Windows 10: URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you...

Discus and support URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Here are what I've sent to others. Including a geek squad agent, but here is what I wrote because it has a lot of information you'll need. I have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nicolas123_4, Mar 22, 2021.

1. URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you...

Here are what I've sent to others. Including a geek squad agent, but here is what I wrote because it has a lot of information you'll need.

I have the correct installer, and it is to install and using Windows 10 Home, but currently unactivated.

I downloaded Steam and the games on the d drive. But when I play the games, my app data, "users" folder files are always saved to C: USERS "USERNAME"

I think this is because that is where windows is installed. READ BELOW:

WHat I am trying to do here is:

BOOT:

NVME M.2 SSD 256GB = BOOT DRIVE WINDOWS ONLY, plus one or two programs like video editors and need for speed games like csgo. These are programs I can do manually by choosing the location since there would only be a couple and not often will I do this.

Then there is my MAIN STORAGE DRIVE:

Sata NAND SSD 1tb: My everything else drive. For downloads like games, pictures, videos, not critical programs like an alarm clock or netflix, etc. This would probably be labeled d drive because my boot drive is forced as c drive and cannot be changed, I've tried it before.

Now I do not know this, but if I can be told this will be the quickest easiest fastest way for all my problems to be fixed and I will be so very thankfully grateful: The question is: If [THESE FILES: ==>]"""app data folder's and files, the "program files" , and "users" folder files, ETC Which are installed onto my nvme because thats were windows is installed""":==> are going to end up making large game files and game saves and program app data and stuff, are going to use up my boot drive space/data? As I also want to keep around no more than 60% used to keep speed.

[COLOR=rgba4, 12, 19, 1]
    1. You:

I desperately need your help.

2. You:

But I am sure it will be a hard one.

3. You:

I am not a computer noob, I built my pc yesterday!

4. You:

I have two drives.

5. You:

They are both ssd's

6. You:

One is an NVME m.2, and teh other is a sata NAND

7. You:

I have been trying to use them for games and other things.

8. You:

My nvme is my boot drive, as it is ultra fast and very high performing.

9. You:

It is 256gb

10. You:

my main storage is a sata nand 1tb ssd.

11. You:

They are correctly installed.

12. You:

I installed windows onto my nvme.

13. You:

All was good.

14. You:

Then I initiated and allocated my other main drive.

15. You:

All is good.

16. You:

But The program files and appdata and users are stored on my boot/nvme drive.

17. You:

SO When I downloaded steam onto my main 1tb drive.

18. You:

I installed games.

19. You:

I checked and saw that app data and users and other files and data were auto installed onto the nvme.

20. You:

But I do not want this because over time it will use up all my storage.

21. You:

The only reason I would use the nvme boot drive for something else is for high advanced and very important programs.

22. You:

Like a high performing game and anti virus and videoeditors, etc.

23. You:

I have tried online things like changing regedit and directory locations of the files.

24. [COLOR=rgba85, 85, 90, 1]10:39 a.m.[/COLOR]
      You:

Like changing desktop to d drive, and like program files x86 to the other drive.

25. You:

I want ALL files on my main drive to stay on my main drive, I do not want app data that is on my main drive to be stored on my boot drive.

26. You:

The only way I have found to do this is by installing windows to my main drive, but then I cannot move my boot drive files from the main drive to my boot drive; without paying wasted money for a program that probably will not work.

27. NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THESE BUBBLES.
    [/COLOR]

:)

Nicolas123_4, Mar 22, 2021
  2. Risto Win User

W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location

Hi,
    I just build up a new pc and changed from W7 to new era of W10 *Smile Was not that easy and pleasant experience as I thought.
    I have huge storage capability with this new pc but since I'm using very fast Intel 512Gb 600p M.2 SSD as C drive, I also want to make sure that all of my self created data will be stored to another disk, let's call it D.
    After extensive research, I found out that there are so many different guides how to change user folder locations for the following user folders (music, downloads, documents,pictures and videos) as well for changing the Windows 10 storage settings. All those guides are a bit confusing to me since I'm not ICT pro...

I already know that one can change the individual user folders (mentioned above) by just changing its location from folder preferencies. Here is a pic where we can see that I have already changed the location for the following user folders; pictures, downloads, music, document, favourites, and saved games). User folders Search, links, onedrive, desktop and contacts are still in C drive.

URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you... [​IMG]

I have not yet made any changes to W10 Storage settings as they remain default (C drive). If I have understood right by changing the storage settings in Windows it would lead to situation that W0 creates another library but user folders would still remain on C disk as default. This would lead to situation that user would have multiple storage locations. Am I correct?
    From the picture 1, we can already see one of the problems as Adobe Creative Cloud has already created its own folder to user folder in C location. This is exactly what I want to avoid. If I would go ahead and now install all the adobe media creation softwares, like Premiere Pro CC, it would also create some additional folders under user folder, useally under Documents. Adobe creates render and preview files that can be huge in terms of space. So I quess my question is that would I be able to avoid that by making changes to W10 Storage settings (pic2)?

URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you... [​IMG]

The third solution would be the one that Kari has presented in this forum but that seems to be very technical and there is also a lots of debate if that should be used or not. For non-professional PC user, it is very hard to choose what to believe and what not. Which advice or guide is correct and what is not. Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums[1]=User%20Accounts
    This tutorial by Kari includes very technical skills and I'm not sure if I'm up to it *Huh

This is what one another tutorials stated: "Although, this is a good option to help you save space in your local storage, it can get a little confusing for some users. Using this new feature will not change the location for the folders listed under "This PC" in the File Explorer. Many users can end up saving and moving files in two different locations without knowing.". This tutorial can be found here: How to manage file storage more efficiently in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Could someone kindly advice step-by-step in layman terms, how should I proceed and change my W10 in a way that also future programs that use NON-HIDDEN user folders to save data, would be stored to another drive, instead of C.
    (I don't mind if some code is written to hidden appdata etc folders under user folder. Those are not useally large files...)

Any clear, step-by-step advice would be greatly appriated.

Hyvää Itsenäisyyspäivää Kari!

Best regards,

Risto, Mar 22, 2021
  3. deduplication drive storage is full

Hello Everybody

I have deduplication enabled on a drive and now storage is full so I need urgently now to free up space on this drive.

so please help me with steps in order of time.

thanks all

Ahmed Seddek Ismail, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Eric Ber Win User

URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you...

Hard Drive Storage

Hi William,

In Windows 10, you can change the default Save location for apps, documents, music, picture and video files to another drive or partition. You can follow the steps below to change the default Save location:

• If your Windows 10 version is 1703 and later, go to Start Menu
      > Settings > System settings
      > Storage> Change where new content is saved.

• Otherwise, go to Start Menu > Settings
      > System settings > Storage.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you...

1. URGENT: DEVESTATING: Storage Drive Locations:EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Because if you... - Similar Threads - URGENT DEVESTATING Storage

2. Storage location problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage location problems: Hi. I recently got a memory card and moved everything to it. Ever since I changed my apps location I've been facing problems. Whenever I create new files on vscode I get an error message that it can't be saved,same when I try to delete it. Also I am unable to uninstall vscode...
  3. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage location changed: Hi, my C drive was almost full so as suggested in one of the questions here I just changed my "where new content is saved" from C to D drive. Does it mean all my "user" data is now moved to D drive or everything I save from now on will be saved in the new loc.And also what...
  4. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage location changed: Hi, my C drive was almost full so as suggested in one of the questions here I just changed my "where new content is saved" from C to D drive. Does it mean all my "user" data is now moved to D drive or everything I save from now on will be saved in the new loc.And also what...
  5. Update Storage Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update Storage Location: How do I change the save location for updates? I can't update because the hard disc is full, yet I have a 1TB hard drive almost entirely free of space. Any help is appreciated....
  6. Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer): Managed to overwrite "3D Objects" file with the hard drive disk (I), as I was trying to reroute file locations away from the full capacity SSD (C). Is it possible to restore the file back to 3D Objects, or is it permanently transformed? [img] Refer to system 2 specs....
  7. Screenshot storage location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screenshot storage location: Please, help! I have had this issue since my last renewal of Office 365. So regretful! With this latest renewal, I cannot find my screenshots. They are no longer in my screenshots folder under pictures under THIS PC. And they no longer name themselves by date. I...
  8. OneDrive storage location.

OneDrive storage location.: Hey guys, I'm needing a bit of help here. I have done a clean install of windows 10 Pro on a new SSD ( C Drive ) and using a HDD ( D Drive ) for storage. I have linked my Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music folders to D:\ Drive. Now that I have setup OneDrive, how...
  9. One Drive Storage Location

One Drive Storage Location: My laptop is running out of storage space. I have everything backed up in One Drive. Are these files in the One Drive folder in File Explorer stored locally on my hard drive, or are they stored on Microsoft's servers somewhere? I think they're stored locally. I can put...
  10. "Storage" only showing system drive

in Windows 10 Support
    "Storage" only showing system drive: Hi guys, I've got an issue with storage in settings, it's only showing my system drive on the PC. I've 7 drives in total and want to change where apps are being saved to but as storage is behaving as I've only got the one drive I'm unable to change to anything from "C"....