Windows 10: USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives.

Discus and support USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently my Logitech C920 camera stopped working and was no longer showing up in the Device Manager when using either USB 2 or 3 ports. When plugging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cryptical, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Cryptical Win User

USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives.

Recently my Logitech C920 camera stopped working and was no longer showing up in the Device Manager when using either USB 2 or 3 ports. When plugging it in to other PC's it worked fine, so I began looking at Logitech drivers thinking that must be the culprit. After spending some time with Logitech drivers and programs and nothing working, I decided to plug in a splash drive or two just to check. Sure enough, they aren't detected either, just like the camera. I tried all USB ports 2 and 3. They aren't detected in any of them. Not showing up in the Device Manager or the Disk Management list. However, the splash drive lights do light up.
    I also have 2 USB external drives. A WD EasyStore and a Seagate Backup Plus Drive. Both of these are detected with no problems in both the USB 2 and 3 ports. They show up in the Device Manager and Disk Management.
    At the same time the USB issues began, my PC "Restart" option also stopped working. When I choose "Restart", the computer signs off, the screen goes black for a second, then the ASUS ROG logo appears and that's where it hangs. I can't even enter the bios at this point. My only option is to do a hard shutdown and restart with the power button, then it starts up normally. I tried all the suggestions online about this problem to no avail and I'm guessing it's also being caused by the USB issue (drivers?).
    I've tried uninstalling all of the USB Hubs and Controllers and rebooting to reset them, and changing the power options for the USB Hubs. I've tried everything I could find online regarding USB ports not recognizing drives. I can't find anything from ASUS that has helped. I'm guessing if I could install older drivers, that might work, but every time I've tried, Windows wouldn't let it complete. My roll back driver options are all grayed out. Any suggestions?
    ASUS Maximus VI Hero board, i7-4770K CPU, 16GB ram, Nvidia 780 graphics card, Win. Ver. - 20H2 (OS Build 19042.572)

:)

Cryptical, Oct 23, 2020

2. Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Asus Transformer Mini T102HA cannot see my portable blue-ray disc drive

The laptop is new with windows updated.

I plugged in my Pioneer blue-ray drive BDR-XD05B into the laptop's USB 3 port using the supplied cable and the disc drive powers up but the laptop does not see it?

What do I do?

Angela Berger, Oct 23, 2020
  4. fpefpe Win User

usb external drive(s)

Hello ---

my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port

It seems that if I try to use a powered (the hub uses a ac adaptor) usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disk(s) plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and sometimes just drop out ---- I tried 2 different
    power hubs with the same results

but, what is strange about this is that I found a passive (no power) usb 3 hub -- which supports up to 3 devices, and the external drives plugged into it work fine — just to note, that the external drives plugged into the hub are AC powered – they
    are not drive that require power from the usb connection

Is there a way to debug this?

thanks

fpefpe, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

1. USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives. - Similar Threads - USB ports seeing

2. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  3. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  4. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  5. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  6. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives.

USB-2 and 3 ports seeing powered disc drives but no splash drives.: Recently my Logitech C920 camera stopped working and was no longer showing up in the Device Manager when using either USB 2 or 3 ports. When plugging it in to other PC's it worked fine, so I began looking at Logitech drivers thinking that must be the culprit. After spending...
  8. USB ports, and dvd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ports, and dvd drive: I have a hp 15 laptop. as soon as the warranty expired the dvd player/burner quite working. it says insert disk and when I put an disk it, it does not spin to read it , it just says no disk. The next problem it has is I have a 8 in one card reader that I`ve used many times...
  9. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....
  10. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587