Windows 10: URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

Discus and support URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dear community This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable. A while... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Till, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Till Win User

URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

Dear community

This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable.

A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was surprised that now all files i create on my computer were automatically encrypted. What i actually wanted was to encrypt specific files. But i left it for quite a long time because i didn't find a solution to reverse it. It really started to annoy me that i had to decrypt my files every time i wanted to transfer them to another computer. Today i was so annoyed that i tried again to find a solution. I googled and found an instruction on how to delete the encryption certificate. Without really thinking i assumed that by deleting the thing i created some time ago, all the files would decrypt and my problems would be solved. So i didn't hesitate and deleted the certificates. Now all my files are s encrypted, but i can't decrypt them separately anymore.

All my files from university are on this computer and i can't access or decrypt them anymore.

Does anyone have an advice on how to solve this?

Thank your for your help

:)

Till, Nov 3, 2019

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Decryption of encrypted files

Hi,

One of our employee deleted and encrypted the files in the F: drive using cipher.exe command. While trying to recover them with a third party software, the deleted files are showing and all of them are encrypted. Can anyone suggest how can i decrypt and
    recover all the deleted data back?

RoyalUnited, Nov 3, 2019
  4. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

Decrypt Encrypted Files and folders Backed up from Win 7 to Win 10

Hi Dania,

Thank you for reply. Sorry for the delay.

• Did you use any program or software to encrypt files?
    • Did you try to decrypt with the encryption certificate/key?
    • What error did you receive when you try to decrypt?
    The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate. If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup, you won't be able to use the files
    that you have encrypted. For more information, see
    Back up Encrypting File System (EFS) certificate

Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

1. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate - Similar Threads - URGENT Decrypt files

2. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  3. File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key: Hi, so recently i had to do a backup and reset for my laptop and it is just after the reset that i realised that some of my files were encrypted. I had by luck been able to backup the certificates but cannot get access to the files still. It says that the private key is...
  4. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  5. Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created: Hi all, so TLDR: Files randomly deleted (maybe somehow hidden?) at around 16:39 today. Here's some of the info: Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Microsoft Visual Studio 2019, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Android Emulator were all running when this...
  6. How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification: I had windows 8 in the first place. Then I upgraded it to windows 10. It worked well and I encrypted some of my files. After two years, having had problems with my windows 10, I decided to update it. However, my drivers stopped working. Therefore, I formatted my C Drive and...
  7. How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate': Hi, My name is Gregory. I encrypted my files using the advanced attributes - encrypt content to secure data, while I was using windows 7. I later formatted my PC and installed windows 10 before decrypting my files. I don't have the 'certificate' to decrypt the files? what can...
  8. Can't decrypt encrypted files after update

Can't decrypt encrypted files after update: Hi I have an encrypted folder I enrypted. Now after the update to the newest version I cannot open any files in the folder, copy them or deactivate encryption. When I go into properties and try to decrypt, I get an error saying the file cannot be decrypted. If I try to copy...
  9. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

in Windows 10 Support
    URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate: Dear community This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable. A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was...
  10. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...