Windows 10: USB COM Port mess

Discus and support USB COM Port mess in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DHHJ, Jun 1, 2020.

1. DHHJ Win User

USB COM Port mess

I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its drivers. Eventually I got it going.

Now here's the problem- whenever I plug in my Arduino, Windows thinks its the USB-UART adapter and assigns COM3 to it. I've tried updating the Arduino driver but Windows doesn't see it (thinks its a UART now?). I've tried deleting and reinstalling but the Arduino still shows up as the UART.

How can I get back to where I was, with the Arduino happy again?! Thanks,

DHJ
    Windows 10-1909

:)

DHHJ, Jun 1, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB COM Port mess [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

USB COM Port mess [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

USB COM Port mess [​IMG]

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

USB COM Port mess [​IMG]

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jun 1, 2020
  3. USB Ports

Hi Homer,

We'd like to ask a few questions to help us isolate this problem.

• Have you tried connecting your device tracker to a different USB port on your computer?
    • If so, was it detected?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

To address this issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps shared by Praveen Venogupal on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 1, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

USB COM Port mess

USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

USB COM Port mess

1. USB COM Port mess - Similar Threads - USB COM Port

2. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  3. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  4. usb com port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb com port problem: I am trying to use my win10 laptop to connect via USB to an Arduino UNO clone which has a CH340 chip. When I try to load the CH340 driver the installer reports "The drive is successfully pre-installed in advance". When the clone is connected to USB it should then show up in...
  5. Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Access Denied on USB Com Ports: I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10 Computer. When connected, the IDE recognizes the board and can see which COM Port it is using. It can even download the UNO...
  6. COM Port emulation on USB Port

COM Port emulation on USB Port: I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter... However when...
  7. USB COM Port Issues

USB COM Port Issues: On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I have 2 additional USB devices that need to be connected: A: which is a Arduino UNO and B: which is a USB/TTL UART adapter....
  8. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  9. usb not assigning a com port

usb not assigning a com port: my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-not-assigning-a-com-port/462324da-54ea-4a9e-b158-97992c4f4ad2
  10. Configuring USB to DB25 as a Com Port

Configuring USB to DB25 as a Com Port: I am trying to use a Dell Optiplex 9010 sff with 2 USB to DB25 serial port to connect the PC to a piece of equiptment that recieves control instructions. when i connect the USB cables to the computer, in the device manager they show in USB section as "No printer Attached"...