Windows 10: US stopped using floppy disks to manage nuclear weapons arsenal

Discus and support US stopped using floppy disks to manage nuclear weapons arsenal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The US Air Force has quietly replaced the infamous floppy disks it was using to manage the country's nuclear arsenal with what sources described as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

US stopped using floppy disks to manage nuclear weapons arsenal

Brink, Oct 19, 2019
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

trying get external iomega floppy drive to work with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the current Windows 10 build version installed on your computer?
    2. Are you able to use the Floppy drive on a different computer?
    As there is a prompt on the screen saying the software is loaded, I suggest you to open the Disk Management and see if you are able to see the device under it.

Follow these steps to open Disk Management.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Disk Management.

Scroll down the Disk management window and check if the Floppy drive is visible, if yes.

• Right click on the Floppy drive.
    • Click on Change drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change.
    • Assign the drive letter you need and click on
      OK
    • Click OK to close the window.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Oct 19, 2019
  3. Retrieving info from old floppy disks

Thanks for your suggestions. I am stuck in that the floppy disk drive is not showing up in disk management. Any idea why? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

LeslieAM60, Oct 19, 2019
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Floppy disk controller which will not function in Windows 10

Hi Bob,

This issue may occur due to compatibility issues. Normally, if the new drive was reformatted, it gets a drive letter automatically and you do not need to take any further actions. Regarding the floppy-disk controller concern, please answer the following:

• How did you install the floppy-disk controller on your device?
    • Have you tried downloading the latest driver for the floppy-disk controller on its manufacturer's website?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the built-in hardware and devices troubleshooter in Windows 10. To do this, refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +X and select Control Panel.
    • Change the View by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Choose Troubleshooting and click on the View all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Restart your computer.

Please post back with the status of the issue, we'll be glad to assist you further.

Joan Pin, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

1. US stopped using floppy disks to manage nuclear weapons arsenal - Similar Threads - stopped using floppy

2. Floppy Disk Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floppy Disk Problem: I have a Windows 7 64 bit system that I still use two external floppy disk drives to store some data. I figure if the disks ever get stolen, no one has the old drives to read them! Plus, I got a gross of disks when they were being discontinued for nothing. Ha! Anyway, I've...
  3. Floppy Disk Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Floppy Disk Problem: I have a Windows 7 64 bit system that I still use two external floppy disk drives to store some data. I figure if the disks ever get stolen, no one has the old drives to read them! Plus, I got a gross of disks when they were being discontinued for nothing. Ha! Anyway, I've...
  4. Why are my floppy disk unreadable when using my Chuanganzhup floppy disk drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are my floppy disk unreadable when using my Chuanganzhup floppy disk drive?: I bought a Chuanganzhuo floppy disk drive to read my old floppy disks. None of them can be read or formatted. I am sure that they are not ALL corrupt. Why can't they be read?...
  5. About to do a Hard, violent, prob. use nuclear weapons reset on my HP Pavilion.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About to do a Hard, violent, prob. use nuclear weapons reset on my HP Pavilion.: I need to do a hard reset on my Jurassic, 100 million year old HP Pavilion, The thing i'm wondering is, I've already backed up my files that i'm gonna take to a DVD, Is it possible to get a system image of my windows 10,,,, And ONLY the windows, Nothing else, Just the...
  6. Disk Copy Command for use with Floppies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Copy Command for use with Floppies: Trying to copy from one floppy disk to another floppy disk. I need to make copies for MIDI Program Files. I have read that Win 10 has dropped the Diskcopy command from the Dos Shell. How can I make copies now? Are their alternative or work-arounds for this Command?...
  7. Floppy Disk

Floppy Disk: Window 10 does not recognized the floppy disk when a disk is inserted. Is there an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floppy-disk/fde13a9a-d820-4fe5-b508-5b03d022ba1e
  8. Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management

Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management: The floppy disk controller shows in Device Manager, but not the drive. The BIOS sees the drive and the drive was chosen in the BIOS and the controller was turned on in the BIOS. I tried to install the floppy drive manually in Add Hardware, but there isn't a listing for it....
  9. Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(

Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(: Hello all I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date! The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this! Yet in the "Device Manager",...
  10. Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates a floppy disk drive? :-(

Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates a floppy disk drive? :-(: Hello all I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date! The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this! Yet in the "Device Manager",...