Windows 10: Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

Discus and support Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey all.I'm working on a well overdue upgrade to Windows 10 on a computer I built. At first I was planning on dual-booting, but that seems to be more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AsaBM, Jan 14, 2022.

1. AsaBM Win User

Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

Hey all.I'm working on a well overdue upgrade to Windows 10 on a computer I built. At first I was planning on dual-booting, but that seems to be more trouble than it's worth, so I think I should just upgrade the old install. Regarding this, I have two questions.1Old install is on a HDD. I want the new one to be on an SSD I just bought. How can I make this transfer during the upgrade process? Ordinarily I'd screw around with it myself and try to figure it out, but with something as important as installing an OS I think I'd better know what I'm doing from the start.2I, uh, already installed Wi

:)

AsaBM, Jan 14, 2022
  2. little cat, Jan 14, 2022
  3. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 14, 2022
  4. Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jan 14, 2022
Thema:

Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

1. Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive - Similar Threads - Upgrading onto different

2. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?: I haven't played with the options on upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm about to install an M2 drive into a system with only a regular HD that is also asking if I want to upgrade to Win11.I recall one of the times I upgraded a system to win11 being asked if I wanted to do a...
  3. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?: I haven't played with the options on upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm about to install an M2 drive into a system with only a regular HD that is also asking if I want to upgrade to Win11.I recall one of the times I upgraded a system to win11 being asked if I wanted to do a...
  4. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive: Hey all.I'm working on a well overdue upgrade to Windows 10 on a computer I built. At first I was planning on dual-booting, but that seems to be more trouble than it's worth, so I think I should just upgrade the old install. Regarding this, I have two questions.1Old install...
  6. Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive

Upgrading Windows, but onto a different drive: Hey all.I'm working on a well overdue upgrade to Windows 10 on a computer I built. At first I was planning on dual-booting, but that seems to be more trouble than it's worth, so I think I should just upgrade the old install. Regarding this, I have two questions.1Old install...
  7. Reinstalling onto a different drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling onto a different drive: Soon i plan to get a new m.2 ssd, as my current hdd is slow, and starting to fail. I plan to reinstall windows onto my new ssd, but my question is, will be able to transfer my old data from my hdd to the new drive during reinstallation, since i know that is something you can...
  8. Reinstalling onto a different drive

Reinstalling onto a different drive: Soon i plan to get a new m.2 ssd, as my current hdd is slow, and starting to fail. I plan to reinstall windows onto my new ssd, but my question is, will be able to transfer my old data from my hdd to the new drive during reinstallation, since i know that is something you can...
  9. Reinstalling onto a different drive

10. Upgrade onto a new drive?

Upgrade onto a new drive?: I have windows 7 on a 750GB drive at the moment, but I want to install 10 on my SSD which only has 30 GB of space. Of course, I don't want to have to re-install all my data. If I go the upgrade route, will I have an option to choose which drive I install the windows files to?...