Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10

Discus and support Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 7 HP desktop that I believe meets all the requirements to be upgraded to Windows 10. How can I be sure that my existing computer meets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimSkidmore, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10

I have a Windows 7 HP desktop that I believe meets all the requirements to be upgraded to Windows 10. How can I be sure that my existing computer meets ALL the requirements including graphics? I went out and bought a copy of Windows 10 Home to do the upgrade. The computer has multiple applications installed.

I need help to understand how to do the upgrade installation and hopefully transfer my installed applications. Is that possible or will I have to reinstall my applications after performing the upgrade? What are the steps in order that I need to do to have a successful upgrade?

:)

TimSkidmore, Jan 15, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 15, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

In what could be a fundamental shift in how Microsoft monetizes its flagship product, the Windows operating system, the company decided to offer its upcoming Windows 10 as a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10). Windows 10 will see the return of the Start Menu, a productive Desktop environment, and cutting-edge new API features such as DirectX 12.

Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10 116a_thm.jpg

Source: The Verge

btarunr, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10

1. Upgrading Windows 7 Desktop to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Upgrading Desktop

2. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  3. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  4. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.: Earlier today I upgraded my Lenovo 2021 laptop to windows 11 from windows 10 and now when I log in and enter the background with the taskbar nothing shows besides the windows 10 style taskbar and an arrow pointing up on it with several apps on it that I can open.The only...
  6. Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.

Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.: Earlier today I upgraded my Lenovo 2021 laptop to windows 11 from windows 10 and now when I log in and enter the background with the taskbar nothing shows besides the windows 10 style taskbar and an arrow pointing up on it with several apps on it that I can open.The only...
  7. All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade: I recently upgraded my PC hardware and OS and have a clean install of Windows 11 Home. All of these games worked without any issues on my older build with Win 10. Ever since the upgrade I have been having a constant problem with all my games crashing even if they are not...
  8. All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade

All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade: I recently upgraded my PC hardware and OS and have a clean install of Windows 11 Home. All of these games worked without any issues on my older build with Win 10. Ever since the upgrade I have been having a constant problem with all my games crashing even if they are not...
  9. If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...: Hi all,I am wondering about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 now if I upgrade my current operating system will I lose all my desktop icons meaning would I have to start again from scratch? I am not formatting the drive or anything so I know nothing will be lost I'm just...
  10. If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...

If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...: Hi all,I am wondering about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 now if I upgrade my current operating system will I lose all my desktop icons meaning would I have to start again from scratch? I am not formatting the drive or anything so I know nothing will be lost I'm just...