Windows 10: URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working

Discus and support URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The left-click on my Start icon has stopped working and several reboots have not resolved the situation. My Windows key doesn't work either. I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RhinoCan, Feb 7, 2016.

1. RhinoCan Win User

URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working

The left-click on my Start icon has stopped working and several reboots have not resolved the situation. My Windows key doesn't work either. I cannot launch Edge either. I'm running Windows 10 Home on a new Dell laptop.

What the heck is going on and how do I fix it? I've got apps that don't appear on my desktop which I am completely unable to use now.

For what it's worth, I can right-click the Start button since my latest reboot but I can't left-click it. (On the previous reboot, I couldn't right- or left-click it.)

I need this machine working ASAP because I use it for my job and my shift just started!

Thank you in advance if you can help!

:)

RhinoCan, Feb 7, 2016

2. Start button and cortina have stopped working

Hi Leela,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Restart the computer a few times.

Also, check for Windows Updates.

In the search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Also, place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Open command prompt. (Type cmd in Search or Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin).

Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1. Close the CMD window.

2. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

For Shutdown issue:

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Go to, Settings. Then System. Then click on Power and Sleep.

Click on Additional power settings. Then "Choose what the power button does".

Click on Change Settings. Finally unclick "Turn on fast start up".

Save Settings.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Leela_P Win User
    Start button and cortina have stopped working

Hi,

I've not used my computer over the Christmas period but have just turned it on and the Start button and Cortina have stopped working. I cannot type in the box for Cortina. I also cannot restart, shut down etc and I have tried the windows key and X key on
    the keyboard but these don't do anything either so cannot follow previous advice you have given. This is very frustrating as I have not made any changes to my computer at all. Please can you advise?

Leela_P, Feb 7, 2016
  4. URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working

I suggest you search this forum for start button not working

nigelmercier, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working

1. URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working - Similar Threads - URGENT Start Icon

2. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  3. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  4. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Start Icon/Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Icon/Button: I noticed that the Windows Start icon and the Start button do not work at all. Is there a setting I need to change? When I click the start icon to see all of my apps it doesn't work. So then I tried the start button on the keyboard, and that doesn't work either. How can I fix...
  6. Windows Start button randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start button randomly stops working: So whenever I click on the Start menu it doesn't open, my cursor will show a 'working in background' for about half a second. Also whenever I click Ctrl + I for the settings, it automatically closes itself out. I can open Task Manager with no issues though. P.S This happened...
  7. Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.: The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons. Does anyone know a fix for this issue? 26862
  8. Start button stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button stopped working: I made some changes to my network settings in an attempt to determine what was preventing my desktop system from sleeping. I was restarting my system after each change, and now my Start button has stopped working. Microsoft Edge crashed immediately when opened one time prior...
  9. "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working: I just did a clean install on W10 and change my bios to UEFI (which it supports.) I'm having this intermittent problem with the Windows "Start" Button in the lower left. It just stops working - left clicking doesn't do anything, although right-clicking does. I just have the...
  10. Start button has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button has stopped working: Hey guys wondering if some of you can help me out. The start button on windows 10 has stopped working for me. It came right after I installed a new graphics card though in the days before I had noticed strange stuff like when I searched for an app and clicked on its icon...