Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key?

Discus and support Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have some questions about Windows 10 activation. About a year ago I got a new laptop with 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD with Win10 Home. I removed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Gulger, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Gulger Win User

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key?

Hi, I have some questions about Windows 10 activation.

About a year ago I got a new laptop with 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD with Win10 Home. I removed the SSD and replaced the HDD with a 2TB that I'm using for dual booting. I reinstalled Win10 to an empty 1TB partition from a v1909 ISO I downloaded from Microsoft and the device successfully activated as Win10 Home (product key was probably stored in BIOS). Anyway, I was curious to see, if I can still upgrade my Windows to Pro since I had a genuine Win7 Pro key that I used on another device which is no longer in use. Much to my surprise the activator accepted the Win7 key and upgraded my system to Win10 Pro.

So fast forward today, I was trying to update the system to version 2004 when the update failed multiple times and eventually resulting in a BSoD with Windows kernel heap corruption error or something like that. Since the system was relatively unused, I decided to download a fresh Win10 2004 ISO and reinstall the system. After formatting the NTFS volume, the new version installed fine and also activated with Win10 Home license. But unlike the first time when I entered the Win7 Pro key, the system now refused to accept it.

Luckily before I formatted the old Win10 copy I was actually running some scripts and software to try to extract the Win7 Pro key from registry since I forgot where I put the box. I managed to extract several keys and none of them matched the Win7 Pro key. The first one was identified as Win10 Home and it probably the one from BIOS. There was another unrecognized one that failed to activate my new installation. Finally there was one that identified as Win 10 Pro Retail in a PID identifier. After googling about this I found out that this key is actually a generic key to upgrade Home to Pro and it is posted on several websites and forums. I'm not sure posting here is legit so I'll just censor it partially. The key is: VK7JG-*****-*****-*****-*****

When I entered this key into the activator it began upgrading my system, but then failed, telling me that the system cannot be upgraded and that something has interrupted the troubleshooter. Disappointed, I rebooted the system only to find out that some updates are taking place. After the reboot I checked the activator again and it said that I was now running a full Win 10 Pro version and it is activated with a digital license.

So the questions are:
    - Why did the Windows 7 Pro key still activate the system? I thought the free upgrade period ended 4 years ago.
    - Why did the key work the first time, but not the second time?
    - Why did the activator/troubleshooter run into problems, abort the upgrade and still complete it after reboot?
    - Am I going to run into problems in the future, if I continue using this Pro copy? The previous installation seemed to work fine (no watermark, no trouble).

:)

Gulger, Aug 27, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key?

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key?

1. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 7 key? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Home Pro

2. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade using Windows 7 Pro key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade using Windows 7 Pro key not working: My plan was to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using a Windows 7 Pro key, I read a lot of articles and videos and they all seemed to make the upgrade possible, but for me I have a valid Windows 10 Home key and i'm trying to use a Windows 7 Pro key to upgrade it to Windows 10...
  3. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade using Windows 7 Pro key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade using Windows 7 Pro key not working: My plan was to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using a Windows 7 Pro key, I read a lot of articles and videos and they all seemed to make the upgrade possible, but for me I have a valid Windows 10 Home key and i'm trying to use a Windows 7 Pro key to upgrade it to Windows 10...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade using Windows 7 Pro key not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to PRO with an old Windows 7 Ultimate key

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to PRO with an old Windows 7 Ultimate key: Greetings I hope someone will be able to help me understand what I have to do to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to PRO. Here is some background: I have an old laptop with Windows 10 PRO on it. It came with Windows 10 Home OEM but I've used my old Windows 7 Ultimate retail key to...
  6. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to PRO with Windows 7 Ultimate key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home to PRO with Windows 7 Ultimate key: Hello Few years ago I've successfully upgraded my laptop with Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 PRO with my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail key. This laptop is now old and I'm not using it. I've found out that I can transfer my Windows 10 PRO license to my new laptop or PC through my...
  7. Upgraded from windows 7 Home, to Windows 10 Pro

Upgraded from windows 7 Home, to Windows 10 Pro: Hey guys I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit Pro V. 1909. I logged onto my computer with windows 7 still activated, inserted the windows 10 disk as it prompted me, for upgrading. I did that, everything went smooth. Although when i went...
  8. upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 10 pro

upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 10 pro: i have brought windows 10 pro and downloaded it to a memory stick but my windows 7 is asking for a anytime upgrade key to upggrade how or where do i get one ....
  9. Upgrading from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrading from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Please can someone advise if it is possible to upgrade directly from Windows 7 (working laptop) to Windows 10 Pro using a Microsoft Windows 10 Flashdrive? (full Windows 10 Pro flashdrive purchased from Microsoft) I appreciate I can install a clean Windows 10 Pro...
  10. Windows 10 Home Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using old windows 7 pro oem key

Windows 10 Home Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using old windows 7 pro oem key: Hi all, I have a windows 10 home device but I would like to be able to use a pro version of Windows 10, I have a copy of windows 7 pro and I was wondering if the key can be used in the store to upgrade the version of windows to win10 pro. I have entered the key and it said...