Windows 10: USB 3.0 External Hard Drives - Again!

Discus and support USB 3.0 External Hard Drives - Again! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When is Microsoft going to address the long ongoing issue with USB external hard drives not being recognized in Win 10? It's getting awfully darned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gtriever, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Gtriever Win User

USB 3.0 External Hard Drives - Again!

When is Microsoft going to address the long ongoing issue with USB external hard drives not being recognized in Win 10? It's getting awfully darned tiresome having to go to Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes every time in order to get access to my drives. And YES, I've tried all the common steps (Update drivers, uninstall drivers, latest motherboard drivers, changing USB cables, etc.). And while we're at it, how about the related issue with USB 3.0 hard drives being incorrectly detected as UAS SCSI Mass Storage Devices?

:)

Gtriever, Jul 30, 2019
  2. Static~Charge, Jul 30, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Julie Ram Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Hi twynog,

The issue that you're experiencing with the external hard drive might be due to some missing Windows hardware or software updates. To help you in resolving this, you may follow the steps below:

Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive - this method resolve issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

• Select Start, type Device Manager in the Search box.
    • Select Device Manager from the returned list.
    • Select Disk Drives from the list of hardware.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the issue, and select Uninstall.
    • After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.
    • Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load.
    • Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

If method 1 doesn't work the way it should, you may proceed to other steps provided in this
    article.

Do get back to us if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same issue.

Julie Ram, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 External Hard Drives - Again! - Similar Threads - USB External Hard

2. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  3. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  4. external hard drive connected by usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  5. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  6. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  7. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  8. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS

USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS: I am aiming to get a USB 3.0 external hard drive of at least 3 TB to be formatted as a single user-data partition using the GPT organisation and NTFS, and to have it visible by Windows 10 and by Windows 7 (actually WS2008R2 SP1). Searching gives a number of views. One of...