Windows 10: USB-C not powering older external disks

Discus and support USB-C not powering older external disks in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I bought a very nice and impressive HP Spectre x360 Convertible. 8th gen core i7-8550U (1.8GHz). 512GB SSD with 8GB DDR3 RAM. It has 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Treble, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Treble Win User

USB-C not powering older external disks

Recently I bought a very nice and impressive HP Spectre x360 Convertible. 8th gen core i7-8550U (1.8GHz). 512GB SSD with 8GB DDR3 RAM. It has 1 'standard' USB3 port and 2 USB-C Thunderbolt ports.

My problem is that I can't run my older ext. USB disks. I bought a j5create hub with 3 USB3 ports, which is connected to one of the type C ports. Flash drives work perfectly, but not my large capacity (250GB to 4TB) powered ext. USB 2 & 3 disks. They work OK in the sole 'standard' USB port.

I tried disabling the enhanced power management option on the hub and ext. disks in their respective properties via Device Manager, but to no avail.

The new hub does have a 5v connection point, presumably for additional power. Maybe this will solve the problem, but at present I can't find a source in order to buy one!

I believe the C type ports are backward compatible, so my question is, do I need additional power through the hub, or is there another solution to my problem?

Thanks and kind regards.

:)

Treble, Jun 18, 2018

2. External USB Disk Error

I installed a Sandisk 128G SSD in a USB 3.0 case to use as an external mass storage device. It shows up in my device list and it shows up in the file list as drive F: as a USB drive, but it gives me an error asking me to install a disk. How can I fix
    this problem?

DavidBaucom, Jun 19, 2018
  3. USB powered external hard drive will not power down.

Hi Vikki,

To help resolve your concern with USB powered external hard drive issue, you can refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard, type
      devmgmt.msc, and then hit Enter.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click the USB Hub, and then choose Properties.
    • Click Power Management tab, and then enable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      option.
    If the issue persists, you can consider contacting your device manufacturer for advanced assistance regarding BIOS settings. The
    BIOS has unique USB port settings that can manage its power/electric flow.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jun 19, 2018
  4. michael Win User

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

1. USB-C not powering older external disks - Similar Threads - USB powering older

2. External Screens on USB-C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Screens on USB-C: Hi,I have a HP 830 G8 notebook, at my home-office I use a Sounix USB-C HDMI splitter, system recognizes the screens but I have no visual on both HPE232 screens. They do flicker on and off sometimes. The splitter is also externally powered.If I use a HP HDMI splitter and...
  3. External Screens on USB-C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Screens on USB-C: Hi,I have a HP 830 G8 notebook, at my home-office I use a Sounix USB-C HDMI splitter, system recognizes the screens but I have no visual on both HPE232 screens. They do flicker on and off sometimes. The splitter is also externally powered.If I use a HP HDMI splitter and...
  4. my USB External disk is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my USB External disk is not working: Hi there my USB External disk is not working which I was using on my other computer working fine.any helpThank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-external-disk-is-not-working/3aeaa99b-47e7-43e4-a714-bc281962c381
  5. external usb hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external usb hard disk not detected: my external hard disk not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-disk-not-detected/a54ed419-5284-4aff-9ac2-0168bc107bf2
  6. USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off: Hi, I recently bought a new USB-C monitor and I am experiencing a strange issue. The device will not power on unless it is connected to an external power source a wall outlet, but once the device is on, the USB-C is able to provide enough power to run the monitor. It...
  7. External USB disk drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External USB disk drives: I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration...
  8. USB-C problems powering older external disks

in Windows 10 Support
    USB-C problems powering older external disks: Recently I bought a very nice and impressive HP Spectre x360 Convertible. 8th gen core i7-8550U (1.8GHz). 512GB SSD with 8GB DDR3 RAM. It has 1 'standard' USB3 port and 2 USB-C Thunderbolt ports. My problem is that I can't run my older ext. USB disks. I bought a j5create hub...
  9. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467
  10. Problems Accessing External USB Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems Accessing External USB Disk: I have a PC dell i3 and a mini PC both with win 10, in the mini pc I have connected a usb disk of 1tb and I share it to see my movies, I gave permission to everyone in my network so that I can access it, if I do it The PC dell I have no problems, but if I try to access from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb c not powering usb