Windows 10: USB COM Port Issues

Discus and support USB COM Port Issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DHJ1827, Jun 2, 2020.

1. DHJ1827 Win User

USB COM Port Issues

On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I have 2 additional USB devices that need to be connected:
    A: which is a Arduino UNO and
    B: which is a USB/TTL UART adapter.

When I connect A, the Device Mgr shows it as the UART device device B. When I connect B, Device Mgr shows it as USB Serial Device COM4 device A. I can't update the driver for either because Windows doesn't see the correct driver ie. if I go to the Arduino driver folder to load the proper driver, Windows will not load as it's looking for UART drivers. It's as if the 2 devices have switched identities.

Can I "delete" this devices from the registry somehow and start over? I've tried deleting the devices using Device Manager but when I re-connect them, they assume their old identities.

I'm quite stuck on how to further troubleshoot or come up with a potential fix. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

DHJ1827, Jun 2, 2020

2. Issue with USB ports turning off

Hi Mattx1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Does the issue occur with all the USB devices plugged in to the PC?
    2. Does the issue occur when you plug in the USB device to any of the UISB port on the PC?
    3. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

Let us try these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: Suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

1. From the Settings screen, choose Update & Security.
    2. Select Troubleshoot. Look for Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and run it.
    3. Follow the on-screen direction to complete the process and if required please apply the fix it.
    4. Once it is done, please reboot the computer and check the status.

Step 2: Suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers on the PC to check if that helps.

1. Press ‘Windows + R’ keys, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run window and press Enter.
    2. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    3. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
    4. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.
    All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Article for Reference.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 2, 2020
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB COM Port Issues [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jun 2, 2020
  4. USB COM Port Issues

USB Ports

Hi Homer,

We'd like to ask a few questions to help us isolate this problem.

• Have you tried connecting your device tracker to a different USB port on your computer?
    • If so, was it detected?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

To address this issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps shared by Praveen Venogupal on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

USB COM Port Issues

1. USB COM Port Issues - Similar Threads - USB COM Port

2. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  3. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  4. usb com port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb com port problem: I am trying to use my win10 laptop to connect via USB to an Arduino UNO clone which has a CH340 chip. When I try to load the CH340 driver the installer reports "The drive is successfully pre-installed in advance". When the clone is connected to USB it should then show up in...
  5. Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Access Denied on USB Com Ports: I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10 Computer. When connected, the IDE recognizes the board and can see which COM Port it is using. It can even download the UNO...
  6. com port issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    com port issues: I am an amateur radio operator, I have two radios hooked up to two different com ports, there are additional programs that need to access these radios, N1MM logging software, SKCC logging software, and a few other programs. I shut everything down before I turn off my...
  7. COM Port emulation on USB Port

COM Port emulation on USB Port: I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter... However when...
  8. USB COM Port mess

USB COM Port mess: I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its drivers. Eventually I got it going. Now here's the problem- whenever I plug in my Arduino, Windows thinks its the USB-UART...
  9. Com Port Issue

Com Port Issue: Added Com port to windows 10 from legacy add option and got the error message below when I try to use the device: Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the Resource tab to set the configuration....
  10. usb not assigning a com port

usb not assigning a com port: my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-not-assigning-a-com-port/462324da-54ea-4a9e-b158-97992c4f4ad2