Windows 10: USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

Discus and support USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 with Windows 10 Home. It came with a 1TB hard drive and I recently bought a WD blue 3d nand sata SSD m.2 500gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Seb_RDurocher, Apr 24, 2020.

1. USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 with Windows 10 Home. It came with a 1TB hard drive and I recently bought a WD blue 3d nand sata SSD m.2 500gb on which I would like to install a new Windows 10 boot. I have been following the instructions of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9, where I downloaded Windows 10 Installation Media on an everyday 16GB usb drive. I have made sure that the usb is formatted to FAT32. The USB has nothing on it except the installation media.

In the BIOS, I have tried booting in UEFI with Secure Boot disabled. However, when came the time to add a boot option, I selected the available USB picture 1. But then the computer asked me to select a file from the USB picture 2. This was unexpected as most tutorials do not mention any file selection. In fact, from my understanding, I only need to mention the USB and then follow the installation instructions, but this is not working. Somebody had a similar problem in another post, and it was said that bootmgr.efi should "technically" be the file to select, but selecting this file, of course, did not work.

I have then tried going with the legacy boot, which actually did allow me to access the windows installer from the USB, but when I tried to install Windows on the new SSD, I received the following message : "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partition style". Looking this message up online revealed to me that this is because I tried starting the BIOS in legacy, which made me conclude that this option was not going to work. Consequently, I gave up on using legacy and wanted to try UEFI again. Thus, I am here and asking for help. What is going on? Cheers.

USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files ae8c9a29-f6f4-40eb-a13b-4c88bca9e6d7?upload=true.jpg USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files a33a88ec-b3fc-4ac4-91c4-51400fe48484?upload=true.jpg

:)

Seb_RDurocher, Apr 24, 2020
  2. oldputter Win User

Media selection to boot from USB Recovery drive

I am trying to boot from my USB Recovery drive and need some help in my BIOS boot settings. I go to UEF Firmware Settings and selections to be able to boot from the USB Drive.

I have a File Browser Add Boot Option where I select USB: USB Flash Drive. After that I see Select Media File and have several folders and files to choose from.

File options are BOOTMGR, BOOTMGR.EFI, & REAGENT.EFI. XML.

Folders are System Volume Information, EFI, BOOT, & SOURCES which all gave multiple selections under each.

Can someone tell me what I should select to be able to boot from the USB drive so I can begin the restore / recovery process?

oldputter, Apr 24, 2020
  3. New install, select boot media

Messages are disappearing!
    Everything is,connected.
    Bios does not show other than in boot selection
    F8 allows me to boot to it and I get the media message
    Booted to USB, repair does not work
    CMD is basically useless to me
    I guess I reinstall

- - - Updated - - -

Cmd found the installation but when I hit Y to,add it to the boot list I get element not found

ChrisPbass, Apr 24, 2020
  4. oldputter Win User

USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

Media selection to boot from USB Recovery drive

Yes. The BIOS settings is where the question of media to select appears. After I select USB Flash Drive. After that selection is where I always move the USB boot option to #1.

oldputter, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

1. USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files - Similar Threads - USB Boot installation

2. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  3. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  4. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

"Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...
  6. Windows Media Installation not selecting the desired USB drive.

Windows Media Installation not selecting the desired USB drive.: I am currently waiting on parts to build my first computer, and I am currently on a Mac. Because of this, I needed to use a friend's PC to create the Windows 10 boot drive for me. I checked that he met all of the system requirements, as well as most of the general...
  7. USB not showing in boot selection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB not showing in boot selection: I just made a macOS Catalina boot drive on a SD card using a SD to usb and a VMWare macOS High Sierra. When I open my boot selection on my pc (windows 10) it doesnt show up. Any help? submitted by /u/Joester202 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't install windows installation media on USB.

Can't install windows installation media on USB.: I'm using a laptop with not much storage to install the windows media, to then install on my new PC, on a USB, but the installation process doesn't recognize the USB, and tries to install to the C: drive, which doesn't, and can't, have enough space for it. It doesn't give me...
  9. Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device: Title says it all. I just installed a new ssd drive and loaded W10 on it. All was working fine; W10 rebooted several times did updates rebooted and all was OK. I got to work connecting other drives and put case back together and then the no boot. I disconnected the other...
  10. New install, select boot media

New install, select boot media: Installed win 10 pro N from USB. Using all my memory didnt work previously so I Installed 10 using minimal memory. Updated, installed programs etc....browsed a bit. Shut,down, added new memory (it worked w win 7 for years but started acting weird, not showing up,etc....)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is the media file selection in boot menu