Windows 10: USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

Discus and support USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good afternoon everyone, I'm having an issue on my machine where when I boot the machine up the USB3 ports on the back are recognised and operate as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by StephenO1SO, Jun 6, 2020.

1. USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm having an issue on my machine where when I boot the machine up the USB3 ports on the back are recognised and operate as USB2 at USB2 speeds. When I reboot the machine though, the USB ports are then recognised as USB3 and operate at USB 3 speeds.

The machine is a HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim i5 3470S 8GB RAM and I appreciate that it was never designed to operate under Windows 10 however, it did come as standard with USB 3 ports on the motherboard so sort of expected them to work as standard?

I've tried various things including updating the BIOS, booting using a USB 3 USB hub, various tips and tricks from across the internet but nothing thus far has resolved the issue? I know I can just reboot the machine after first boot every time but being fickle I sort of want to work out how to fix the issue to prevent having to use work-arounds?

Just to confirm, I am using USB device tree viewer and can confirm that this is the same situation each and every time.

Any suggestions?

:)

StephenO1SO, Jun 6, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jun 6, 2020
  4. USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

Windows 10 USB 3 issues

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description flash drive (USB 3 device) is not working on your computer after upgrading to Windows 10.

I understand that the USB device is not getting detected by your computer. The issue may arise if the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt or if your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict
    with a USB device and Windows. This may also occur if your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt. So, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

• Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select
      device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click
      Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    • Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Method 2

The issue could be if the drivers are not updated or get corrupted. So, try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3

If issue persists try the steps provided to uninstall the USB device from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manger by clicking on Windows key + X and selecting
      Device manager from the list.
    • Expand the USB section.
    • Find the USB device.
    • Right click USB and select Uninstall.
    • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
    • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
    • Find the USB.
    • Right click USB driver and select Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Step 3:

Download and install the latest drivers for the USB from the manufacturer website

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

1. USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted - Similar Threads - USB bootup USB

2. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  3. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  4. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  5. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  6. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

7. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  8. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  9. my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2

my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2: my usb is being detected as a usb 2 that's a usb 3 port and cable by the oculus app and usb tree and i don't know how to make it work as a usb 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-3-being-detected-as-a-usb-2/711552c9-3958-44a2-9259-b38530ebfa4b
  10. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587