Windows 10: USB booting issues.

Discus and support USB booting issues. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Had this problem about a year or so ago. Also had so many issues with 10 I had to go back to 7 to complete some important research and projects. Went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by anaron, Dec 30, 2017.

1. anaron Win User

USB booting issues.

Had this problem about a year or so ago. Also had so many issues with 10 I had to go back to 7 to complete some important research and projects. Went back to 10 a few months ago and have it running very well now except for an important issue. I use Casper 10 to create my bootable backup copies of the primary drive. In the event the primary crashes (which happens often due to the experiments I may be conducting), I can boot to the backup and be up and running again in seconds. This just is not the case with windows 10. I create the bootable backup but when booting to it, I get the "inaccessible boot device" blue screen. Casper support has been great at their attempts to get this resolved but we have all ran into a dead end. We did arrive at a somewhat less than desired workaround. The bootable usb3 backup will not boot but I can copy it to an internal hard drive and the internal hard drive boots perfectly. In stead of seconds to be back in operation it takes considerably longer this way. I firmly feel that for some reason windows 10 is blocking the usb3 booting. Looking for suggestions as to what to look for!
    Ron

:)

anaron, Dec 30, 2017
  2. GTuin Win User

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I managed to repair the issue. The harddisk was set to inactive. With another bootable USB from partitionwizard I was able to activate the harddisk and ran a repair program. It fixed the errors (something the windows boot usb couldn't) After that I used
    the windows boot usb again for the bootrec.exe commands.

This time no errors and was able to boot into windows again.

Boot order was correct the entire time (used F8 for different boot disk to select the USB)

Problem solved!

GTuin, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Booting any windows

Hi,

A. Your USB boot drive is not properly made (try it in another computer).

How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10

Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

B. Your USB drive has a hardware issue when being read (unlikely) - try using a different USB drive.

C. Your computer has a UEFI BIOS and you have not disabled Secure Boot so it can boot from the USB. Check with the System Maker's Support and on-line documentation.

Create UEFI Bootable USB Of Windows 10

Create UEFI Bootable USB Of Windows 10

D. Your computer has a problem booting from even a properly made USB boot disk - possible if A, B, and C are not the issue.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

USB booting issues.

A basic problem with USB 3.0 is the drivers for it are not in the BIOS while USB 2.0 is supported. The loading of the OS brings support for USB 3.0. Some computers have combo USB 2 and USB 3 ports and may get booting support. Also involved is MBR or GPT/UEFI boot devices.

Berton, Dec 30, 2017
  5. anaron Win User
    Won't boot off usb2 either. Gotta be a way - just have not figured it out yet! This was one of the reason I went back to 7 as it had no booting issues with usb.
    Ron

anaron, Dec 31, 2017
  6. It's certainly possible for Win10 to boot from USB - it's actually a feature called Windows to Go, which is available on volume-licensed versions of Windows and via some 3rd-party tools like WinToUsb.

When you are booting from USB is your old drive still connected? It looks like one of the things WtG does is disable access to internal drives.

PolarNettles, Dec 31, 2017
  7. anaron Win User
    Connected, disconnected, won't boot usb either way.

anaron, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

USB booting issues.

1. USB booting issues. - Similar Threads - USB booting issues

2. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  3. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  4. USB issue during boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB issue during boot up: Hello, every time I boot my windows 11, not all my USB devices boot up. My webcam and USB HD or SSDs are missing. When I go into Device manager I notice a yellow triangle over Unkown USB Device Configuration Descriptor Request Failed and Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed...
  5. USB issue during boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB issue during boot up: Hello, every time I boot my windows 11, not all my USB devices boot up. My webcam and USB HD or SSDs are missing. When I go into Device manager I notice a yellow triangle over Unkown USB Device Configuration Descriptor Request Failed and Unknown USB Device Port Reset Failed...
  6. USB Windows Install Booting Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Windows Install Booting Issues: Hey guys...I have spent the past two days going through different youtube videos and threads on this website for answers but haven't had any luck.I have a basic HP Pavilion laptop that is about 3 years old. Model 15-cd001ds. I installed a new 500gb SSD in it this week and...
  7. usb stick for boot issue

usb stick for boot issue: Hi, I want to build an usb stick for boot, to install Windows 10 Pro on an Acer 515-55 laptop. I purchased an electronic license, so I have to build my own stick. Bios needs FAT32 format stick, and ISO file provided by Microsoft on download is like 5 GB [it has...
  8. Windows 10 usb boot issue

Windows 10 usb boot issue: I have a windows 10 version 1803 installed pc. It works and boots fine but now I want to install verison 19H1 from a usb using iso file that I downloaded from microsoft.com . I made the usb bootable by rufus, unetbootin but booting never proceeds on showing the message...
  9. Usb Backup Boot Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Usb Backup Boot Issues: I have Windows 10 Home and use Casper 10 for my backup program. I can create a bootable usb backup with no issues. Have one created when I first setup Win10 that will boot. Since then, I cannot create a usb backup that will boot on Win10. I can boot the usb backup in...
  10. Usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb boot issue: Succeeded in getting Win 10 to boot to my usb hard drives after weeks of banging my head against the wall but now it does work. Have now hit another issue with booting to usb. The weekend, I installed a game for one of my Grandsons, Special Ops The Line. Game worked great and...