Windows 10: USB 3.1 flash drive suddenly malfunctioning when plugged into 2.0 slot

Discus and support USB 3.1 flash drive suddenly malfunctioning when plugged into 2.0 slot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, So I was using my 3.1 usb flash drive in the 3.0 slot of my laptop and decided to try another port out. After switching and plugging into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Obfusc8, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Obfusc8 Win User

USB 3.1 flash drive suddenly malfunctioning when plugged into 2.0 slot

Hi,

So I was using my 3.1 usb flash drive in the 3.0 slot of my laptop and decided to try another port out.

After switching and plugging into the other 2.0 slot, I copied and pasted data to test if it was working correctly and compiled and built a .c program. After using the usb for a minute or two, windows gave an error regarding that the usb device has malfunctioned yet it works fine in the other 3.0 slot.

From the event viewer the messages that showed up were :

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR5 during a paging operation. " and "The IO operation at logical block address 0x114c0 for Disk 1 PDO name: \Device\000000c8 was retried."

If I plug the usb into a generic 3.0 hub and then to the usb 2.0 port it works fine.

Is this a problem with my usb or my usb 2.0 ports?

:)

Obfusc8, Mar 27, 2020
  2. DoItJust Win User

DIMM slot 1, 3 or DIMM slot 2, 4?

Page 1-23 in the manual;

1. (2) Supports two (2) modules inserted into either the red slots or the black slots as onepair of Dual-channel memory con guration. We suggest that you install the modulesinto slots A2 and B2 for better compatibility.

DoItJust, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Mar 27, 2020
  4. bngchucky Win User

5870 Not Flashing

I had the exact same error and this is how i fixed it
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have been suffering messages such as 'Adapter not Found' , 'ERROR 0FL01' , 'Invalid Adapter or BIOS Selected' when trying to flash or reflash your Video cards Bios and you are lucky enough to own a PC capable of running more than one PCI-E Video card then this could just be the Guide you've been looking for.

--------------
    Required Files
    --------------
    *HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...reg_R1002_USEN
    --------------
    *USB Boot Files
    http://www.4shared.com/file/43544416...FILES.html?s=1
    --------------
    *ATIFlash
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...sh 3.79.html
    --------------
    *Your Video Cards Bios
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...ace=&memSize=0

------
    Part 1
    ------
    Step 1 Create USB Boot Drive with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Step 2 Copy all the USB Boot files to the USB Boot Drive (do not overwrite files when prompted)

Step 3 Copy ATIFlash files USB Boot Drive

Step 4 Copy new BIOS file to USB BOOT Drive (name it something like bios.bin as you will be using this name in a DOS Prompt later on)
    ------
    Part 2
    ------
    Step 1 Boot into 'Safe Mode' (by pressing f8 before booting into Windows)

Step 2 Uninstall ATI Drivers and Associated Software then Reboot
    \
    Step 3 Go to Device Manager 'Display Adapters' and Uninstall (including Software when prompted)

Step 4 SHUT DOWN your PC (DO NOT REBOOT, if you should so happen to Reboot repeat Step 3 above)
    ------
    Part 3
    ------
    Step 1 Remove your Video Card from the top PCI-E slot and place it in a different PCI-E slot (this is the step that sets this Guide apart from all the others)

Step 2 Reboot into your Mobo's Bios

Step 3 Once in your Mobo's Bios change the first Boot Device to USB-HDD (or your Equivalent setting) then Reboot

Step 4 At the C:\ Prompt type, atiflash -ai 0 ,this will provide you with proof that your Video Card does infact exist

Step 5 At the C:\ Prompt type, atiflash -unlockrom 0 , i suggest you do this because some Bios files are infact locked and can't be flashed until unlocked

Step 6 At the C:\ Prompt type, atiflash -f -p 0 bios.rom , this is when your Bios is actually flashed

Step 7 Once your Bios has been flashed simply 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to restart your PC

Step 8 Go straight back into your Mobo's Bios and change your first Boot Device back to what it was (probably HDD) then Reboot for the final time and your finished
    ------

bngchucky, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

1. USB 3.1 flash drive suddenly malfunctioning when plugged into 2.0 slot - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. System will occur BSOD after change the primary SSD from slot 1 to slot 2/3 when fast...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System will occur BSOD after change the primary SSD from slot 1 to slot 2/3 when fast...: Is it a normal usage that system can switch SSD to another SSD slot when system hybrid shutdown?From another article I saw have told us the difference between hybrid shutdown and normal shutdown,But it didn't said that the behavior if can switch...
  3. System will occur BSOD after change the primary SSD from slot 1 to slot 2/3 when fast...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System will occur BSOD after change the primary SSD from slot 1 to slot 2/3 when fast...: Is it a normal usage that system can switch SSD to another SSD slot when system hybrid shutdown?From another article I saw have told us the difference between hybrid shutdown and normal shutdown,But it didn't said that the behavior if can switch...
  4. Malfunctioning applications when a USB is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malfunctioning applications when a USB is plugged in.: I have a Brand New Dell Vostro 3510 which I've set up using Windows 11. When my headset or even the internet cable is connected to my computer, it somehow malfunctions the applications that are opened. The applications begin to freeze Would someone know the solution to this?...
  5. Malfunctioning applications when a USB is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malfunctioning applications when a USB is plugged in.: I have a Brand New Dell Vostro 3510 which I've set up using Windows 11. When my headset or even the internet cable is connected to my computer, it somehow malfunctions the applications that are opened. The applications begin to freeze Would someone know the solution to this?...
  6. USB 2 TB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 2 TB flash drive: My computer read this usb drive at one time now isnt reading it. Can anyone help. I checked the drivers and the settings but it hasnt helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-2-tb-flash-drive/8eaf1b7f-26d1-4e4d-9152-065263607892
  7. USB mouse stops working when USB flash drive is plugged in.

USB mouse stops working when USB flash drive is plugged in.: Hello. I have a problem with my USB 3.0 ports on 2 of my PCs. Problem description: Windows 10 Pro, genuine, with latest updates, latest drivers original, not driverpack or other s*** and BIOS. System is on WD NVMe SSD on one PC and Samsung sata SSD on the other one....
  8. Annoying warning plugging in usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Annoying warning plugging in usb flash drive: When I Plug in a USB Flash Drive, I get This Annoying Message . Camera Upload. Keep Your Memories Safe. All your photos and videos will be automatically saved to dropbox. How can I get rid of or dissable this warning/message...
  9. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587
  10. DIMM slot 1, 3 or DIMM slot 2, 4?

DIMM slot 1, 3 or DIMM slot 2, 4?: New PC conf. and I got RAM question, shall I put the memory sticks in SLOT 1/3 or stay with my current setup 2/4? Intel Core i7-4790 3.6g 1150 Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 DDR3 1600 CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP 16GB (2X8) 240PIN DDR3 1600 SAPPHIRE RADEAON R9 380 NITRO 4GB DDR5...