Windows 10: Upset with Windows 10 - Need to vent

Discus and support Upset with Windows 10 - Need to vent in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, I just want to vent. As someone experienced with computers I have to say it took me 6 days of hard work to make my Windows 10 to startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nkomp18, Sep 21, 2015.

1. nkomp18 Win User

Upset with Windows 10 - Need to vent

Hi there, I just want to vent.

As someone experienced with computers I have to say it took me 6 days of hard work to make my Windows 10 to startup and this is unacceptable.

Even now I have disabled a lot of features to keep it from breaking. The store doesn't work, the metro apps are all broken and I am stuck because all "solutions" are guaranteed to break something else.

I am not here to ask for help because no such thing exists; I have already tried all possible ways and they all result in my laptop not being able to boot.

The problem ultimately is that Windows automatically updates my graphics card driver with one that causes the system to fail and not boot. (Intel HD Generation 1). Alternative drivers do exist that work well but in order to bypass the automatic update you need to do a whole bunch of voodoo such as complete the Intallation of window 10 with internet switched off - and then immediately turn it to "Metered". This will activate windows but all metro apps, the store and few other features will remain permanently broken because activation didn't happen at the right time.

Repairing is not an option cause the "Repair" installs the broken driver so it destroys everything instead of actually repairing. Disabling the "automatic driver update" from the control panel somehow doesn't seem to actually stop Windows from installing the faulty driver so not sure why it's even there for. I'm sure they added it to troll you.

The reason for this vent is that Windows 10 created an impossible OS to reason with. They have taken so much ownership of knowing what is "good for you" and forcing it upon you, that when they get it wrong you are stuck in limbo and you need to hack your way into a working OS.

Microsoft will do nothing to fix this. Intel have made a statement that they do not intend to update their drivers for old generation cards. DELL, the laptop manifacturer claims it's all Intel's fault.

If we had a bit more control over these "updates" this could be easily addressed. But that means we need to be given an option at the first stages of the Installation to disable certain driver updates, not afterwards. It's a simple fix but Microsoft won't do it and as a result Windows 10 is going to remain incompatible for a lot of systems.

Right now I have been using my hacked half-working version of Windows 10 for a week and it's not sustainable.

Not pleased with this at all.

:)

nkomp18, Sep 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 Venting!

One year ago today I bought a super fast laptop/notebook with Windows 10. and have had endless problems. Without going into detail these are MY frustrations. I hate that Microsoft Windows 10.........

Can take info from MY computer, and most cannot be disabled. without effecting performance.

No control over updates, or really anything they wish to install on MY computer.

Almost every time an update is installed it changes something on MY computer I didn't want changed.

Crapware or certain programs on MY computer that cannot be deleted.

Cortana I don't want on MY computer taking up lots and lots of space cannot be deleted.

Search/Indexing up the wazoo, slowing My computer.

Apps and Apps that cannot be deleted or turned off on MY computer.

Files, programs or Apps I don't want on MY computer that I cant even access.

Resetting MY computer is almost a daily event.

We are no longer buying computers, were leasing them from Microsoft! I WANT CONTROL OF THE COMPUTER I PAID FOR MICROSOFT AND STAY THE **** OUT OF MY BUISNESS!

Bill Harrington667, Sep 21, 2015
  3. Problem, need solution Plus, a wee vent :-(

I have an Acer V3-571 laptop, originally w/ Windows 7 Home, which I updated to Windows 10. Acer website says this laptop will support the Win 10 Anniversary Update.

Tried to download Anniversary Update from online, but reverted back to Win 10. Switched to Windows Media Creator for next download attempt, I uninstalled my avast! Internet Security. Again reverted back. Then, used Win Media Creator again (after I also deleted
    Malwarebytes Anti-malware & also Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit & SuperAntiSpyware. After fully downloading Anniv Update (Win 10 AND Updates), reverted back after new Win 10 and 22% of updates. And, then AGAIN after I had disabled Bluetooth drivers, I downloaded
    Anniv Update & again at the 22% mark of the updates to the new Win 10 Anniv download, reverted my machine back to the previous Win 10.

Any suggestions?

Why is it at the 22% mark that the machine restarts (which is the second restart during the Anniv installation) and displays that my machine is being returned to previous version of Windows?

This vent is for Microsoft-- Why in the heck does Windows Media Creator not keep the download somewhere easily accessible on the computer?? It's a royal pain to have to re-download the ENTIRE update EVERY time I go through the troubleshooting process. I
    have a slow connection, so it takes 8 hours to download EACH TIME. Please take mercy on your users & fix this second situation either now or with the next update.

Thanks in advance.

To clarify: After the entire Anniversary Update downloads without problem, the Windows 10 Anniversary part installs without problem. Then, "Updates" begin installing, at the 22% mark of these "Updates" installing, the machine restarts & reverts back to previous
    Windows installation.

WomanofSpirit99, Sep 21, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Sep 21, 2015
  5. nkomp18 Win User
    Yes of course, none of these suggestions work. Not sure what it does, but it certainly doesn't stop the update.

I don't have access to the Local Group Policy Editor because I am using the Home edition. However the other suggestions result in a non-bootable system. That means hours of effort to format and re-install Windows 10, not to mention loss of data.

Anyway not looking for solutions any more, I just wanted to vent and let all this frustration out.

nkomp18, Sep 21, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Have you considered taking it to a shop and let them have a go at it?? Or can you go back to the previous OS??

BunnyJ, Sep 21, 2015
  7. I know you said you aren't looking for solutions anymore, but I had a similar situation that I solved with this program:
    How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10

I use the Intel HD drivers, and Windows 10 wanted me to use generic drivers. This program allows me to tell Windows 10 to stop downloading updates I don't want and need, and to quit overriding my preferences.

Now I can use the drivers I want, without further issue. Hope it works for you as well. Cheers.

Edit for clarity the actual software is located here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...source=twitter

PlatypusKnight, Sep 21, 2015
  8. nkomp18 Win User

Hi Platypus

I did try this many days ago. Setting my internet connection as metered does the job, but the other suggestions didn't work for me.
    I tried uninstalling the driver from the Device manager after windows installation (it gets installed during the installation process if internet isn't off) but it still caused the booting issue. I
    also tried the "Hide update" tool which showed me that it worked but when I set my connection to unmetered, it went ahead and downloaded the driver anyway (!).

Every time an experiment fails, it results in many hours of work to get the laptop running again so there's a limit to how many variations of the same fix I am willing to try. 6 days of experimenting means I tried about 12 different things so far, on average 2 per day and at least now I have a half working system that can reboot.

When I get the energy, I am willing to try a couple of suggestions because I do want to be able to download updates and to have the metro apps and the store working. Maybe soon they will realise their mistake and produce a fix to how updates are handled. At the very least they should stop forcing destructive drivers onto people's laptops.

I guess what I'm hoping for is that venting on these forums might help them notice and do something about it.

nkomp18, Sep 21, 2015
  9. Hi again nkomp18

I think you need to download and install Macrium Reflect Free. It allows you to make an image of your drive in perfect condition, and if anything happens to mess it up, you can restore the image to exactly like it was.

I have even used Macrium to move my setup from one machine to a completely separate machine. This elimates having to do installs, or remember how the machine is set up. I set it up once, and I use it like that forever. The only time this changes is when MS releases a new operating system. And since they're claiming Win 10 is the last windows, I may never need to do another Windows Install on my main rig again.

The restore feature is of course much faster if you have an SSD drive. I did a restore of a 50 GB windows partition to my SSD a couple days ago, and that took 6 mins (on my regular hard drive it takes about 18 mins).

So from broken unbootable PC to PC set up with all my favorite programs, to my desktop organized with Fences in just the way I want it in 6 mins.

You can't beat that with a Louisville slugger.

And that way you can tinker with what the folks at MS think they fixed, without having to stress out over it.

10. nkomp18 Win User
    That is actually a good idea and I did try to create a recovery image and couldn't find a way.

Also, "restoring" to a previous point seems to also work but it's only useful after you've resolved the problem otherwise the only restore point that you can go to is the one during the installation, which brings your computer back to the pre-setup phase and again forces you to install the broken driver again.

So right now I do have a restore point in place that is relatively safe and doesn't take me to the installation step, but an image would be a lot easier to use.

Thanks

nkomp18, Sep 21, 2015
  11. If I were you I would take a Macrium Image of that drive right this second.
    I have found images to be much more robust, and stable than MS's system restore. I don't even use Restore Points anymore, and haven't for about 3 years.

They take up space, and I found them to be unreliable. Macrium images I found to be fail safe so long as the disk they're stored on (external hard drive, USB drive) doesn't fail.

For your own sanity *Wink do a macrium image, and learn how to to the restores. Doing restores requires you do a one time procedure where you make a boot disk, but after that like I said in the previous post, in less than 20 mins you're back to where you were before like nothing bad happened.

Macrium Reflect Free

P.S. I'm also happy to help you with learning the imaging and restoring procedure.

12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have another suggestion. How about setting the following command from an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

This enables the F8 key at boot time to be able to boot into safe mode and such. Maybe you could boot to standard vga driver when anything goes bad.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 21, 2015
  13. Dch48 Win User

Uninstall the driver update and then do a manual check for updates in Windows Update and choose to hide it when it shows back up. Then it will not install and you can use the driver you want to.

Dch48, Sep 21, 2015
  14. nkomp18 Win User
    Enabling legacy boot and booting into safe mode didn't work for me. Once the driver is installed uninstalling it won't fix the issue.What happens is the computer refuses to shut down or restart or even hibernate. Restarting results in an endless bootloop. Booting into safe mode as well. Not sure why this is...

nkomp18, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upset with Windows 10 - Need to vent - Similar Threads - Upset Need vent

2. Windows vent thread, frustrations with updates and onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows vent thread, frustrations with updates and onedrive: Windows is great, but I'll never use it unless I have to. Unfortunately, the majority of my work requires windows software. For anything that doesn't require it, I am using my mac laptop.There are an assortment of things im nitpicky about with UI, but there are 2 things that...
  3. Any solutions?? im upset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any solutions?? im upset: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25200.1003 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\100522-6593-01.dmp]Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available************* Path validation summary...
  4. I am very upset

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I am very upset: Tried numerous ways in getting help to resolve an issue with absolutely no success. I need to get this done in a timely fashion, and I am very frustrated. Does anyone out there have success talking to a tech? How does one complain on total lack of service....
  5. Venting frustration.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Venting frustration.: I thought i could trust reinstalling windows to a different drive, 3 days ago. >Migrate hardware no problem. >Install new extra ssd no problem. >No microsoft migration tool? Ok. >Buy third party, migrate OS to new SSD. Boots no problem. >Wipe original SSD, restart. >New...
  6. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, CONFUSED AND UPSET WITH WINDOWS 10!!!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, CONFUSED AND UPSET WITH WINDOWS 10!!!: I am beyond frustrated trying to use Windows 10. The user name, user code, security code, password for Microsoft Account, password for Local Account, pin, Windows account, Microsoft Account, Local Account, etc. etc. have me totally confused and very, very frustrated! All I...
  7. WU Appears To Be Upset...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WU Appears To Be Upset...: I have WU paused until 12/22/2020 via the pause button on the WU page. Now, whenever I launch Settings, There is a message across the top of the Home page that says WU needs attention. I have not done the October "B" update, so I guess that's what set it off. I haven't...
  8. Very upsetting Virus warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Very upsetting Virus warning: I just got a scammy virus warning. I don't really know how in the world I managed to step into this particular bag of doo doo, but I was using the Edge browser and I typed in the address for linkedin. I must have been off by a ltter because all of a sudden my computer made a...
  9. Windows 10... Time to Vent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10... Time to Vent: Hi, This is not a question. This is a vent. I understand that Microsoft Feedback Hub app is the more appropriate forum in which to vent, but as you read below, you will understand why I am not able to use this app. I am venting about how Windows 10 designers no longer...
  10. Microsoft “Not Upset” About Windows 10 Leaks

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft “Not Upset” About Windows 10 Leaks: Since early November, when Microsoft announced that no other builds of Windows 10 would be released to users until early January, two different versions actually got leaked, providing us with an early glimpse of a bunch of new features, including Cortana. Leaks usually...