Windows 10: USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

Discus and support USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am getting weird problem where random popup windows about "The directory name is invalid" for many of the drives from my external USB card reader... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Mar 21, 2019.

1. madmax2 Win User

USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

I am getting weird problem where
    random popup windows about "The directory name is invalid" for many of the drives from my external USB card reader

These drives error messages are related to my USB card reader which does not currently have anything mounted.

USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives [​IMG]

USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives [​IMG]

:)

madmax2, Mar 21, 2019
  2. LloydZI Win User

USB multi-card reader- D:\ The directory name is invalid error

HI, I've already tried that. I have taken the card and formatted it in FAT, FAT32, and exFAT on my working Windows 7 Enterprise laptop. Once formatted, I move the card to my Windows 10 computer and I get the "D:\ The directory name is invalid" error when
    I put it in.

What's more, I cannot format the card in the Win 10 side until I run diskpart, and then delete and recreate a new primary partition. Only then can I perform a format on the Win 10 computer and only can I use the NTFS format (and no quick format either).

There is no hardware issue - cards all work fine in other computer - I'm using a brand new card reader in my Windows 10 computer - both it and the previous reader I had in both experience the same issues.

LloydZI, Mar 21, 2019
  3. The Directory Name Is Invalid

OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is that a file is somehow changed into a directory.

The problem is when I attempted to delete/remove the corrupted file/directory, I receive a 'The directory name is invalid.' error.

I've tried the following:

• Run chkdsk /f; no errors found.
    • Run WD Drive Utilities diagnostics; no errors found.
    • Checked dir /x looking for an 8.3 filename; no luck.
    • Taken ownership of the directory; no luck.
    • Tried a few file unlocker utilities; no luck (not reported as locked and delete fails).
    • Even tried an NTFS disk editor; no luck.
    I've spent the last three hours googling a solution. Nothing!

Anyone else ever encountered something similar and found a solution?

claytoncarney, Mar 21, 2019
  4. USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

DVD drive reports E:/ Directory name is invalid

I have found a solution; in my case, it was the card reader drives that kept coming up with the invalid drive name error. I restarted my computer and then refused to 'fix' the problem that came up asking me where I wanted to store the info on D drive.
    Then the invalid card reader discs went away.

DilysRobertson, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

1. USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives - Similar Threads - USB card reader

2. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  3. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  4. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid": Hi MS communityI've been having a problem with CDs tonight and it has driven up the wall! Every time I insert a CD into any of the 3 computers that run Windows 10 in my house they all come back with the same error that the directory is invalid. These are brand new never...
  6. The Directory Name Is Invalid

The Directory Name Is Invalid: Today I updated this laptop. Now all I see for the last 5 hours is this message: The directory name is invalid error message won't stop since I updated this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I have to clear or change or reset to get this to stop showing up,...
  7. The directory name is invalid ?

The directory name is invalid ?: Does anyone know the solution for the error 'The directory name is invalid '? I get this error whenever I put a cd or dvd in the cd/dvd rom drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/ec110e94-85e6-470b-b771-45b5ff46e3cc
  8. USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives: I am getting weird problem where random popup windows about "The directory name is invalid" for many of the drives from my external USB card reader These drives error messages are related to my external USB card reader which does not currently have anything mounted. [img]...
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    directory name is invalid: Hi I have just got this new desktop pc. After an update I am getting this annoying message, E:/ The directory name is invalid. I don't know what I have done. I did anything. I searched Google and found a post on this forum but I can't find the actual answer to the post. Just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. directory name s invalid on vivitar card reader

2. card reader the directory name is invalid

3. usb shows invald directory

4. How to resolve USB directory name is invalid?,
  5. directory name is invalid usb,
  6. what is the solution for files showing invalid in windows 32,
  7. usb card reader invalid directory name,
  8. usb directory name invalid,
  9. invalid directory name E: drive,
  10. how to fix a USB drive with E:\The directory name is invalid error