Windows 10: USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers

Discus and support USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a USB C Device a "24 Inch Pen Display" that becomes 'invisible' to Windows after being unplugged, disconnected, or after the computer is shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RWood27, Jan 17, 2021.

1. RWood27 Win User

USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers

I have a USB C Device a "24 Inch Pen Display" that becomes 'invisible' to Windows after being unplugged, disconnected, or after the computer is shut down or goes to sleep. This does not occur every time I do any of the above; only sometimes.

By 'invisible' I mean that plugging in the device does not prompt the system to 'beep' as it usually would when a USB device is connected or disconnected, and the device does not appear in device manager -- it is as if nothing is plugged into that port.

The device only becomes visible again after I plug another device into the same USB C port, or plug the Pen Display device into another computer. And again, this is not consistent -- sometimes doing this will 'resurrect' the device on the first try; other times I have to try repeating these actions in various combinations before Windows apparently at random decides to stop 'ignoring' the device.

Some things to note:

- The device is ALWAYS detected by my partner's MacBook suggesting the device is not faulty

- My computer ALWAYS detects other devices plugged into the same USB C port suggesting the port is not faulty

- The device NEVER loses connection whilst in use suggesting that the issue occurs when the device is disconnected via cable unplugging or the computer switching off

Things I have already tried:

- Uninstalling device drivers

- Using the 'show hidden devices' function of device manager to show all previously connected USB devices, and deleting them

- Updating, uninstalling, and reinstalling the drivers for my USB Root Hub and all USB devices

- Updating my chipset drivers

- Disabling USB selective suspend

- Locating the Pen Display in device manager and unchecking 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
    - Doing the same for all of my USB controllers

- Disabling 'fast startup'

- Running the hardware troubleshooter

- Running SFC scan from the command line

- Using the command line to disable hibernation

- Updating Windows to the latest version

- Using USBDeview to view all USB devices ever connected and delete old entries

- Using CCleaner to clean the registry

I am completely baffled by this issue. The only ideas I have is that perhaps a registry entry somewhere has gone awry, but I don't know enough about the registry to know where I would go to purge USB device entries.

Given that the issue occurs when Windows loses connection with the device, I wonder if the USB C port or the device controllers are somehow 'deactivating' the device, or blacklisting it somehow?? I am honestly at a loss here.

For a while I thought the USB C port might be set to deactivate when a device is removed, but given that other devices always work in that same port even immediately after it has 'lost' the Pen Display I don't know if this can be the case.

I would welcome any and all suggestions for things I haven't tried!

:)

RWood27, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Widjaja Win User

Lightning Storm makes my computer to produce sound of a removable device plug-off

The Aliens are coming.
    First step to World domination, unplug USB devices.

Widjaja, Jan 17, 2021
  3. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

The USB ports started failing intermittently again and then permanently.

Reinstalled 1703 again and that fixed it for a while then they started failing again.

When I plug in any peripheral it shows up in device manager with the exclamation mark.

I right-click 'update driver'
    Choose 'browse my computer...'
    'Let me pick from a list of...'
    Select the best candidate

Then the device will work. Until it is unplugged and plugged in again...

Then we are back to square one for that device.

Are there any suggestions for kicking the USB hub back to life so it recognises ordinary USB devices like mouses and keyboards without a manual driver update?

mojorising, Jan 17, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers

Belkin Expands Line-Up of USB-C Accessories

Belkin today announced the expansion of its USB-C product offerings.Designed to support existing and future USB-C laptops, smartphones and tablets, the new line of Belkin USB-C solutions allows users to charge, transfer, and sync at the fastest speed possible today. Available in the spring, the new USB-C solutions include a 4 Port Mini Hub, USB-C to HDMI Adapter, USB-C to USB-A Home Charger, USB-C to USB-A Car Charger, and MIXIT↑ USB-C Cables. The new Belkin USB-C accessories will be on display at the Belkin Booth (South Hall Booth #30445) at the CES Show January 6-10.

Designed with two USB-C and two USB-A ports, the Belkin 4-Port Mini Hub expands the functionality of any USB-C enabled laptop. Simply plug the USB-C tethered cable to the laptops port and connect the desired USB-C peripherals or accessories such as a flash drive, mouse, keyboard, or a printer. For connecting your USB-C-enabled device to your HDTV or 4K/Ultra HDTV, Belkin offers the new USB-C to HDMI adapter. The new adapter supports 4K resolution at 60 Hz (4K@60Hz) for the ultimate viewing experience.

USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers 32a_thm.jpg

For charging at home or in the car, the USB-C to USB-A Home and Car charging kits safely charge the latest USB-C enabled smartphones and tablets. Each charging kit includes a 6-foot USB-A to USB-C cable and a charger that offers a 2.1 Amp output for charging. Additionally, the USB-A port is universal, so it can be used with other types of cables to charge smartphones, tablets, wearables, or other devices that charge via USB-A.

"Belkin is dedicated to creating quality products that support the current standard and make the transition to USB-C a flawless one," Melody Tecson, director of product management at Belkin. "As industry leaders, we understand the importance providing products that flawlessly integrate into people's lives, while also educating consumers about what this new standard means. We have a devoted USB-C resource center where users learn more about the benefits of USB-C, and find the right cable for their devices."

Durable and flexible, MIXIT↑ USB-C to USB-C cables securely plug into any USB-C enable device for a quick charge and sync of files. Also included in the MIXIT↑ family are Belkin's USB-C to USB-A cables for charging existing devices.

Belkin's new USB-C solutions:

4-Port Mini Hub- $49.99
    • 2x USB-A Ports
    • 2x USB-C Ports
    • 5Gbps Data Transfer Speeds (shared)
    • Powered through USB-C host device
    • Tethered Type-C Cable for easy access
    • Charge peripherals with 900mAh (shared)
    • USB-C to HDMI Adapter - $49.99
    USB-C Male and HDMI Female
    • Supports 4K @60HZ
    • 15cm length
    • USB-C Cable + Car Charger - $29.99
    The charger connects to your USB-C device with the provided USB-A to USB-C cable. The universal USB-A charging port can be used with other cable types.
    Up to 2.1 Amps for charging smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other accessories
    6-foot USB-C cable for in-car charging, reaching easily from the CLA outlet to anywhere in the car, even to passenger seats, or hidden power outlets.
    Cable provides data transfer support up to speeds of 480Mbps
    USB-C Cable + Home Charger - $34.99

The charger connects to your USB-C device with the provided USB-A to USB-C cable. This universal USB-A charging port can be used with other cable types.
    Up to 2.1 Amps for charging smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other accessories
    Cable provides data transfer support up to speeds of 480Mbps
    MIXIT USB-C to USB-C Charge Cable (Metallic) - $24.99

MIXIT USB-C to USB-C Charge Cable (Classic) - $19.99

2.0 USB-C to USB-C
    • Connect between USB-C enabled devices
    • Reversible connector
    • 480Mbps data transfer rate
    • 3A charging output
    • 6 foot length
    • The braided cables are available in black, gold, silver, white, and gray
    • Standard cables are available in black, blue, pink, purple, red, green, and white
    • MIXIT↑ 2.0 USB-C to USB-A Charge Cable - $19.99
    2.0 USB-C to USB- A
    • Reversible connector
    • 3A charging output
    • 6 foot length
    • Available in black, blue, pink, purple, red, green, and white
    • MIXIT↑ 2.0 USB-C to Micro-USB Charge Cable - $19.99
    2.0 USB-C to Micro-USB
    • 3A charging output
    • 6 foot length
    • Available in black, blue, pink, purple, red, green, and white
    Also on display are Belkin's line of existing USB-C cables and adapters:

The implementation of USB-C technology means an improvement in the capabilities of everyday devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops. It will allow for USB-C enabled devices to be thinner and lighter, and will eliminate the need for users to carry multiple cables. All USB-C cables have a reversible design, which means that users can seamlessly plug their USB-C cable into the UBS-C port without worrying about the orientation or direction of the plug. Users will be able to rapidly charge, take advantage of USB 3.1 data transfer speeds between their external devices, and connect audio video outputs such as HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort with forthcoming adapters.

3.1 USB-A to USB-C Cable - $29.99

Connect USB-C enabled devices with standard USB-A devices
    • USB-IF certified
    • Reversible USB-C connector
    • 10Gbps data transfer rate
    • 3 foot length
    • 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Cable - $29.99
    Connect USB-C enabled devices with standard USB-C devices
    • USB-IF certified
    • 3 foot length
    • 3.1 USB-C to Micro-B Cable - $29.99
    Connect USB-C enabled devices with standard Micro-B devices
    • USB-IF certified
    • 3 foot length
    • 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable - $19.99
    Connect USB-C enabled devices to Mini-B devices and peripherals
    • USB-IF certified
    • 500MA charging output
    • 480Mbps data transfer speeds
    • 6 foot cord length
    • 2.0 USB-C to USB-B Printer Cable - $19.99
    Connect USB-C enabled devices to USB-B 2.0 devices and peripherals
    • USB-IF certified
    • 480Mbps Data Transfer Speeds
    • 6 Foot Cord Length
    • 3.0 USB-C to USB-A Adapter - $19.99
    Connect USB-C enabled devices to USB-A devices and peripherals
    • USB-IF certified
    • 1.5A charging output
    • Up to 5Gbps data transfer speed

btarunr, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

1. USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers - Similar Threads - USB device becomes

2. Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged: Hi All, Last night I pressed shut down on my pc and rgb lights on the pc were still going so i just switched off the power supply and unplugged the pc, and now today its just not turning on, there is power going to the pc but nothing happens when i turn it on. Its not a full...
  3. Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged: Hi All, Last night I pressed shut down on my pc and rgb lights on the pc were still going so i just switched off the power supply and unplugged the pc, and now today its just not turning on, there is power going to the pc but nothing happens when i turn it on. Its not a full...
  4. Computer Not Turning on after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Mouse pointer becomes invisible at times and semi invisible other times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse pointer becomes invisible at times and semi invisible other times: Hey guys,Not sure the best way to describe this issue, but recently my mouse pointer has been disappearing on me completely sometimes and other times it loses its black border or if I change to the full black mouse pointer, the whole filling which leaves just the white...
  6. Mouse pointer becomes invisible at times and semi invisible other times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse pointer becomes invisible at times and semi invisible other times: Hey guys,Not sure the best way to describe this issue, but recently my mouse pointer has been disappearing on me completely sometimes and other times it loses its black border or if I change to the full black mouse pointer, the whole filling which leaves just the white...
  7. USB devices stop working after unplugged, bluescreens after restarting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB devices stop working after unplugged, bluescreens after restarting: I made this post on r/techsupport but it's down right now and I can't find anything on google about this Iv been having a weird problem where after some time of using my computer the USB ports will stop working if I unplug them. I discovered this because I tried to plug my...
  8. Computer crashes shortly after being unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer crashes shortly after being unplugged: My Acer recently has been shutting down within 30 minutes of being unplugged. When it's plugged in, it works great. It's been a good computer and it's relatively new, but this completely shutting down thing is making me nervous. I made a mistake and accidentally left it in a...
  9. USB devices being labeled "Other Devices" with driver errors.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB devices being labeled "Other Devices" with driver errors.: I got a new USB headset and microphone for Skype and such. Plugged it in and got no sound, but the in-line mute and volume worked to control the built-in speakers in my computer. Looked in Device Manager and saw that the headset was listed under "Other Devices" with an...
  10. USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times: I have an odd problem with my USB keyboards on my Windows 10 machine. If I unplug them and plug them back in ~three times, they become unresponsive. The keyboards are still recognized by the machine and shows up under Devices, but won't send anything when I type on them....