Windows 10: USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

Discus and support USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frank Luke, Dec 7, 2018.

1. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64.
    I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it for info.
    What is going on?
    I have searched the web and none of the issues sounded similar to mine and none of the solutions helped. It takes forever for the icons to populate also...I mean forever. Was never like this. These are usb 3.0 external enclosures with Seagate and WD Black HDs? Like I said-Lightning fast in Win 8.1x64

:)

Frank Luke, Dec 7, 2018

2. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I
    have aren't slow like this one is even with the same USB interface.

I have it set for better performance not quick removal and indexing is turned off. I bought this drive as an external USB HD and it’s 2.0 USB. I put it back in it’s original case and that didn’t help. It certainly wasn’t this slow with XP or WIN 7. Any suggestions?

G M Peters, Dec 7, 2018
  3. used a ext hd as a storage space. want to convert it back to being a ext hd. how???

Hi Nathaniel, thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not get " prepare for removal" all I get is "rename". There is nothing on the drive of any use. It is a 1TB EXT HD USB and I just want to return it to it's original state as a HD. Would be great if you
    could help.

frankcoulter1&, Dec 7, 2018
  4. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

used a ext hd as a storage space. want to convert it back to being a ext hd. how???

Used a ext hd as a storage space. Want to convert it back to being a ext hd. There does not seem to be a way to do this. Does anyone know how? In windows 10.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

frankcoulter1&, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

1. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow - Similar Threads - USB ext hd's

2. Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing: I bought a WD Elements Portable model number WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN. It keeps disappearing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I tried these suggestions: Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Working/Recognized/Showing UP Error – EaseUS I also changed the drive letter. But it...
  3. Onedrive file navigation crazy slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive file navigation crazy slow: Hi everyone. I just did a new build with Windows 10. Specs below: 10900k Asus z490 Rog Hero 64gb Ram 1tb Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME 1tb Samsung 860 EVO SATA RTX 3080 So the computer is great and speedy but when it comes to file navigation on onedrive its incredibly slow....
  4. slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with Bitlocker

slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with Bitlocker: Hi, after upgrading my two PC to Windows 10 Enterprise 2004, OS build 19041.450, I'm experiencing on both slow writing on USB 3 key encrypted with bitlocker. With previous Windows version writing speed was about 20 MB/s, now speed swings from 8 MB/s to 0. With the same USB...
  5. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts: It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the two partitions into one. I went into DiscManagement and deleted each partition. I expected to mount it again as a single 2...
  6. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  7. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100 Elsewhere it says that it comes with a Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1) connector. Is this the connector that plugs into the back of the drive and then on the other...
  8. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...
  9. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...
  10. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...