Windows 10: Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!

Discus and support Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my computer (a Dell Latitude E7470), on boot, keeps asking me for the BitLocker recovery key on my PC, on a Windows 10 Home installation. I can only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JahinOnReddit, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!

So my computer (a Dell Latitude E7470), on boot, keeps asking me for the BitLocker recovery key on my PC, on a Windows 10 Home installation. I can only access the recovery partition, and cannot access the C: drive in any way. I have tried resetting the BIOS Secure Boot settings, but to no avail. I am aware that Windows 10 automatically encrypts C: on Home editions and boots seamlessly without asking for a key, but it now asks me for a recovery key that doesn't exist.

I suspect that a Windows update or a faulty BIOS update from Dell might be the suspect.

submitted by /u/JahinOnReddit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JahinOnReddit, Apr 21, 2020
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one! [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one! [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!

1. Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one! - Similar Threads - Urgent Home asking

2. Urgent BitLocker Recovery Key Needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Urgent BitLocker Recovery Key Needed: HiAfter an unexpected Windows update on my Dell laptop, a BitLocker recovery key prompt appeared. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the key and encountered errors while trying to retrieve it by scanning the on-screen QR code.Seeking immediate guidance or instructions for...
  3. Urgent BitLocker Recovery Key Needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Urgent BitLocker Recovery Key Needed: HiAfter an unexpected Windows update on my Dell laptop, a BitLocker recovery key prompt appeared. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the key and encountered errors while trying to retrieve it by scanning the on-screen QR code.Seeking immediate guidance or instructions for...
  4. URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY: I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running Win 10 Pro. This weekend during a storm the computer died and will not restart. I took it to a local shop where of course they asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My MS Acct shows that MS cannot locate the device and the 'Manage recovery...
  5. URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    URGENT HELP REQUESTED - BITLOCKER RECOVERY KEY: I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running Win 10 Pro. This weekend during a storm the computer died and will not restart. I took it to a local shop where of course they asked for the Bitlocker recovery key. My MS Acct shows that MS cannot locate the device and the 'Manage recovery...
  6. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  7. Bitlocker recovery key Windows 10 Home

Bitlocker recovery key Windows 10 Home: Hi, I have a DELL XPS 13 laptop with Windows 10 Home edition. Yesterday windows pushed some updates and now my laptop is not even starting, it comes with a blue screen asking for Bitlocker recovery key which never existed as its a home edition. How can I solve this? Even if...
  8. Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key

Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key: Hi. I had to remove the internal battery from my laptop. Now when I boot up the laptop it goes to a blue screen asking for me to enter the Bitlocker Recovery Key. I do not have this key. When I purchased this laptop everything was already set up and working. I read now that...
  9. I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key: My laptop died and will not start. I removed the hard drive and got a sata to usb converter cable. I've connected the hard drive to an operating laptop to try to retrieve the data. when I try to access the hard drive it prompts for a bit locker recovery key. I never set up...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 suddenly asking for bitlocker recovery key