friend. For some reason he has installed an unlicensed version of Windows 10 pro. I had wanted to install the version of Windows 10 Home I had on my old computer since all of its components have been stripped out and it is...
  10. How to change windows 10 pro (unlicensed) to windows 10 home from Microsoft

How to change windows 10 pro (unlicensed) to windows 10 home from Microsoft: I buy new notebook with unlicensed windows 10 pro from shop And now I buy windows 10 home How to active a last version Thank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-windows-10-pro-unlicensed-to-windows/a432d3f5-fb9b-4678-9ddd-933261fc940b"