Windows 10: Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Discus and support Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brucex64, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Brucex64 Win User

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7.

Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what happens when I do that, and someday will need to get a new hard drive and a clean install - how would I be able to clean install with an upgrade copy of windows 10?

:)

Brucex64, Dec 24, 2019
  2. FAUguy Win User

Clean install with Win 10 Upgrade

Wow, talk about a hassle just to have a dual boot clean install of Win 7/8 along with Win 10.

Using the steps you mentioned, I'd have to do the following:

1) Get my old HD that I have and connect it to the PC.

2) Clone my current HDD to the old drive to back up everything, then disconnect the back up.

3) Do the upgrade to Windows 10 within Win 7.

4) At some point make the ISO DVD.

5) Reconnect the backup drive and clone from it back to my work HDD. That way everything is restored the why it was.

6) Now at this point I *should* be able to do a clean install dual boot of Win 10.

Is MS going to pay me for all the time with this take???

As a beta tester since Win 95, I find this process insane. MS use to send a complementary install disc to all the testers, and later with Win 7 you could just download the ISO and make a disc, but they were all full versions that allowed you to do a clean
    install from the beginning...no upgrade required.

FAUguy, Dec 24, 2019
  3. kajson Win User
    Win 10 clean install question

Hello everyone,

my brother in law has bought a new computer yesterday still with win 8.1 on it, which he'll be upgrading to windows 10. I'm guessing non pro edition. So far I've determined that if you want to do a clean install after the upgrade you don't use an updated productkey, rather microsoft registers somehow your hardware id and auto activates.

Now here's my worry, the computer isn't coming with an ssd, and I'm building that in tommorow, and I want to do the clean install on the ssd understandably.
    My question is, will this alter the hardware ID in such a way that Win 10 won't activate anymore. I know there's a 30 day grace period to fix things, but I'd rather get everything right straight away.
    I'm also wondering if I can just format the former system drive after win 10 has been activated on the SSD or if this will screw up some activation logging file or whatever other important stuff they've somehow left on the older installation.

If it doesnt activate it would mean I'd have to get into contact with microsofts help desk, which I reckon will be extremely hard to reach anyways, and my experience with them hasn't been great sofar.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter. I'm sure more people are debating a form of this conundrum.

kajson, Dec 24, 2019
  4. FAUguy Win User

Win 10 Upgrade as a Clean Install?

I registered today for the Win 10 Upgrade, but when the time comes to install it, I don't want to have to install it over-top of Win 7, but have it on its own partition as a Clean Install.
    I currently have my HDD divided into separate partitions: Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7 Ultimate, and Win 10 Build 10130 Preview.
    Even though I use Win 7 90% of the time, I have it setup like this because I have certain programs and phone programming drivers that will only run properly with XP, Vista, or Win 7.
    Hopefully with the free upgrade, we can do a clean install on another partition without having to buy the OEM Disc.

FAUguy, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install - Similar Threads - Upgrading Versus Clean

2. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  3. Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home

Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home: Good afternoon, I gave my Sister a Win 7 HP SP1 [ Genuine ] Laptop a few years ago which she now doesn't use, and knowing my Sister, there will be a LOT of junk on there. I am getting it back at some stage over the next couple of weeks and I would ideally like to just Clean...
  4. Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC

Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC: I have intel i5 6th generation PC that has Windows 7 Professional 32bit. If I do windows 10 clean install Can I get windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-win-10-on-win-7-running-pc/29e86df3-77a2-4af8-9b7a-7b9fcadbe3c8
  5. Win 10 versus Win 7

Win 10 versus Win 7: I bought a Dell PC 5 months ago installed with Win 10 which I am not at all happy with. I asked the tech at PC World if I could have Win 7 installed instead, His reply "No". My old HP had Win 7 and was great. Is this possible? Jimbo...
  6. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  7. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  8. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?: Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates",...
  9. Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10

Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10: I recently did a clean install of WIN 7 Pro 64 bit. Prior to this I was getting the opportunity to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro but did not do so on the relevant desktop. I have installed all the hundreds of Windows Updates and rechecked for any more multiple times but I still...
  10. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade: My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would...