Windows 10: Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager

Discus and support Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Issues: - Upon startup, none of the icons appear. All that shows is my desktop background. - All that shows up on the task bar is the Start button, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by soceir, Sep 26, 2019.

1. soceir Win User

Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager

Issues:
    - Upon startup, none of the icons appear. All that shows is my desktop background.
    - All that shows up on the task bar is the Start button, the search bar, and the Cortana icon.
    - When I try to access anything on the task bar, the mouse cursor changes to a blue spinning circle
    - When I double click on the task bar, the screen flickers for a moment then returns to previous state

Things I have tried:
    - Can't access the task manager, ctrl+alt+del does not work.
    - Windows + X does nothing, Windows + R does nothing
    - Can't type in the search bar
    - Unplugged and restarted computer multiple times
    - Was able to boot in safe mode, was able to pull up task manager but if I clicked on anything it would say not responding. Nothing showed using more than 2-3% CPU
    - I got to the command prompt, I typed sfc /scannow and after some time it came back with an error message
    - I tried both DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and came back with an error
    - I do not have any previous restore points
    - There is only one user account

I'd really appreciate any help!
    Thanks!
    Jamie

:)

soceir, Sep 26, 2019
  2. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Sep 26, 2019
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Hey guys I need your help fixing the default access icon on the start menu, as far as google searches suggested default user access and all it only fixes the IE icon, but when I chose fire fox to display it's just a globe when clicked on it still displays IE's properties but doesn't start firefox instead. Help please? *Respect :respect:*Cry :cry:

BTW it was not like this before, I just wanted a clean install for my browser.

Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager prob.jpg

psyko12, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager

Task Manager-Startup

Here are three methods to invoke a task:

1. By placing a program or a shortcut into this folder:

c:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    2. By specifying it in this registry location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    3. By creating a scheduled task that gets triggered at startup or at logon time.

Frederik Long, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager

1. Upon startup icons are gone, can't access start menu or task manager - Similar Threads - Upon startup icons

2. Not showing icons Not showing taskbar icon Task manager not opening start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not showing icons Not showing taskbar icon Task manager not opening start menu not opening: How I solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-icons-not-showing-taskbar-icon-task/7a413e75-c163-46e5-aa97-47532eb56fbc
  3. Not showing icons Not showing taskbar icon Task manager not opening start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not showing icons Not showing taskbar icon Task manager not opening start menu not opening: How I solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-icons-not-showing-taskbar-icon-task/7a413e75-c163-46e5-aa97-47532eb56fbc
  4. Not showing icons Not showing taskbar icon Task manager not opening start menu not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. "Reg38131515" on my startup menu in the task manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Reg38131515" on my startup menu in the task manager: There is this strange executable that appeared in my task manger recently and i don`t know exaclty what it is. I would appreciate if someone could help me....
  6. Task bar and start menu not working on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task bar and start menu not working on startup: There is this annoying issue where anytime I power on my PC it takes a couple seconds longer than usual to boot up and the taskbar and start menu just wont work. There is a blue icon spinning and when clicking the taskbar my screen flashes and nothing happens. I have to shut...
  7. Missing app on task manager Startup menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing app on task manager Startup menu: Hi, i just happen to notice that some of my app has been dissapear from the startup menu in task manager, this keep them keep turning on everytime i boot my laptop, some app missing such as Epic Games launcher, Steam game launcher and so on, how can i fix this issue? My...
  8. Can't access start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access start menu: I can't access/see the start menu when I turn the computer on, however I can see my files. Consequently I cannot access Microsoft office "word" or any of the other apps on the start menu. Added to this I cannot turn off my computer using the left click on the mouse. The...
  9. Start Menu Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Gone: I want to start using my start menu, but I don't remember how to add icons back. I tried to just drag them but that doesn't work. Also, they just all disappeared randomly. Not sure why. Screenshot 33575
  10. Start menu icons gone for some programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons gone for some programs: yo! All of a sudden the battle.net, chrome and evernote lost it's icons but they still work. how, why? 38027