Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid

Discus and support Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I currently have a small media server like setup using some old computer parts of mine, with Windows 10 Prof OEM setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Wowdude, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Wowdude Win User

Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid

I currently have a small media server like setup using some old computer parts of mine, with Windows 10 Prof OEM setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb storage HDDs, which are partitioned to allow for a 500Gb software raid 1 per HDD (for redundancy) and the rest setup as software raid 0 for media speed.

I want to change out the barebones (mobo, CPU & RAM) out of this machine and upgrade to some hardware I have received from a friend, which is preferential.

I have also read online that Windows 10 licence can be bound to a windows account. So after all that background, this is my question:

If I use this method to change out my barebones components for the upgraded hardware (if it works), would it keep my software raid, as i'm not altering the Windows 10 installation on the SSD?

Alternatively, if I bought another OEM key for the changed out hardware, would I be able to swap the parts over, activate Windows and still keep my raid setup/data?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

:)

Wowdude, Nov 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 6, 2019
  3. makwy2 Win User
    RAID 5 disappearing on upgrade to Win10

I will lay out my problem in simple terms than some detail and then I'd be happy to add/respond as needed.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my PC.

I have a RAID 5 array made up of 3 x 1.5tTB HDDs attached to the motherboard directly and set-up through the motherboard utility.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, this drive (R), disappeared completely and in the 'Disk Management' it shows 3 separate 100% empty volumes.

How do I get my RAID drive back?

Steps I've already taken: I have updated general motherboard, SATA, and RAID chipset drivers. I have made sure the AMD RAIDXpert didn't change any settings I had input, and I have restarted more than a few times.

makwy2, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid - Similar Threads - Upgrading Motherboard without

2. upgrade raid 1 windows 10 to windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade raid 1 windows 10 to windows 11: I have Windows Pro 10 installed on Raid 1. Can I upgrade to Windows 11? What happens then to the raid array? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-raid-1-windows-10-to-windows-11/acb04082-5647-43bd-a81c-d36e99b46197
  3. upgrade raid 1 windows 10 to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade raid 1 windows 10 to windows 11: I have Windows Pro 10 installed on Raid 1. Can I upgrade to Windows 11? What happens then to the raid array? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-raid-1-windows-10-to-windows-11/acb04082-5647-43bd-a81c-d36e99b46197
  4. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 20H2 without affecting LapTop performance

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 20H2 without affecting LapTop performance: Hello! I would like to know what methods, recommendations or advice should be done before updating to version 20H2, taking into account that I'm on the Windows 10 Version 2019 October version. Taking into account that it does not affect the performance of my LaTop, as it...
  5. Striped 0 Windows 10 RAID - will be affected by OS reinstall?

in Windows 10 Support
    Striped 0 Windows 10 RAID - will be affected by OS reinstall?: I setup a Raid 0 stripe volume between 3 seperate drives in WIndows 10 disk management. If I reinstall the OS of Windows 10 that's on a seperate SSD, will it affect the raid 0 since that was initially created in Windows 10? Will the stripe 0 volume still be there after...
  6. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?: I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro v1809 which has been activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. My situation is I'm updating my...
  7. Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10

Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10: Hi there, I have a Dell XPS 13 7390, x64, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 core, bios: 1.4.0, latest version, 16,0 GB. I need to change my setting from RAID to AHCI, but want to avoid a new installation of Windows 10...
  8. How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?

How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?: I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my computer, which runs Windows 10. However, I would prefer to avoid reinstalling the operating system. The OS is installed to an M.2 NVMe drive on an AM3+ socket motherboard, and I will be upgrading to an AM4 socket...
  9. Windows 10 version upgrades + RAID

Windows 10 version upgrades + RAID: How do I stop Windows 10 Creators Upgrade versions from breaking my BIOS level RAID 1 setup? I have 3 computers setup this way. They all have different hardware....
  10. Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID: Hello, I have an SSD in my computer as well as a RAID 5 array that was set up in Windows. I booted from another SSD with Windows on it and somehow screwed up the boot files on the main SSD. I think the best thing to do would be reinstalling Windows on the corrupted bootable...