Windows 10: USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes

Discus and support USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive to my laptop and it works but after a few minutes of not using it the disk stops spinning and when I to use it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by snipy67, Feb 15, 2016.

1. snipy67 Win User

USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes

I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive to my laptop and it works but after a few minutes of not using it the disk stops spinning and when I to use it again my computer locks up and after 30-60 seconds it disconnects and reconnects some times. Else I have to pull it out. If I use the drive without a to long pause in between it work perfectly fine but as soon as the drive stop spinning and has to spin up that is where it happened. that feature in the power options turn on where the power to usb does not turn off. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I have an Idea I will look to see it I can change the hard drive shutdown time in properties. I not home yet I will let you know if that work

:)

snipy67, Feb 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 ignores power settings for USB external hard drives

I have a seagate 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 external drive, model NA423EPR, that will always spin down after only 3 minutes of inactivity on Windows 10. My previous computer had Windows 7, and on that OS, the same external hard drive would happily stay spinning 24/7,
    always.

This hard drive has its own internal setting for spinning down after inactivity. It was set to never, but using a special Seagate tool I changed it to 1 hour to see if that would make a difference. But it didn't. It still spins down after exactly 3 minutes.

I am already using the "High performance" power plan.

USB selective suspend setting is set to "Disabled".

Hard disk is set to "Turn off hard disk after: On battery: 30 minutes; Plugged in: 60 minutes".

And yet it STILL spins down after exactly 3 minutes.

The following is worth also mentioning: This laptop computer (an Acer VN7-791G) has an SSD for the OS and an internal 2.5" mechanical hard drive for other storage. I noticed that the internal mechanical drive was shutting itself off after merely 20 seconds
    of inactivity. The hard drive in question was a WD Blue 1TB WD10JPVX. I looked around and found tons of complaints about this hard drive model ignoring power settings and always shutting down after just 20 seconds. So what I did was, I opened the laptop and
    I replaced the hard drive with an older 2.5" 320GB drive, and this one actually stayed spinning as it should.

But, the seagate external drive still isn't staying on.

Also, I should mention that the seagate drive cannot be left idle on a USB 3.0 port, because it randomly disconnects/reconnects. It never does this when it's on a USB 2.0 port, or when it is actively being used on USB 3.0.

I also looked at the Power Management tab for all USB root hubs, to make sure that the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was unchecked, and they all were unchecked already.

Can someone please explain this? If this continues I'm going to have to install a
    program that writes to my external seagate drive once every 2 minutes to keep it spinning, which is a ridiculous fix; but, if Microsoft will not help me, I'll have to do it...

So, how do we get started fixing this problem?

abcdefghjk, Feb 15, 2016
  3. VivekWin Win User
    External hard drive not being detected

Thanks for the advice, but the external hard drive does not have a separate power cable, it is usb 3.0 powered. So I'm in a fix now as your solution will not apply in this case.

VivekWin, Feb 15, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Did to try from Power Options ? Change the plan to High Performance as shown below ?
    Just type in the box: Never

USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 15, 2016
  5. snipy67 Win User
    it's on never, I not sure if that condition applies to external drives

snipy67, Feb 15, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    You might also want to look at the USB setting.

topgundcp, Feb 15, 2016
  7. snipy67 Win User
    USB Selective suspend setting under the USB tab is off.

Edit: I found this program however I don't like there solution, they suggest that external hard drives go to sleep after 10 minutes. maybe there is not way to control the sleep timer on an external drive
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/preven...-sleep-windows

snipy67, Feb 15, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

The only left that I can think of is the firmware from the interface board inside the enclosure is set to be that way to prevent HD over heating.

Also, have you installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers ?

topgundcp, Feb 15, 2016
  9. snipy67 Win User
    I am not sure I going to install that now.
    okay It's installed

snipy67, Feb 15, 2016
  10. georgeks Win User
    I found on my system that with the drivers from Microsoft for a USB 3.0 controller the external USB HDD was disappearing.

After installing the ones from Renesas the issue disappeared.

georgeks, Feb 15, 2016
  11. snipy67 Win User
    I tryed installing the ones from Renesas but they are unsported on my machine it's worth noteing I am on my main laptop(Specs on the side)

snipy67, Feb 15, 2016
  12. georgeks Win User
    My controller is from Renesas, see here how to find the drivers for yours- is from an affiliated forum
    PC Help Forum

georgeks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes - Similar Threads - USB external hard

2. External usb wifi gets disconnected after 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External usb wifi gets disconnected after 5 minutes.: I purchased a new usb wifi stick for my laptop. I have installed all the drivers. It gets connected to wifi and later after 5 minutes it automatically gets disconnected.so initially it shows "wifi" and "wifi4" in the drop down of wifi. 5 minutes after connection it just shows...
  3. External usb wifi gets disconnected after 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External usb wifi gets disconnected after 5 minutes.: I purchased a new usb wifi stick for my laptop. I have installed all the drivers. It gets connected to wifi and later after 5 minutes it automatically gets disconnected.so initially it shows "wifi" and "wifi4" in the drop down of wifi. 5 minutes after connection it just shows...
  4. External usb wifi gets disconnected after 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Hard drive gets disconnected a few minutes after boot, the drive shows in bios and after I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive gets disconnected a few minutes after boot, the drive shows in bios and after I...: The hard drive gets disconnected a few minutes after boot, the drive shows in bios and after I log in to windows 10 but gets afterwards. The error message in event viewer says the drive is not ready for acess, it is the drive I have my Xbox games installed too. I also have...
  6. Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...: Yea so it's occuring every 5 minutes and is getting annoying, (the mouse cursor will disappear briefly for 1 second before the sound kicks in) I checked event viewer and there are many red error messages. Most are related to defrag error of both my SSD and HDD, some...
  7. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  8. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  9. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...
  10. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drive disconnects after 10 minutes

2. after a few minutes transcend hard drive disconnects