Windows 10: USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

Discus and support USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter that has worked for many years. Sadly Windows did a number of updates and I do not know which to remove to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ouch-why-me, Nov 16, 2020.

1. USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

I have a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter that has worked for many years. Sadly Windows did a number of updates and I do not know which to remove to get my device working. It is important to note that I also have a number of external USB drives that work fine. However, the USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer has the ability to connect any hard drive so I can access it. I even purchased a replacement adapter, same problem. I know it is NOT a cable, power supply, USB port, or other common issue because I have tried all those options already. I have even uninstalled the "Mass Storage Device" and visible USB adapters. Then restarted my PC, Windows obediently reinstalls everything and the same problem persists. I have also tried updated device drivers, no joy. The only thing I can assume is one of the following Windows Updates has caused a problem, they are what has been installed since my last successful use of the USB Adapter:

1. Security Update for Adobe Flash Player: October 13, 2020 KB4580325
    2. October 13, 2020-KB4578968 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 , version 20H2
    3. Update for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10, version 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004: August 31, 2020 KB4576754
    4. October 13, 2020—KB4579311 OS Build 19041.572

Note: I have also installed the following, even though I was having the above mentioned problem - I hoped they would resolve the issue:

• November 10, 2020—KB4586781 OS Builds 19041.630 and 19042.630
    • Feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2

:)

ouch-why-me, Nov 16, 2020
  2. Darkrealms, Nov 16, 2020
  3. IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

I use a RCW-608 Rosewill Sata or IDE to USB 2.0 adapter that's been working with either Sata or IDE drives under W10 1703. I also have several 2.5" Usb 2.0 enclosures that use the "Y" cable and have IDE drives inside of them that work flawlessly. Maybe you do have a problem with those cables.

Note that these units were plugged into USB 3.0 ports only.

storageman, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Carsomyr Win User

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

I went through device manager and cleaned out all the instances that were created in the usb/volumes/shadow volumes sections and rebooted. The 3rd drive no longer rapidly connects/disconnects. It still refused to do a low level format using the format option in Disk Management. Using diskpart I made sure the drive wasn't set to read only. I tried to use the clean command in disk part with the all flag set, it did not work. I have no idea why this drive is giving me so much grief.

Edit: The 3rd drive is garbage. Which is surprising because the computer it was in still ran fine, but whatever. The drive is muddled enough and I don't care, it's getting recycled as is.

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update [​IMG]

Carsomyr, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

1. USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update - Similar Threads - USB SATA IDE

2. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA to USB-c adapter not working: Wanted to upgrade my 2 laptops and desktop hard drives to SSD. Bought 2 WD 500gb SSD's and a WD 1T SSD. Also bought a wavlink usb to sata adapter and used Macrium Reflec for cloning. Connected the first WD 500 to my Dell Inspiron Win 10 Home using Wavlink and proceeded to...
  3. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA to USB-c adapter not working: Wanted to upgrade my 2 laptops and desktop hard drives to SSD. Bought 2 WD 500gb SSD's and a WD 1T SSD. Also bought a wavlink usb to sata adapter and used Macrium Reflec for cloning. Connected the first WD 500 to my Dell Inspiron Win 10 Home using Wavlink and proceeded to...
  4. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  6. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  7. USB 3 Ports No Longer Work

USB 3 Ports No Longer Work: After updating Windows back in May, my USB 3.0 ports provide power, but no data. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the USB drivers to no avail. I have been unable to find an older version of the drivers to rollback to. I am currently on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042 Build...
  8. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized: I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and multiple USB ports both front and back using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter. Both of my PCs run windows 10. Neither one recognizes...
  9. Connected SATA with IDE Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected SATA with IDE Settings: I have G4117L0D bios Zebronics ZEB G41 D3 motherboard in my PC I have connected 2 HDD, both have 6GB/s capability (SATA 3) BIOS has options of SATA type as IDE, AHCI, RAID. In IDE there are 2 options, Before PATA and Behind PATA. In AHCI there are again the same options...
  10. IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update: I have an R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Cable (Comes with an AC adapter) and a SODIAL USB 3.0 to SATA III Cable (USB power only). I have tried to format 2 IDE drives on the 2.0 cable and one drive on the 3.0 cable. Using the 2.0 cable I have incessant disconnecting and...