Windows 10: Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place...

Discus and support Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Meaning how do we save all things to external ssd / thumb drive instead of the laptop itself? submitted by /u/oko-tot [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/oko-tot, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place...

Meaning how do we save all things to external ssd / thumb drive instead of the laptop itself?

submitted by /u/oko-tot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/oko-tot, Apr 10, 2021
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

Despite an almost empty external storage installed in D drive, it shows none, and hence I can't install important updates (see the image)

Hi
    SusovanPal,

Based on the information you've provided, it seems that the issue is about the external hard drive not being recognized. It is possible that it will only recognize thumb drives than using external hard drive. We'd like to know more about your issue. Answer
    the following questions below:

• Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect your external storage device? (Clicked the
      Refresh button)
    • Have you tried using a different USB thumb drive?

Since you're using an external hard drive, we suggest you follow the steps about moving files to another hard drive outlined in this support article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your response.

Carlo Fer, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Thumb drives

Step 1: connect the USB thumb drive to an available USB port.

Step 2: Click Start > File Explorer > This PC

Step 3: open the thumb drive.

If its not showing up in File Explorer:

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

Other troubleshooting options you can try:

This issue can be caused if any of the following situations exist:

The currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt

Your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB external hard drive and Windows

Windows may be missing other important updates hardware or software issues

Your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt

Your external drive may be entering selective suspend

Your PC motherboard may need updated drivers

Resolution

To resolve this issue, follow the steps in the methods below in the order listed. If the first method does not fix the problem, proceed to the next.

Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive

This method resolves issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

Select Start, type Device Manager in the Search box

Select Device Manager from the returned list.

Select Disk Drives from the list of hardware

Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the issue, and select Uninstall.

After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.

Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load

Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer

Note Connecting your USB external hard drive into a non-powered USB hub can cause a lack of enough power to operate the external drive. Instead, plug it directly into your computer.

If your problem still persists, proceed to Method 3.

Method 2: Install the latest Windows Updates

This method will install the latest device drivers for your USB external hard drive.

Select the Start button, type Windows Update in the Search box, and then select Windows Update in the results pane.

Select Check for Updates. After the scan is complete, select Review optional updates.

Select the check box next to the updates, then select Install updates.

If prompted, review the license agreement, then select I Accept.

Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates.

If prompted, reboot your computer.

If your problem still exits, proceed to Method 4.

Method 3: Reinstall USB controllers.

This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

Select Start, then type device manager in the Search box, and then select Device Manager.

Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Press and hold (or right-click) a device and select Uninstall. Repeat for each device.

Once complete, restart your computer. Your USB controllers will automatically install.

If your problem still exists, proceed to Method 5.

Method 4: Disable USB selective suspend setting.

This method prevents your USB external drive from powering down.

Select the Start button, type power plan in the Search box, and then select Choose a power plan.

Next to your currently selected plan, select Change Plan Settings.

Select Change advanced power settings.

Select the box to expand USB Settings > USB selective suspend settings.

Select Plugged in, select the drop down menu, and then select disabled.

If you're using a laptop, select Battery, select the drop down menu, and then select disabled.

Select Apply > OK.

Method 5: Install your motherboard's latest chipset drivers.

This method updates your motherboard's chipset drivers, so your computer will recognize your USB external hard drive.

Review your computer's documentation which should contain the name of the motherboard manufacturer.

Visit your computer manufacturer's support website. For a list of computer manufacturers' support sites, see Computer manufacturers' contact information.

Navigate their website to find the appropriate drivers for your motherboard. For assistance, contact your computer manufacturer.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place...

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place...

1. Upon plugging in external ssd / thumb drive, how to choose it as the main storage place... - Similar Threads - Upon plugging external

2. How to set External HDD as main drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set External HDD as main drive: Hi, I have an ASUS VivoStick which has close to zero free storage space as it's all taken up by the OS, I also have an external HDD which is where I keep all of my files and programs etc. The problem I am having is that every time any program needs to update it is trying to...
  3. How to Define an External Drive as a SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Define an External Drive as a SSD?: I'm just checking out a new Crucial MX500 SSD drive which will eventually be installed in my desktop PC. I've mounted it in an external SATA caddy for formatting and basic checks which are OK. However, Windows 10 seems sees it is a hard drive since defrag rather than trim is...
  4. USB Mass Storage Issues with Thumb Drives

USB Mass Storage Issues with Thumb Drives: I'm having issues with a USB drive. I've tried several different thumb drives in every USB port on my desktop. When inserting the drive, Windows makes the noise recognizing it's been inserted. The drive does not show up in explorer. I went to Device Manager and it/they...
  5. External SSD Drives

External SSD Drives: W-10 No Longer Recognizes External SSD Drives on Dell XPS. HP Pavilion does with no problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled USB Drivers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-drives/b13f61d3-e987-4f29-be39-bfc08a38b7e6
  6. SSD external drive

SSD external drive: My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-external-drive/3df1d677-63b9-4b76-9ac3-0d0f2f7b15fc
  7. STORAGE PLACES

STORAGE PLACES: I tried to add a WD 1TB external hard drive but keep getting an error message "Can't prepare drives - close all applications that are accessing the drive." What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-places/5fbd2eac-c27b-43ce-bd19-89b25d1fbffb"
  8. USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion

USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion: UP until now, no problem inserting and removing the drive. Then, plugged it in and it did not mount. Other drives failed to mount in same port, but all worked fine in a different port. After a reboot it worked again. Two questions: What would cause that? Is there...
  9. Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.

Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.: How to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-32-gb-thumb-drive-to-increase-storage/58221030-9a61-4639-8b37-9de5b7cc22f3"
  10. Moving Outlook Data Files From Main SSD Drive to Storage Secondary

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving Outlook Data Files From Main SSD Drive to Storage Secondary: HI All Is there a way to Move Outlook Data files from C:\ Drive to Storage drive, so far keeps going to D drive, tried a fix on a site I found, but no luck, any other ideas or get it to move lol. Version i'm using is office 365 109671