Windows 10: URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage

Discus and support URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there. In a few more days I am going to participate a gaming tournament for VALORANT a First Person Shooter game I just bought this laptop ASUS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Maevinarsh Loganathan, Apr 6, 2021.

1. URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage

Hello there. In a few more days I am going to participate a gaming tournament for VALORANT a First Person Shooter game

I just bought this laptop ASUS A409J-PEK066TS - with NVIDIA Geforce MX 330 2GB, i7 1065G7, 512 GB SSD, and 12GB RAM upgraded.

As I play VALORANT, the first 20 minutes of the game plays more than 100FPS. And after 20 minutes, it decreases to below 60 FPS, and after 30 minutes, the game goes completely unplayable 15 FPS.

I know what's on your mind, the graphic card is not suitable. Yes, of coarse it isn't.

But yesterday, I tried playing VALORANT with my cousin's laptop ASUS VivoBook S14 A411U - [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]i5-8250U, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce MX130 2GB, 1TB HDD & 256 GB SSD. I played VALORANT for 6 hours, and I had a very stable performance and throughout the 6 hours, the game played above 60FPS.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]The fact that my cousin's laptop which has lower specifications than my laptop but my cousin's laptop play way more better than my laptop really sucks.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]As I head to the Task Manager when the FPS is below 60 FPS and 15 FPS, I realized that this process called "Desktop Window Manager" was taking up to 70% GPU usage it uses GPU 0 - Intel Iris Plus Graphics. The game was of course using GPU 1 NVIDIA - around 20% to 40%, which is normal. When I was playing with my cousin's laptop, and head over the Task Manager every time, I don't even find this process called "Desktop Window Manager", and even if I did, I can assure you it would not have taken much GPU usage.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]I tried reaching out to VALORANT forums, they said they can't do anything to help me. This is something wrong with my device and not the game. I tried going to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor > Chose "High-Performance NVIDIA processor, and also went to Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Chose VALORANT > Chose NVIDIA processor as preferred processor. I also set all the graphics settings to the lowest. I disabled all startups. I also went to settings > lock screen > screen saver settings > Chose "none" at screen saver. I also went to This PC > Properties > Change Settings > Advanced > Performance > Chose Adjust for Best Performance. Despite all changes made, this problem did not fix.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]Why exactly is this process Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of GPU? It is clearly the reason of the FPS drop. I am definitely sure about this. I am desperate for help. I know my graphics card isn't really the best but this is just ridiculous, especially when my cousin's laptop which has lower specifications than mine could be able to play at 60+ FPS for 6 hours. My sister also has a gaming laptop, and when she plays any game, I don't seem to find Desktop Window Manager taking much GPU usage.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]I really need help for this. Hope any one of you could reach me out to help me fix this. Help would really be appreciated so much[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]Thanks In Advanced![/COLOR]

:)

Maevinarsh Loganathan, Apr 6, 2021
  2. brain829 Win User

Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage in Windows 10

Hey everyone,

i got the same Problem since two days. My PC configuration is a Gigabyte 2070 Super 8GB and a Ryzen 7 3700X and ive got every update from Windows and Geforce experience. I am wondering why Windows doesnt said anything to this Problem after seeing this thread
    being 20 Pages Long. Does anybody tried These Solutions
    https://appuals.com/fix-desktop-window-manager-high-cpu-usage-dwm-exe/
    ?

First i thought the cause is Google Chrome because it made high gpu and Volt usage too but after an uninstall the Problem was still there.

Is there any Suggestion how to solve the Problem. If this link is working please tell me.

Supergamerbro28, Apr 6, 2021
  4. URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage

1. URGENT Desktop Window Manager Process High GPU Usage - Similar Threads - URGENT Desktop Window

2. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  3. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  4. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage: Desktop Window Manager from 0 to 100+% load.I did: Full reinstall WindowsBios updateDriver delete and updateSafe modeCPU: i5 12400fGPU: RTX 3060 12GBI have this problem on laptop and pc....
  6. Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage

Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage: Desktop Window Manager from 0 to 100+% load.I did: Full reinstall WindowsBios updateDriver delete and updateSafe modeCPU: i5 12400fGPU: RTX 3060 12GBI have this problem on laptop and pc....
  7. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  8. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  9. Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists: Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue: Example 1 Example 2...
  10. Windows desktop manager high GPU usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows desktop manager high GPU usage: I have seen lots of people asking this question, but nothing helped me to get rid of the problem, i bought a notebook few weeks ago i7 gtx 1550 Ti , and all my games were running fluently on medium-high settings. Now smth changed, im constantly getting lag spikes, fps...