Windows 10: USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2

Discus and support USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi guys, I have an odd problem - just recently we moved to Germany and there's a new connection here, with a Fritzbox, which seems to be popular, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gabgab, Feb 15, 2019.

1. gabgab Win User

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2

hi guys,
    I have an odd problem - just recently we moved to Germany and there's a new connection here, with a Fritzbox, which seems to be popular, and here's the situation.

I have an ASUS VivoBook S15 S510UQ that I really like, overall works well. Now something strange happened since arriving here. I wanted to test the speed of the connection with the Ethernet Cable and saw it was quite slow, and wifi going faster....which is very odd..

so this is the setup: Hamlet USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter going to the Ethernet Cable, I will attach 2 speed test screen shots so you will see.

Basically when the adaptor is plugged to the usb2 port, it doesn't go past 10-11mbps which is very slow (basically 1.4 MB/SEC) whereas if I plug it into the usb3 port, it goes to the full potential of this connection which is approx. 160mbps that is almost 20 MB/SEC and that's quite great.

Now this might seem normal, usb3 adaptor in usb3 port, etc but the thing is it never behaved this way and also, on my wife's Win10 PC (same setup as mine pretty much) but it's a Lenovo Yoga, it does exactly the same speed on both USB2 and USB3 ports, maybe 1mbps more than mine but we'll leave that one out.
    In Italy I have a 200mbps connection and I am able to reach 198 mbs with the speed tests on the usb2 -- that was a few months ago.

Now I updated the drivers of the USB adaptor and nothing changed, the only recent thing happening was a windows update and that's that.

Do you guys have any ideas? Oh and to complicate the situation, when I go into STATUS it shows 1 Gbps in both configurations usb2 and usb3 - it's just the throughput that dramatically changes?

any ideas? Asus support suggested me to reinstall the chipset drivers, which I did but nothing changed and I don't want to do a system restore as the machine runs well. I usually keep the SS USB3 free in case I have to transfer files with the external hdd and not for the internet....oh well....

The usb is recognized by windows as ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

on the USB 3

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2 [​IMG]

on the USB 2

thanks guys!
    Gabrio

:)

gabgab, Feb 15, 2019

2. Sonnet Releases USB 3.0-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Sonnet today introduced the compact Presto Gigabit USB 3.0, a USB 3.0-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter. The Presto adapter provides users with a simple way to add Gigabit Ethernet-wired networking connectivity to Mac and Windows computers with USB 3.0 ports, exploiting the 5 Gb/sec SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interface to deliver full Gigabit speed performance with suitably equipped computers. This Sonnet adapter is also backward-compatible with USB 2.0.

With the introduction of thinner and lighter computers, manufacturers continue to remove ports that were once standard. One of the first to go was the bulky RJ-45 connector for Ethernet, the wired networking interface standard. The connector is no longer present on popular computers such as the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and many Ultrabook devices. Sonnet's Presto Gigabit USB 3.0 adapter instantly bridges the gap left by the missing onboard RJ-45 port, enabling wired file access and sharing at up to 1 Gb/sec.

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2 Sonnet_USB3.0-to-Gigabit_Ethernet_Adapter_01_thm.jpg

The Presto Gigabit USB 3.0 adapter supports 1000/100/10BaseT auto negotiation and full/half duplex communication, enabling it to connect easily with most networks. It also supports jumbo packet transfers (compared to 1,500-byte standard packets) to provide higher performance and reduced overhead when transferring large files.

The port-powered Presto Gigabit USB 3.0 is energy-efficient while in use, and consumes even less power when no data is being transmitted. This adapter includes a short USB 3.0 cable to keep the device close to the computer and allow the user to see its power, link, and activity LED indicators.

"The Presto Gigabit USB 3.0 adapter is a handy, affordable accessory for anyone whose computer lacks an Ethernet port," said Greg LaPorte, vice president of sales and marketing for Sonnet Technologies. "Its small size, detachable USB 3.0 cable, and bus-powered operation make it an ideal companion for the latest notebook computers. On older computers, this Sonnet adapter also delivers better performance when connected to a 480 MB/sec USB 2.0 port than an onboard 100 MB/sec Ethernet port, making it a great way to upgrade."

The Presto Gigabit USB 3.0 adapter (part number USB3-GE) is now available at a suggested retail price of $39. More information on this product is available at www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigusb3.html.

Cristian_25H, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Diamond Multimedia Introduces UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Diamond Multimedia has introduced the newest addition to their USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter line, the Diamond UE3000 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. The high performance plug-and-play Gigabit Ethernet adapter offers energy efficient settings while still providing the most proficient Ethernet adapter services for most operating systems by using a standard USB port.

The USB Ethernet adaptor, is a fully functional, easy to use and outfitted for desktops, notebook PC's, Ultrabooks, Macbooks, docking stations, game consoles and digital-home appliances. It ensures true 10/100/1000 Mbps network speed through an existing USB port with a small form factor and simple, fast plug-n-play connectivity. Diamond Media's UE300 is a convenient, and well-designed product for Ethernet usage. The UE3000 is able to outfit many operating systems such as: WIN 8. WIN 7 64, WIN VISTA 64, WIN XP, MCE, MAC OS X. Additionally it is compliant with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 specifications.

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2 168843_UE3000_Diagrm_thm.jpg

How it Works?
    Diamond Multimedia's UE3000 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter can effortlessly provide the fastest Ethernet access. Users may plug-in a free USB port, and connect the adapter side to an Ethernet cable. Upon connection, users can readily connect to the Internet. Packages come with instructional CD for installation.

Pricing and Availability
    The Diamond UE3000 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter is now available at the Diamond Multimedia Online Store, at authorized including resellers Amazon, Fry's Electronics, MicroCenter, NCIX, Newegg, TigerDirect, as well Futureshops, and Best Buy Canada. The device retails at $29.99.

Cristian_25H, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Adalwar Win User

Gigabit LAN to USB adapter

Hi,
    I have been doing some test about USB2.0 & 3.0 regarding to find out what is going on here.
    The Motherboard Chipset has USB 3.0, but the case Connectors are USB 2.0, they are black. I have also opened the case to see if there was 8 Lines to connector but there are only 4 , so no way to exchange connectors.
    My previous test was wrong, USB 2.0 are full speed, I was transferring the file to the internal SD-Card and Card / Adapter are "half-speed" or something else is slowing down the I/O speed.
    In both Laptops the USB 2.0 is very close to 40MB/s.
    And USB 3.0 is 300MB/s, probably behind the 400MB/s because SSD can not reach that speed.

Adalwar, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2 - Similar Threads - USB Gigabit Ethernet

2. USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed: I bought this USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter, connected it to a usb 3 port, and as you can see from USB Device Tree Viewer it’s only working in usb 2.0 mode.But, if i use the “restart port” feature it’s then recognised correctly as USB 3, as you can see here.This only happens...
  3. USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed: I bought this USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter, connected it to a usb 3 port, and as you can see from USB Device Tree Viewer it’s only working in usb 2.0 mode.But, if i use the “restart port” feature it’s then recognised correctly as USB 3, as you can see here.This only happens...
  4. ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting: Hey :So my USB-C Ethernet Adapter ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter ist not connecting on the first boot up... it only connects when i started my pc, logged into my account and then restart my PC. Can someone help me with this issue? I´d like for it to...
  5. ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting

ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting: Hey :So my USB-C Ethernet Adapter ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter ist not connecting on the first boot up... it only connects when i started my pc, logged into my account and then restart my PC. Can someone help me with this issue? I´d like for it to...
  6. Ethernet not reaching max speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet not reaching max speeds: We recently switch form provider, because we have fiber internet now. But for some reason I don't reach the 1Gbps speed using ethernet. The problem isn't with our provider see figure 1 and 2. The ethernet cable isn't the problem either, I first used a cat 5e cable and...
  7. Ethernet not reaching max speeds

Ethernet not reaching max speeds: We recently switch form provider, because we have fiber internet now. But for some reason I don't reach the 1Gbps speed using ethernet. The problem isn't with our provider see figure 1 and 2. The ethernet cable isn't the problem either, I first used a cat 5e cable and...
  8. USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds: I have a usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter connect to the usb3 slot on my laptop but its only connecting at usb 2 speeds.... but when I connect my usb3 lexar flash drive in the same port I do get usb 3 speeds. It appears the ethernet adapter is not connecting to the 'companion...
  9. Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds

Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds: Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading to fibre to get gigabit speeds around (950/500ish) And I am wondering how can I confirm that my network card (via ethernet) will actually support gigagbit speeds? I have checked these two settings here, and the network card actually has...
  10. Gigabit LAN to USB adapter

Gigabit LAN to USB adapter: Hi, I am looking to buy a Gigabit LAN to USB adapter and I have seen that all of them are USB3.0, but my PC has only USB 2.0. The question is, due the USB 2.0 limitation, the adapter will work only as 10/100Mbps LAN, 1GBps is not possible on USB 2.0. It that right? 67152

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot