Windows 10: USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10

Discus and support USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10 I read its not possible for a USB flash drive 3.0 to work in Usb Flash 2.0 port? How come the flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by groze, Jul 17, 2017.

1. groze Win User

USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10

I read its not possible for a USB flash drive 3.0 to work in Usb Flash 2.0 port? How come the flash drive works in windows 7 but not windows 10? It also work in Linux mint 18.2 for info. As far as I know my USB drives are 2.0

Windows 10 sees the drive in Disk management but can't read/write/ or access it. I also read USB 3.0 flash drives are blue, don't know if that is accurate.

No help needed. I am just playing around with 10 to pass the time.

:)

groze, Jul 17, 2017
  2. KKoumatos Win User

Does Win 10 load USB 3.0 driver during startup?

I am buying a new VAIO Z Canvas computer which comes with USB 3.0 and Win 10 pre-installed.

I know that in the past versions of Windows (Win 7 for instance), USB 3.0 drivers were not loaded during startup, which meant that I needed to use a USB 2.0 port for using my recovery disk so I could actually work with the flash memory to recovery my system.

Has this changed in Windows 10?

Do the USB 3.0 drivers load during start up?

Thanks,

Kai*

KKoumatos, Jul 17, 2017
  3. Onun Win User
    USB not working

after upgrading to win 10, some of the usb ports do not work, usb port 3.0 works, but the other 3 usb ports 2.0, do not work.

after upgrading to win 10, some of the usb ports do not work?- Original Title

4. NavyLCDR New Member

USB 3.0 flash drives will work in USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 flash drives will work in USB 3.0 ports. They are completely backwards compatible with each other. USB 3.0 ports are blue, USB 2.0 ports are black.

Copy all the files off the flash drive you want to keep. In Windows 10, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) or Win+R to open a run dialog and run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the actual number for the flash drive.
    clean <- this will erase the selected disk above, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit
    exit

Hopefully that fixes the flash drive, and if you decide to put Windows 10 installation files on it, it will be bootable as well (due to the "active" command)

NavyLCDR, Jul 17, 2017
  5. groze Win User
    It has to be a driver windows 7 has that windows 10 doesn't & removed. I just bought the item. As long as it works in other operating system, I am not going to worry about it.

groze, Jul 17, 2017
  6. Yes, Windows 10 has a lot of driver issues, especially with USB and graphics.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10 - Similar Threads - USB Mystery works

2. Clean instal Win !0 with USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean instal Win !0 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  3. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  4. Win 7 to Win 10 USB Issue

Win 7 to Win 10 USB Issue: I currently run Win 7. I just purchased Win 10. I plugged in the USB drive to begin the setup per the instructions however no new device was visable to open. I checked device manager and it shows as an unknown device and I can't seem to locate a driver to make the USB drive...
  5. Mysterious Win 10 Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mysterious Win 10 Issues: So for months now I have been having a series of issues with Windows 10. The biggest issue being seemingly random reboots. The only clue I have found in regards to this is a Bugcheck Error that I can see in the Event Viewer. Which occurs every time the reboot occurs. On top...
  6. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  7. Issue with USB 3 & Win RE

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Issue with USB 3 & Win RE: I recently attempted to restore my W10 system image to a new SSD via a Macrium-created Win RE USB recovery medium. The image was created, verified and saved to an external HDD in a USB 3 compatible drive dock (both HDD & USB stick connected via USB 3 ports). Several attempts...
  8. Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10: Hi. I have just handed back my work laptop (Win7) and cannot read the USB drive on my home laptop (Win10). I have tried Device Manager and Disk Management approaches. The latter states that my drive has not been initialised. (Which cannot be correct, as I have written...
  9. win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1

win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1: when i try to install win 10 i get win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1 my laptop came install with win 8.1,rtied 3 times to install,same message.thanks for any help,maty 20636
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...