Windows 10: USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

Discus and support USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alecm3, Nov 10, 2018.

1. alecm3 Win User

USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again intermittently.

I connect the same Seagate drive to the right USB port. The same 4GB file transfers with a constant speed of approximately 150MB/s. Thus the Seagate drive is not defective. Perhaps the left USB port is defective.

I connect a Sandisk 128GB flash drive to the left USB port (that is now suspected defective). It transfers the same 4GB file with constant 130MB/s speed, no speed drops!

Each step is reproducible 10x.

I am out of my wits here.

:)

alecm3, Nov 10, 2018

2. 7 Port High Speed USB 3.0 Hub

they were asking for this... https://geeks.com/collections/best-...h-speed-usb-3-0-hub-windows-mac-os-compatible so that they did not have to search the page for it. Common courtesy when listing a hot deal really.

sneekypeet, Nov 10, 2018
  3. foxslink Win User
    USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Nov 10, 2018
  4. boromaill Win User

USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

What is the speed of an external ssd when plugged into usb 2.0 port?

Iam using several usb keys to transfer movies and stuff from one to another pc but it takes forever to transfer for example one 10 gb movie. Will buying an external ssd solve my problem. I see that its connected with pc via usb cable. What speeds will I be able to achieve? On one pc I have only usb 2.0 ports and on the other one I have usb 3.0 ports.

boromaill, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

1. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT... - Similar Threads - USB transfer speed

2. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.: I have an Asus Vivobook 15 X512JP running Windows 10 Home. Suddenly the 2 left side USB ports stopped working. Only the right side port works. I already tried uninstalling and installing the USB Drivers....
  3. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.: I have an Asus Vivobook 15 X512JP running Windows 10 Home. Suddenly the 2 left side USB ports stopped working. Only the right side port works. I already tried uninstalling and installing the USB Drivers....
  4. Only one of my USB ports out of 3, is working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Only one USB port not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only one USB port not working.: My HP Notebok Laptop is currently running on Windows 11 home edition which I purchased two weeks ago.There are 2 USB ports in my laptop,but only 1 port is functional while other port is only giving power.The malfunctioned port is not detecting or showing devices on MYPC,it...
  6. Only one USB port not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only one USB port not working.: My HP Notebok Laptop is currently running on Windows 11 home edition which I purchased two weeks ago.There are 2 USB ports in my laptop,but only 1 port is functional while other port is only giving power.The malfunctioned port is not detecting or showing devices on MYPC,it...
  7. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  8. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  9. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  10. One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive: Folks, There is something very odd going on with JUST ONE of my USB 3 ports (one of the two on the front panel) on my new system that has a "clean" install of Win 10 Pro. A few days ago I tried to use that port and Windows did not recognize any USB drive that I inserted....