Windows 10: USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

Discus and support USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by atr1, Jan 2, 2016.

1. atr1 Win User

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

Hey guys,

I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable E-HDD, the computer recognises the drive for a few seconds and then disconnects. This keeps happening while the the E-HDD is still plugged into the port, so it just keeps connecting and then disconnecting. There's hardly enough time to access the drive. The problem seems to be non-existent when I plug the device into the USB 2.0 port. My father has a similar E-HDD and has similar issues with this PC. I've looked high and low on the web for solutions. The ports are part of the motherboard and their drivers I assume come along with the Intel chipset drivers, which I updated but to no avail. I tried adjusting my power options; I disabled, 'USB selective suspend setting' which was also unsuccessful. I'm using an ASUS B-85 plus motherboard and my E-HDD is a WD My Passport 500GB. This E-HDD is accessible on my laptop via its 3.0 port. I think it is safe to say that the E-HDD is not the issue but rather the ports on the computer.

Please help!

:)

atr1, Jan 2, 2016

2. USB 3.0 Controller

I have a M4A87TD motherboard using Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) for the USB chipset. I was running W7 Pro and my external HDD USB 3.0 would only work if I started with it connected. I upgraded to W10 Pro and now it cannot
    see the device connected to USB 3.0 slot. Device status shows "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)".

I uninstalled and reinstalled from the motherboard DVD and all worked briefly until I put in a DVD and then neither the external drive and the DVD drive could not be seen and the same error shows.

I have attempted to see if there is an update for the USB 3.0 driver but nothing found. This is very irritating as I need to back up my system both on cloud and on external HDD.

Can anyone help?

Ascottgent, Jan 2, 2016
  3. SimonTFO Win User
    File history won't detect external HHD

Hi,

I have an issue regarding Backup using File History.

I have an external HDD connected to my desktop with USB 3.0 that is not detected when I select "Add a drive".

The drive is visible though in file explorer and in device manager. I'm using the external HDD continuously without issues.

But when I'm trying to use it in File History it isn't detected.

I've tried the normal things like udate to latest software and frimware om both my computer and on my external HDD.

I've tried to restart both the computer and the external HHD.

I've tried to swtich to another USB-port, from I/O to USB-jacket.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the external HDD.

I've also looked in advanced settings but same issue.

What more is there to try?

Regards,

Simon

SimonTFO, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

1. USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue - Similar Threads - USB External HDD

2. USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.: Hello Team,I have bought Diva USB 3 to 3 USB network adapters including ethernet. I am using Lenovo ideapad 5, which does not have a build-in LAN port and I am unable to find ethernet drivers, also the Realtek auto installation program. The USB ports within the hub are...
  3. USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.: Hello Team,I have bought Diva USB 3 to 3 USB network adapters including ethernet. I am using Lenovo ideapad 5, which does not have a build-in LAN port and I am unable to find ethernet drivers, also the Realtek auto installation program. The USB ports within the hub are...
  4. Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected: This is being posted as an additional answer for a problem that a closed thread helped me solve: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-boot-windows-10-with-external-hard-drive/bebed3d3-eddd-4132-b7bd-d5335945e981 I was having this issue with my...
  5. External HDD issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD issue: I have an external hard drive that is 2 TB in size connected via usb. I have tried to use it to make both Windows 10 installation Media or Windows 10 recovery media. In both cases the creation of the media fails. The hard drive as a result loses its formatting and partitions...
  6. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  7. Issues to connecting a USB 3.0 HDD case

Issues to connecting a USB 3.0 HDD case: Hi everyone. Recently i bought a hdd case USB 3.0 for my computer, specifically a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series working with Windows 10. The trouble is I put the cable in the port and after, maybe 1 minute, is when my laptop recognize the HDD. That's not all, the speed of...
  8. Read/write from HDD connected via USB drops to 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Read/write from HDD connected via USB drops to 0: Hey sup people, I have this weird issue with a 7200 rpm SATA2 HDD connected to my newer PC (Ryzen 3600, X470) through a USB 2.0 container manufactured by STLab. Both the HDD and the container are 10 years old or slightly more. First of all, no issues with my old Windows 7...
  9. External HDD Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD Issues: I was given a 3TB hard drive that I am wanting to use for my son's PS4 as extra storage. In order to do so I need to format it to exFat. When I try to do that with my laptop it only shows 349GB as the size. I am trying to use Diskpart to determine if it is a "read-only"...
  10. USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update

USB 3 external HDD Detected but inaccessible-Post Anniverssary update: Hi All, First thread on these forums but noted a few posts with similar but not quite the same symptoms. I have a 1TB Seagate external USB3 HDD (not an ssd just a normal spinner). On two Win 10 devices I am now unable to access the contained data after the anniversary...