Windows 10: URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS

Discus and support URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, BIG PROBLEM. My organization is responding to the Wannacry update by rolling out new Windows 10 machines to critical users who run Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ricecracker, May 16, 2017.

1. URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS

Hello,

BIG PROBLEM.

My organization is responding to the Wannacry update by rolling out new Windows 10 machines to critical users who run Windows 7.

The OS version we are rolling out with is Windows 10 Enterprise, 1607, 14393.1198.

The problem:

1) We are attempting to meet compliance by patching the systems with the Wannacry fix KB4013429.

2) BUT, when we go to install it says "This update is not applicable to your operating system."

What's going on?

:)

ricecracker, May 16, 2017
  2. Sholnay Win User

Windows 10 versions not affected by wannacry

Thanks for the reply and I take security seriously and thankfully am not a click happy user as you mention. Though, with something like WannaCry, I'm at the mercy of ANY click happy user who is on the same network as I am.

After looking in to this more, I believe my personal machine running windows 10, even though they are not updated to the latest version of windows, are patched and safe from WannaCry.

For anyone else trying to figure this out on windows 10:

• Click on start icon
    • Type "winver" and hit enter, this opens the windows version dialog box.
    • Take note of your windows version AND OS build number.
    • If your Windows Version # is 1703
      • You are protected against this current exploit.
    • If your Windows Version # is 1607:
      • Check if your OS build number is equal or greater than 14393.953
      • If greater, you should be protected from the current WannaCry exploit.
      • If it's not, you should upgrade
    • If your windows version # is less than 1607, upgrade immediately.

More information about the KB fix for WannaCry exploit on Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4013429/windows-10-update-kb4013429

Sholnay, May 16, 2017
  3. Micknet Win User
    Wannacry

Windows 10 version 1607 OS build 14393.1066

Is this version open to attach from Wannacry?

Micknet, May 16, 2017
  4. URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS

Microsoft Update Catalog

Try downloading the proper version from the link above. The one that say server may work. I am assuming that you use a 64 Bit OS.

Josey Wales, May 16, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @ricecracker

KB4013429 (os build 14393.953) is not applicable to your system because you have already got KB4015217 which is what took your build up to 14393.1198.

Explain to your 'higher ups' that cumulative updates include all previous fixes and that...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4015217

You can show them the update history here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000825 so they can trace back the chain of replacements all the way back to that KB4013429.

6. FerchogtX Win User
    Well... in short, taking in mind the build number, you are already patched and up to date, nothing more needs to be done.

FerchogtX, May 17, 2017
  7. Indeed. Danke, everyone. This was helpful.

ricecracker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS

1. URGENT: Wannacry fix - THIS UPDATE NOT APPLICABLE TO OS - Similar Threads - URGENT Wannacry fix

2. My Computer affected with WannaCry Ransomware URGENT HELP!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Computer affected with WannaCry Ransomware URGENT HELP!!: How do i remove this ransomware safely without removing data? URGENT HELP!!! im need to finish my work project!!!! my works files is inaccessible!!!!...
  3. Patch OS is not applicable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Patch OS is not applicable.: Dear MS support. My company will update the patch to the client's users, By will have to manually install the patch of the 1st month of the quarter. But I found some patches not applicable after some time. Example windows 10 20H2 want update patch 2021-08 Cumulative Update...
  4. Patch OS is not applicable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Patch OS is not applicable.: Dear MS support. My company will update the patch to the client's users, By will have to manually install the patch of the 1st month of the quarter. But I found some patches not applicable after some time. Example windows 10 20H2 want update patch 2021-08 Cumulative Update...
  5. Patch OS is not applicable.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Still vulnerable to WannaCry

Still vulnerable to WannaCry: I am currently on Windows 10 N version 1803 (OS Build 17134.191) I've run the windows updater and installed all updates that were offered, but when using the EternalBlues tool that checks for vulnerabilities it still shows that I am vulnerable. Is there a specific patch that...
  7. Wannacry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wannacry: Is wannacry still active and what to do if you get infected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wannacry/05152dfd-e08d-4e70-a206-bd0ccf1e4626
  8. WannaCry

WannaCry: I saw on TV that the WannaCry Ransom Virus will be blocked if your Windows Updates are up-to-date. Which upgrade do I need stop the latest ransom from England or where ever? I just received my last Update around 5/11/2017. The only thing different, that I see, is that...
  9. Useful WannaCry Information

Useful WannaCry Information: I thought with WannaCry making the news at the moment we should have a thread with useful videos, articles, news and links in one place so members can link to it and users can refer to it. I'll start off with a collection of useful videos. RGCj3PhMPlI OLxKftAuv5M...
  10. WannaCry protection

WannaCry protection: By using a online free email service (such as Hotmail or Gmail) instead of the direct email provided by an ISP, am I protected from malaware such as the new WannaCry trojan horse malaware? This virus spreads thru attachments in email. Do the major free email services...