Windows 10: Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device

Discus and support Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have already attempted multiple fixes and keep finding new errors that send me into rabbit holes. - I have made a USB bootable drive for Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PatrickShugerts, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device

I have already attempted multiple fixes and keep finding new errors that send me into rabbit holes.

- I have made a USB bootable drive for Windows 10 and run the automatic repair on the drive it returns an error code 00xc0000098

- I then attempted to restore the MBR with bootrec cmd manually, and it gives me an access denied message when running the /fixboot cmd.

- To get the access denied error getting out of my way, I ran the diskpart in the cmd prompt. I can see my hard disk via the disk part feature. However, there appears to be no partitions on the drive.

-Attempting to create a new partition gives me an uninitialized hard disk error.

My question is: Is the HDD dead or just that my data is now unrecoverable? I am completely lost on what to do next other than reinstall windows.

:)

PatrickShugerts, Jan 6, 2020

2. Unable to boot the device with error: 0xc0000428 on Windows 10

Hi Vuk,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in booting the device with 0xc0000428 error. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message along with the error code of this issue?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you make any hardware/ software changes to your device prior to this issue?

I would like to inform that when you attempt to start a Windows 10 system, the system fails to start normally and you receive an error:
    0xc0000428 for the signed driver dlkmdldr.sys. Do confirm us if you are facing the same issue.

Try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard, hard reboot the device and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to boot the device by choosing the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode from the advanced boot menu, you would be able to boot the system to the desktop.

• Try to boot the device to Windows Recovery Environment
    • Click on Advanced options, Startup Settings
      and Restart.
    • Once the computer restarts, press F7 key to start he device on
      Disable Driver Signature Enforcement mode.
    • Check if the computer boot successfully.

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device after restarting the computer.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above an update us the status of this issue to assist you further accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 7, 2020
  3. martel101 Win User
    Unable to boot; 0xc000000f error on start

@axe0 - No, there was no file mentioned, although the error code remained the same. After I used the bootsec.exe /nt60 command the File: boot/bcd line appeared, which can be seen in the photos.
    @zbook - I'll try what you have suggested and post the results. As for the assigned drive letters, no I don't know why they already have assigned letters. As far as I can recall, those were in fact the drive letters they were assigned when the computer was working, but I didn't reassign them during the troubleshooting process. The steps I had already taken are listed in the original post. I had tried to rebuild the BCD previously, but with the same results (i.e. didn't have access, system not found etc.)

martel101, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device

Unable to boot the device running Windows 10

Hi Don,

As you are unable to boot the device running Windows 10, provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue.

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What exactly do you mean by: "the laptop will not open"?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue. Please be informed that there is a power supply to your device.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try automatic repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Automatic Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Automatic Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Automatic Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device

1. Upon starting my PC, I get an error message. Unable to Find Boot Device - Similar Threads - Upon starting error

2. I am getting the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" whenever I start up my PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am getting the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" whenever I start up my PC...: Changing the Boot order does not affect anything, and I can not see a boot option for Windows, only 2 others and a third if I enable legacy boot but that one does not work either. On top of that I apparently deactivated my usb ports and cannot use my keyboard to affect...
  3. I am getting the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" whenever I start up my PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am getting the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" whenever I start up my PC...: Changing the Boot order does not affect anything, and I can not see a boot option for Windows, only 2 others and a third if I enable legacy boot but that one does not work either. On top of that I apparently deactivated my usb ports and cannot use my keyboard to affect...
  4. upon booting get message No operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upon booting get message No operating system: after an upgrade desktop boots but stops with message NO operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upon-booting-get-message-no-operating-system/af2afb19-7646-464a-808b-c57608b1b70d
  5. upon booting get message No operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upon booting get message No operating system: after an upgrade desktop boots but stops with message NO operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upon-booting-get-message-no-operating-system/af2afb19-7646-464a-808b-c57608b1b70d
  6. upon booting get message No operating system

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Message upon booting up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Message upon booting up: Upon booting up my PC, the following appears on the screen: Checking Media Presence Media Present Start PXE over IDv4. Press ESC to about PXE boot I usually just let it do its thing. Seems to boot up as usual and everything is working just fine. Just wondering why...
  8. i get an error message upon start up Windows cannot find...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i get an error message upon start up Windows cannot find...: need some guidance on how to fix this. Thanks Also get error 'C:\Program\WindowsApps\DB6EA5DB.Power2GoforDell_11.0.3920.0_x86_m...CLMSvc_P2G11.exe'...
  9. Getting an Error Message upon start up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Getting an Error Message upon start up: When I start up the computer I get this message. I don't know how it started. How do you fix it or get rid of it? error message C:/ProgramFiles/WindowsApps/Mircrosoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.27629.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe/VCRUNTIME140.dll...
  10. Windows boot issue error message: “Can’t find device to boot from”

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows boot issue error message: “Can’t find device to boot from”: This morning, I was on my computer, I turned it off. Then I returned from school and when I started it up, suddenly I heard this beaping noise, then it went to the windows loading screen, it fully loaded then the screen said "Can't find device to boot from", out of shock I...