Windows 10: URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names.

Discus and support URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am unsure if this constitutes as a bug or not, but it is definitely strange Windows 10 behavior. I have a bad habit of browsing YouTube and dragging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cody_DeVore, Jul 23, 2020.

1. URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names.

I am unsure if this constitutes as a bug or not, but it is definitely strange Windows 10 behavior.

I have a bad habit of browsing YouTube and dragging video titles to my desktop so I can watch them later. I stumbled on this when shortening the file names out of boredom. If the link saves as "Brand X - product review" and I edit out the section after the "-" it changes the link location to either Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. To clarify: if the link was directing me to the YouTube video and I edited out the second half of the file name it then directs me to a social media page. It will even change the file icon from YouTube's play button to either of the Social media platforms icon. Is this normal?

submitted by /u/Cody_DeVore
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cody_DeVore, Jul 23, 2020
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Jul 31, 2020
  3. hvaleton Win User
    MS Paint "Save as" location is NOT the file source location

Hi,

In Windows 8.1 (and as far as I can remember in all previous Windows versions) I used to be able to do the following:
    • In Windows Explorer: Open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system, by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (press F12) and save the edited file IN ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION but under a different name.
    Now, in Windows 10, the situation is different:
    • In Windows Explorer I open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (F12) opens a dialogue box that suggests I save the file, NOT in its original location, but in a location that is either the default "pictures" directory or the directory that was previously used as a "save as" location in Paint (these locations are stored in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List")

Now I'd like very much to get the old, Windows 8 type situation back because this does not work for me! It's very inconvenient to have to scroll and click my way through the "save as" dialogue box until I finally find the directory where the edited file was stored in the first place! Why o why does Windows not remember this location?
    I've searched through the internet but it seems nobody else has this problem. I've searched the registry for the word "paint" but was not able to find a setting that would suggest to have some influence on the default saving location of Paint.

Can someone please, please help me? It's driving me nuts! And it's sooo frustrating knowing that it used to work like a charm in WIN8.1 and before.

To clarify the difficulty I experience I perhaps should add that the jpg files I most frequently edit are located on shares on my NAS in paths such as:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bach\Kerk\Jos van Veldhoven\Matthäus Passion, BWV 244 (24-88 2010)\scans\001.jpg
    As you can see, that's buried quite deeply into the file system! And so it costs all the more time and effort to find my way back from the previously edited jpg, say:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bruckner\Orkest\Chailly\Symfonie Nr.6 & Wolf - 4 Goethe Lieder (Goerne, KCO)\scans\001.jpg

P.S. I read somewhere that the "save as" dialogue boxes for Paint and Notepad should be basically the same. But... when I use Notepad to edit some txt file and afterwards use the "save as" option, it does direct me to the original location of the edited file, just as it used to do in Windows 8.1! That tells me that it should still be possible to get the old "save as" behaviour back for Paint. (Or am I being too optimistic here?)
    P.P.S. F12 does not work anymore in Notepad. You have to go through the menu "File" -> "Save as..." That's also a pain in the ass

Which registry key will do the trick for me?

hvaleton, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names.

Location of GPU-Z log files?

Just so people know ...

When you check the "Log to file" checkbox on the sensors tab, it will pop up a "Save As" dialog box and allow you to select the location and file name for the log.

Kreij, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names.

1. URL files saved from Firefox to my desktop change link locations when editing file names. - Similar Threads - URL files saved

2. Can't save a file from Office - Can't change a file name on the desktop after its been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't save a file from Office - Can't change a file name on the desktop after its been...: I cannot believe how absolutely awful Microsoft has become. From the inability to save files because a file name it too "long" is RIDICULOUS!! Then you cannot reach any form of a human being for any support!!!! Now, many of my work files I cannot change or update the names...
  3. Can't save a file from Office - Can't change a file name on the desktop after its been...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't save a file from Office - Can't change a file name on the desktop after its been...: I cannot believe how absolutely awful Microsoft has become. From the inability to save files because a file name it too "long" is RIDICULOUS!! Then you cannot reach any form of a human being for any support!!!! Now, many of my work files I cannot change or update the names...
  4. drag & dropping image files from firefox creates .url files that cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag & dropping image files from firefox creates .url files that cannot be deleted: Lately it happened several times, that when downloading image files per drag & drop, a .url link was stored instead of the image fileThe file created by windows? is a .url link extension always hidden with peduliar name and content see below.The file cannot be deleted or...
  5. Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files: I’m not even sure what to Google to try and figure this out. Looking for any help. My goal is when I go to save a file that the name of the file starts with this date format... YYYY-DD-MM Then the highlighted blue area would be editable and I could put whatever in there. But...
  6. Files name wrong after changing location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files name wrong after changing location: Hello I need help on my problem. Recently I change all my file location in my PC Such as Documents, Desktop, Downloads,.. etc from C: storage to D: storage. I find it strange because all the files are namely wrong and had the same name. Like, the Desktop and the Download...
  7. Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge: When I unlocked my computer this morning and tried "save as" for a photo out of Edge, there was one of my financial files names auto populated in the "file name" field. It has been some time since I've used Edge (usually use Chrome). I have not done anything with that file in...
  8. Desktop links changed to .url

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop links changed to .url: Since yesterday a couple of links on my desktop changed into .url files. The icons are not showing and they do not function anymore. For example Portal 2 (steam game) now shows a white icon with the text Portal 2.url. It contains the following information (I changed the GUI...
  9. Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file: I'm running windows 10 pro build 14986. For example, I go to bing.com. I drag and drop the shortcut from Firefox to the desktop. I double click on the shortcut and it opens File:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/OB0L0QRF/HGCFGEDM. I can watch...
  10. Locating saved files

in Windows 10 Support
    Locating saved files: Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own when I save files. I use "Save as"the first time and expect it to continue saving to the same location that I specified initially. But no, click on "Save" and it saves it in any one of a number of places so I end up with several...