Windows 10: usb 2.0 extension cable length

Discus and support usb 2.0 extension cable length in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to extend my usb cable and I can get 15 foot extension cables. What will happen when I plug my usb device that has its own 5 foot cable into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Jun 26, 2016.

1. usb 2.0 extension cable length

I need to extend my usb cable and I can get 15 foot extension cables.
    What will happen when I plug my usb device that has its own 5 foot cable into the 15 foot cable?
    Will it fail? USB is limited to 5 meters?

I have 3 usb devices. GPS, Keyboard, Mouse to plug in. Each would have its own usb extension 15 foot cable.

If that wont work, what about using a powered hub?

:)

sdowney717, Jun 26, 2016
  2. Nvrnight Win User

Microsoft Lifecam HD 3000 with USB 2.0 Extension cable...

When using a USB 2.0 extender with the LifeCam 3000, Camera app reports that the camera is in use, but works fine without the USB extension cable. Logitech camera works fine with the extension cable.

Using Windows 10 64 bit.

Nvrnight, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    HP Printer Deskjet 1055 Port compatibility issue

Hi,

USB Port 3.0 has different traits from USB Port 2.0. Below are some of the differences of each ports:

• Transfer speed. (480 Mbps for USB 2.0 vs. 4.68 Gbps for USB 3.0)
    • Actual data throughput. (280 Mbps vs. 3.2 Gbps)
    • Data transferring method. (half-duplex vs. full duplex)
    • Cable length and wires. (maximum of 5 meters vs. max of 5 meters)
    • Compatibility. (USB 2.0 can connect to USB 1.0 and 2.0 as USB 3.0 can connect to USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0)
    • Power consumption. USB 2.0 has a maximum current of 500 mA as USB 3.0 has a maximum current of 900 mA)

We suggest trying to use a different cable that is compatible to USB port 3.0 to help resolve the issue as this kind of incompatibility might cause your system to shut down unexpectedly.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Jun 26, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

usb 2.0 extension cable length

A very quick google search came up with this statement:

swarfega, Jun 26, 2016
  5. For a passive cable, does this mean you add in the length of the device cable?
    So then 15 feet plus 5 feet = 20 feet and it will fail?

I have read powered hubs are active repeaters, so I could have a 15 foot line to a powered hub and plug in all 3 usb devices into that hub and it will work fine?

I saw some active cables, however people report problems with using them. I figure if they have trouble so will I.

sdowney717, Jun 26, 2016
  6. sdowney717, Jun 26, 2016
  7. USB.org developers says dont bother with cable repeaters, just use a powered hub

USB.org - USB FAQ
    I did a test, strung together 19 feet of USB extenders. This worked fine, just perfect with my mouse and keyboard, so go figure... reading all the techno jargon it seems should have failed....

I went ahead and ordered that hub and a monoprice 15 foot usb extension cable.

sdowney717, Jun 26, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Those maximum lengths are just for devices that have maximum power draw, lesser devices may work.

CountMike, Jun 27, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Exactly. Mice, keyboards often work over longer lengths. HDD that have their own external PSU as well and so on.
    If a device is no longer found then you know the cable length is exceeded.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 27, 2016
  10. Just updating. I plugged in an external hard drive with a 5 foot cable into the 15 foot cable and it works fine.

I bought that hub, and it works fine sort of. The hub however has an issue. Not all the ports work all the time even with just a short cable to the PC. I found out the USB micro B port into the hub has defects. It has an odd scratchy feel, does not feel right. Inserting it over and over, various ports work and others do not. My guess is the little contacts going into the hub are not lining up properly all the time so electrically it is hit or miss randomly.

sdowney717, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. usb 2.0 extension cable length - Similar Threads - usb extension cable

2. USB extension Cable for Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB extension Cable for Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 keyboard: What USB extension cable do I need for Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Keyboard; using Windows 10.Keyboard comes with cable attached to plug into port in Windows 10 tower, but way too short and keeps un-plugging.Thanks for any help with this enquiry.EnnTee...
  3. usb extension cable

usb extension cable: My computer doesn't recognize the extension cable I'm trying to use to connect the PC to my embroidery machine. What shuld I do?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-extension-cable/0520a70d-799a-4722-b217-a0859b57d754
  4. mp3 length is 0:00 and works but can't play on USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mp3 length is 0:00 and works but can't play on USB: I have downloaded mp3 files from my phone and then shared/copied them to my laptop by either inserting my SD card or using Bluetooth. Every file still plays on my phone and laptop even though several of them have the LENGTH time of the file as 0:00. Normally, I wouldn't care...
  5. USB extension cable issue

USB extension cable issue: So I've bought a couple different USB cables that i have planned to connect together so that i may move my monitor, mouse, and keyboard into a different area of my house without moving my heavy desktop i have an alien ware area 51. though my problem is once i connect two or...
  6. USB hub not working with active extension cable

USB hub not working with active extension cable: I have a Sabrent 10-Port 60W USB 3.0 Hub that is in my basement and I ran a MutecPower 16 Feet Active USB Extension Cable 3.0 Male to Female with A Extension chipset Signal Booster to the room above where the hub sits. The output on the hub is a usb type b and on the other...
  7. extension cable

in Windows 10 Support
    extension cable: Hello I would like to ask your opinion regarding the purchase of a new extension cable . I've already consulted a video buying guide on but I'd like to know the right model and brand ideal if you've ever been in my place. Thanks in advance for your answers. 139720
  8. Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive

Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive: I have a USB extension cable that came with a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. It's about 6 feet long. The color of the "tongue" inside the USB connectors is white (not blue, which usually denotes USB3.0). I want to use it to make it easier to swap USB3.0 thumb drives...
  9. USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable

USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable: I purchased the Satechi USB Type-C hub for my PC. My motherboard has a Type-C connector on the rear I/O. The hub works fine if I connect it directly to the port but the cable is only 12" so I purchased a USB 3.1 Type -C male to female extension cable. But Windows gives me a...
  10. USB 3.1 version 2 cables and performance

USB 3.1 version 2 cables and performance: Will a USB 3.1 version 2 device run at maximum efficiency using a USB 3.0 cable? I have read that USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 version 1 can use the same cable but I can't find any information relating to USB 3.1 version 2. Also, will there be any performance increase with a standard...