Windows 10: Usb boot issue

Discus and support Usb boot issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Succeeded in getting Win 10 to boot to my usb hard drives after weeks of banging my head against the wall but now it does work. Have now hit another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by anaron, Oct 24, 2016.

1. anaron Win User

Usb boot issue

Succeeded in getting Win 10 to boot to my usb hard drives after weeks of banging my head against the wall but now it does work. Have now hit another issue with booting to usb. The weekend, I installed a game for one of my Grandsons, Special Ops The Line. Game worked great and he had a blast. Well today I backup the primary drive to the Lacie usb3 ssd. Booted to the Lacie to make sure it worked which it did not! Backed up my backup internal drive to the Lacie which did not have Special Ops The Line installed and the Lacie booted. I uninstalled the game but the Lacie would still not boot. I restored the primary drive with the primary backup, backed up the Lacie and it booted. Took it another round and installed the game which again killed the booting to usb. So, apparently the game is causing the issue but I have no idea as to what to look for as this appears to be the only issue the game causes my computer. Any idea as to what to look at?

:)

anaron, Oct 24, 2016
  2. GTuin Win User

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I managed to repair the issue. The harddisk was set to inactive. With another bootable USB from partitionwizard I was able to activate the harddisk and ran a repair program. It fixed the errors (something the windows boot usb couldn't) After that I used
    the windows boot usb again for the bootrec.exe commands.

This time no errors and was able to boot into windows again.

Boot order was correct the entire time (used F8 for different boot disk to select the USB)

Problem solved!

GTuin, Oct 24, 2016
  3. Booting any windows

Hi,

A. Your USB boot drive is not properly made (try it in another computer).

How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10

Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

B. Your USB drive has a hardware issue when being read (unlikely) - try using a different USB drive.

C. Your computer has a UEFI BIOS and you have not disabled Secure Boot so it can boot from the USB. Check with the System Maker's Support and on-line documentation.

Create UEFI Bootable USB Of Windows 10

Create UEFI Bootable USB Of Windows 10

D. Your computer has a problem booting from even a properly made USB boot disk - possible if A, B, and C are not the issue.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Usb boot issue

Hi,It's great you're doing backups, but I'm puzzled I'm afraid- why are you trying to or wanting to boot from a backup drive?
    How are you creating the backup?

We recommend disk imaging which supports updates, and so allows you to restore your disks/partitions/files from images created at different dates. Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) is found to be reliable - very well supported and maintained.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  5. anaron Win User
    I use Casper 10 to clone the os drive to a second internal drive and also to a usb3 external drive. Years ago, I did not us an external drive for backups and lightning go my entire computer system which took days to completely rebuild. I first used Casper in 2003 to remedy this issue as my computers are and must be available 24 hours a day at a moments notice. If the primary os drive crashes for whatever reason, I can immediately boot tthe internal backup or the external backup and be back in operation is a couple minutes. Also keep a bootable backup off premises. Unfortunately, Windows 10 has created more issues and more crashes for me than any other operating system I have ever used since my days of punch cards, peg boards and magnetic tapes where humans was the os. Casper backups have saved my butt many, many times.

I do not see imaging as a viable benefit for me. Got to have a system image, a history of images of various dates and a recovery disk to bot a non-bootable hard drive before you can restore the image which may just be corrupted. Go back to an image that is not corrupted which just may be many many images back and restore the hard drive losing everything between the day you crashed and the day of a good image. What if your hd goes bad? You must then install the os before you can image the drive. I only need to plug one of my bootable hard drives into the usb port, boot computer to boot menu, select usb hard drive and I am up and running. I can then operate off the usb drive and later copy the usb drive to the internal drive.

anaron, Oct 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I guess I've been more fortunate with '10 than some.. although yesterday I started the day with an unbootable PC for no attributable reason and had to run
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Weird- nothing else wrong that I can see- but that's not a new issue in Win 10.

I agree- had fewer issues with Intel MDS's running on 8086's - or a paper tape system with a Motorola up.

Do you get any sort of error message when the PC fails to boot?

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  7. anaron Win User
    Sorry dalchina, dditing my other post while you were posting your question
    Yes, inaccessible boot device.

anaron, Oct 24, 2016
  8. anaron Win User

Usb boot issue

Just connected the usb drive to my win7 laptop and it booted with no problem.

anaron, Oct 24, 2016
  9. anaron Win User
    Know without a doubt the issue is caused by the Special Ops The Line install. Just do not know as to the specific reason for this issue. In looking for a solution, I found instructions to move the Steam and all game installs to another drive. Moved them to my data drive D: and bingo, problem solved. Granted this is a workaround and does not tell me what actually caused the issue but I will keep playing with it to find out why. dalchina, I appreciate your time and input. Should you come up with any idea as to what caused this definitely let me know. Gotta love this site! Don't know where I would be without Brink and and everyone on here. Joined the SevenForums in Sept 2010. Brink and his posse made my transition from XP to Win7 the best and easiest transition I have ever made and now TenForums is doing the same thing. Changes at my age do not come easy!!!! Thank all of you!

anaron, Oct 25, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Good decision. Clearly sthg low level is affected.. but sometimes it's best to sidestep it if not vital.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Usb boot issue

1. Usb boot issue - Similar Threads - Usb boot issue

2. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  3. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  4. USB issue during boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB issue during boot up: Hello, every time I boot my windows 11, not all my USB devices boot up. My webcam and USB HD or SSDs are missing. When I go into Device manager I notice a yellow triangle over Unkown USB Device Configuration Descriptor Request Failed and Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed...
  5. USB issue during boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB issue during boot up: Hello, every time I boot my windows 11, not all my USB devices boot up. My webcam and USB HD or SSDs are missing. When I go into Device manager I notice a yellow triangle over Unkown USB Device Configuration Descriptor Request Failed and Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed...
  6. USB Windows Install Booting Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Windows Install Booting Issues: Hey guys...I have spent the past two days going through different youtube videos and threads on this website for answers but haven't had any luck.I have a basic HP Pavilion laptop that is about 3 years old. Model 15-cd001ds. I installed a new 500gb SSD in it this week and...
  7. usb stick for boot issue

usb stick for boot issue: Hi, I want to build an usb stick for boot, to install Windows 10 Pro on an Acer 515-55 laptop. I purchased an electronic license, so I have to build my own stick. Bios needs FAT32 format stick, and ISO file provided by Microsoft on download is like 5 GB [it has...
  8. Windows 10 usb boot issue

Windows 10 usb boot issue: I have a windows 10 version 1803 installed pc. It works and boots fine but now I want to install verison 19H1 from a usb using iso file that I downloaded from microsoft.com . I made the usb bootable by rufus, unetbootin but booting never proceeds on showing the message...
  9. Usb Backup Boot Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Usb Backup Boot Issues: I have Windows 10 Home and use Casper 10 for my backup program. I can create a bootable usb backup with no issues. Have one created when I first setup Win10 that will boot. Since then, I cannot create a usb backup that will boot on Win10. I can boot the usb backup in...
  10. USB booting issues.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB booting issues.: Had this problem about a year or so ago. Also had so many issues with 10 I had to go back to 7 to complete some important research and projects. Went back to 10 a few months ago and have it running very well now except for an important issue. I use Casper 10 to create my...